Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Goodbye Corky

big_kahuna

My best friend Chris is overseas in Iraq (Army SFC). Our families are really close and we see them all the time. Chris' wife calls me up last week in tears... she says their dog, Corky, has aggressive cancer and is starting to suffer. We all love this dog so this news just sucks. The vet wants $400 to put the dog down. If Chris were home he'd take care of this, but he's halfway around the world. I tell her that I'll take care of it so she doesn't have pay the vet. We plan for Friday (my scheduled day off) so I can drive the hour down and pick up Corky for her last ride.

Yesterday was the day, and it was sprinkling rain. We all gathered at Chris' house to say goodbye to Corky. Everyone stayed at the house while two of us (me and another friend also named Chris) took Corky for a drive out into the wet gray desert... She loves riding in the car, loves playing in the desert and loves the rain, so she is really happy. Drove for a good long time. We found a good spot to put her to rest in, the foot of a hill by some trees and a gully. We played with her and got her good and tired. We then gave her a great last meal, special treats and last hugs. She was so happy and peaceful, as if the cancer eating her belly was forgotten. She passed instantly with no suffering. I took a few minutes to cry and pray. We laid her to rest in a deep grave between the trees, and covered her grave with a couple hundred pounds of big, beautiful mossy rocks to keep the coyotes from bothering her. Man, that sucked.

Drove back to the house and told the family it was done. That sucked too. A few hours, some beers and many stories later we had celebrated Corky and the way she enriched our lives. Well, that feeling didn't last long for me. One day later and I feel pretty damn lousy.

You did the right thing for the right reason.

I know how you feel but at the hands of a stranger in unfamiliar surroundings would have made it worse for Corky. I have had dogs all my life, from great hunting dogs to family pets and I never let a stranger do what needed to be done. I handled it in the same manner as you.

Sleep well friend.

You did the right thing for the right reason.

I know how you feel but at the hands of a stranger in unfamiliar surroundings would have made it worse for Corky. I have had dogs all my life, from great hunting dogs to family pets and I never let a stranger do what needed to be done. I handled it in the same manner as you.

Sleep well friend.

Yes......

Thanks folks, the kind words really help. Everyone seems to feel a little better after a couple of days. I'm hoping we all get to see Corky again in the afterlife.

Carmoney asked:

That's too bad.

But what kind of vet charges $400 for euthanasia?? That's frickin' robbery.

My emotion-charged answer: I agree about the robbery. He seems like a damn vulture without any local competition... who preys on grief-stricken people when they are weakest and most vulnerable.

We lost both our dogs within 5 weeks of each other too old age. Vet came to our house so as not to cause them any further stress. Cost for us was irrelevant.

They were our babies and our house is a lonely place with out them.

Then this arrived from a friend via email, made us cry all the harder

I feel for you but good on you for being there when Corky needed you the most

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.

There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together.

Edited by ima45dv8