Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon .50 bmg press

With the cost of .50 ammo in AK at $45 a box of 10 I see being able to justify the cost of the press. With the components I have collected so far my reloads will cost me $1.52 per round. That's just shy of $3 a round savings on reloads. Meaning if I pay $1,200 for the press and priming system spending $1200 on Dillon equipment it will take 400 rounds to pay for itself. Most FCSA members speak highly of the Hollywood and Corbin press but there is absolutely no info I can find dated after 2010 that speaks about the BFR. Some into or a link would be greatly appreciated.

Just got off the phone with Dillon and first off they do not allow their dealers to sell the BFR press, this was confirmed through an Email I just received from Brian. Secondly the fella I talked to was Lee and he said he was unaware of anybody who has done a review on the press. He said the only thing that has really changed since the 2010 SHOT is they now offer a Tool/die? That will swage the primer pockets. Didn't really learn anything of use, BUT they are in stock!

What dies are you going to get? I was thinking about getting the RCBS dies and only getting the Dillon Priming and Swaging tools

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Edited by cworks

I may go crazy and get the carbide die from Dillion. I tend to like their dies. RCBS would be the second choice, I almost bought their entire rig for BMG, but have read reviews stating that the RCBS / Hornady press is good for bulk but not for match bullets. I looked at the other large presses / swaggers but I dunno… I really didn't want a single stage, the issues with swapping dies, etc. Topping it all, I have had nothing but the best of service from Dillion over the many years I have owned a 650. From spare parts without undo questions, to assistance with setup / usage back when I was starting. I've probably cranked out tens of thousands of rounds out of that 650 now, and have replaced all manor of parts that wear down… but the machine keeps working flawlessly.

I could see getting this press, and then moving my dies (once they make a down-sizing insert) to do my .308 match bullets on this vs. the progressive - just to have that much more stability.

Thanks! I will probably post more now that I finally made an account. ;)

• 1 year later...

I have one- wife bought it for me last year for Christmas. I have a RCBS 50 single stage press, and used it to load a couple hundred rds before I got the Dillon. Bolt it to something solid. Then look out. Huge, solid machine, makes sizing much easier. I havea lot of brass in various stages of completion so I am not really using the "progressive" feature yet, but I Like the machine. Down side, is I got several thouand rds of factory 50 fodder ( LAKE City new ammo) for about dirt cheap, and it does not really pay me to load 50 right now. Powder and components will just have to be purchased cheap when I find them, and stored....... But I like the Dillon - but it is not BLUE!

• 2 weeks later...