Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stan Smith Left the Range

Joe D

Just thought I would let everyone know that Stan Smith passed into a better life yesterday at 8pm. I talked with one of my shooting buds, Ron, and he assured me Stan was right with the Lord. Stan had been battling brain cancer for quite some time. Back last fall we all thought he had it whipped.

Stan had been an active Master Class IDPA shooter in Alabama for years. He always ran a stage at the Alabama State match.

The Lord was kind to Stan in that he had plenty of time to get his affairs in line. Stan was a very avid bow hunter. I have forgotten exactly how many deer he had taken with a bow, but it was over 300. Stan was a true outdoors man. He would travel to Canada to hunt and guide every year. Seems like he stopped on the way to shoot some IDPA matches. I know he shot the Idaho State match.

I will always remember what he said to me in my basement one night. He had brought all of his 1911s over for me to tune and fix the triggers. He had two Les Baers and two Kimbers. He said "If I had know about Kimbers when I first started shooting I would have never bought these Les Baers". Stan was frugal with his money.

See you soon.

Mark I looked to see if I had a pic of Stan from some classes we took back in the day but don't have them anymore. He was real close with Matt Sims and an instructor at Matt's school-Alabama Defensive Pistol Academy. He was an attorney that never talked about law but always about bowhunting. That may help bring who Stan was to light.

Mark I looked to see if I had a pic of Stan from some classes we took back in the day but don't have them anymore. He was real close with Matt Sims and an instructor at Matt's school-Alabama Defensive Pistol Academy. He was an attorney that never talked about law but always about bowhunting. That may help bring who Stan was to light.

Yeah, that's so familiar.

Even if I can't see the face right now I can tell it was a great loss for our small community.

Stan had a very full colorful life. He even wrote a couple of "adventure" books. It is a shame it was cut short. His services are Monday. I have looked for a picture, but all I have are some videos.

Stan had a very full colorful life. He even wrote a couple of "adventure" books. It is a shame it was cut short. His services are Monday. I have looked for a picture, but all I have are some videos.

Here's one. From a class we took with Sevigny. Stan did more in his 49 years than I could do in 3 lifetimes.

Randy

post-5613-1233321284_thumb.jpg