Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our dog has Wobblers Disease

chp5

Our Great Dane is 18 months old. He's been having trouble laying down and standing up, but can walk and run fine. Today he began screaming like he was being stabbed.

After $2k in tests, the neurologist vet says he has Wobblers Disease - a malformation of the vertebrae in the neck that compresses the spinal cord.

We'll find out more tomorrow, but surgery is very expensive and has a good chance of not helping. Tough decisions lie ahead . . .

:(

Damn. I had a beautiful Dobermann named Tucker who got Wobbler's. I was told it's common in horses, too. If I remember correctly the condition occurs when the inside of the vertebrae continues to grow, reducing the inner diameter. This squeezes the spinal cord and causes various maladies. One common symptom is "Goose Stepping" (think, WWII German armed forces) with the front legs, more easily spotted when they are walking toward you.

The progression is pretty slow so you have some time to carefully weigh your options for treatment.

He's too young to have to deal with this crap...

:(

Damn. I had a beautiful Dobermann named Tucker who got Wobbler's.

He's too young to have to deal with this crap...

80% of Wobblers is found in the Danes and Dobs. The Dobs get it later in life, in Danes it usually rears its ugly head between 6-18 months.

Cy.....man I'm sorry you're going through this with your pup too. These pooches put tough decisions upon us to maintain their good health and family attachment. They are tough decisions but I trust you'll do whats right for him. Also consider having a Gastropexy performed when they neuter him(if you take that route). The Danes are on the top of the list at a 41% risk for Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus(GDV) aka "The Bloat". Its what Dakota has been going through and its not fun nor cheap. Gastropexy is insurance that it the stomach cannot rotate if/when he bloats and can easily be done when he is in for neutering. The outer stomach is stitched to the inner abdomen wall in one or two places. The Gastric Dilitation is bad but the Volvulus can be deadly if not caught quickly and surgery to correct it.Gastropexy can help prevent Volvulus. Start researching GDV on Danes now so you are prepared for it if it happens to you. Just do a search on GDV and several good results come up.

I wish you,your family and the pooch good luck with everything.

Sorry to hear that. I knew Wobbblers was common in the Dobermann becuase I had one. I knew someone who had to put their Dane down because of bloat(very common in breeds with deep chests).

Hopefully they can do something to ease the process.

So much bad news about people's pets on here lately(or is it just me?) If someone's dog has a litter, please post pics! We love puppies!!!

We spoke with the vet neurologist today. He said that the surgery could help Samson or it could make him worse, no good way to tell. The surgery has a relatively high chance of temporarily making him not be able to walk for 2-6 weeks after surgery. At 140 pounds, we could not pick him up to move him for bathroom breaks, eating, etc. That would require that we put him into long-term vet care for that time period.

Samson HATES going to the vet or being away from his family. He is only happy with us. For all of those reasons, we've decided to keep Samson with us and not have the surgery. When his pain becomes so great or he is no longer able to walk, we will let him go . . .

It's an excruciating choice, but we think it's the right thing. We'll tell the kids tonight. It's been an emotional day.

we feel for ya. years ago had a new dobi

he just started to fall every time he walked. we

felt that he was just young. went to a vet- got

the same story- we followed vets opinion- and

put him down- very sad day for the family.

Hey Man,

I am very sorry to hear about your puppy. One of ours developed a detached cruciate ligament in his knee. The vet diagnosed it and said that for $3000.00 we could perform a operation. The disclaimer was that during the recovery period, the pressure on the other leg would probably ruin the other knee. He was in such bad shape that he would not use his bad leg and would hold it up all of the time.

Don't laugh, but we prayed and started giving him this:

http://www.dinovite.com/?gclid=CJzl-vXVt5gCFQJ2xgodXEODZw

Months later, you would never know that he had (has) a knee problem. He runs and jumps (although we do not encourage it). Long story short, it changed his life and ours.

Positive thoughts inbound brother,

Tony

Cy,

All our fingers, toes and paws are crossed for you. It's not my pic, but lots of folks are saying an extra prayer for your pup tonight:

post-10163-1233287277_thumb.jpg

Every person here with a dog is probably in this group....

Damn......

yep... :( tough tough choices indeed. I'll put in a word for you tonight with the only one who can fix it, for what it's worth.

Dude they told you that they can't make garuntees because they HAVE to say stuff like that.

Hell my neurosurgeon said she couldn't make any promises with my surgery either.

I'd go ahead with it ..good luck either way .

My dog Daisy had cancer of the third eyelid...doc was saying no promises etc...we had the surgery for her and got more years out of her ......good happy years too.

Surgery cost me $2000+

Daisy was my pal....I loved her a lot (still do).

Whatever you do I'll say a prayer for you and your pal.

JK

Thanks for all the kind words. The test for Wobblers required the vet to tap into the spinal column and take fluid. That made Samson much more clumsy and weak in the legs, but it supposedly will reverse itself in two weeks or so. He's already recovering.

JKS - I know what you mean, but Wobblers surgery is "ify" at best right now. I've read it and heard it from multiple vets (including my cousin) and two GD breeders. I wish it were different, but it's not.

The disease is progressive and it will take him. It may be a month, a year or three years - no way to tell. In the meanwhile, we'll enjoy him being with us and appreciate the time we have.

Cy

• 3 months later...