Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

Question: Who makes / sells .40 Comps? I don't seem to be able find any on the net.

Or do I just order a 38 comp and have the gunsmith bore it out? Thinking of converting my back-up STI to an .40 Open. Thanks.

Try gansguns.com

Gary Natale lists several comps in 40 cal. I have the Model 5, but was also considering the #12.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally have a chance to chrono a 165gr Auto-Comp load tomorrow. I'll post here the results. BTW, the bullet is a Rainier RNFP. Came across a box that I thought I shot up. :wacko:

Jim

I have done HS6 and 165"s and autocomp and 155's lately and the 155"s shoot better. I learned a lesson last match i was shooting both bullets depending on what magazine i was using because i was trying to use up all of my 165 rounds and I wouldnt recomend doing this. Lots of misses I didn't call.

Finally have a chance to chrono a 165gr Auto-Comp load tomorrow. I'll post here the results.

Snappy. Flat and very comfortable.

Used 6.6 grs Auto-Comp, the SJC G35 conversion and stock barrel.

20 rounds averaged 1102 FPS

for a PF of 181. ES was 42.

Dropping a few 1/10th's next time. Should be right there.

Jim

I loaded 6.8 of autocomp 155 montana gold bullet glock35

The average velocity 1115.7

The average PF 172

The lowest PF 168

Edited by rupie

• 3 weeks later...

Never used them in .40 but back in the early 90s I used them in my 38 super load. Why? Because back then you needed all the extra boost you could get? Didn't make sense to me either since my load was making around a 200PF at the Nats when I went. Sorry Ken! ;-)

Anyone use small rifle primers for their .40 open loads? And, if you do, why?

Anyone use small rifle primers for their .40 open loads? And, if you do, why?

I used them a lot in .40 Major loads for Limited with good success. I'd suspect they'd work as well, or better, for .40 Open Major loads.

I went that way so I could buy just one kind of primer to use in both .40 and .38SC. R,

Its all I have ever used in my open loads. I thought the small rifle primers would give me more FPS. If I remember right someone from the forum actually chronograpched and did some checking about the differences in primers. I think they said there is no difference between the two except that small rifle was a harder primers. Whatever company they checked with there is no velocity increase and when they chronographed it confirmed it.

Someone correct me if I'm not remembering right.

I knocked all the rust off my 40 Open gun yesterday and took it to a match

Flyin

Question for all of you .40 open guys:

I've decided that I want to shoot open instead of limited. I already have a 5" STI .40 custom limited gun much like an Edge (Long Wide frame, Tri-top slide and bull barrel).

My choices are:

1. Sell the limited gun and mags to help fund the open gun purchase.

2. Convert the gun to an open .40

What would I need to do to convert it?

Parts: Threaded barrel, comp, C-More Sight - Anything else?

Labor: Fit barrel, fit comp, mount sight - anything else?

I had a 5" 40 cal top end fit to my frame so that's what I went with. I had to get a few parts (optic, mount, comp, recoil spring) and have some smithing work done (turn down barrel from bull to classic diameter and thread it for comp, and mill on the slide to reduce weight). That was just about it. I elected to have Gary Natale (gansguns.com) do the work and couldn't be happier with the process and the work he performed. Now I just need to get the thing back out and practice with it some more. Been shooting my 6" Limited top end most of this season.

So, I know I'm going to shoot open, the force is just to strong. Money will be an issue for me . So if I get an open top end and have it done right, will it be competitive with the 38 supers and 9mm, assuming the shooter is competent. It would be alot easier to just load 40

Based on your assumption, no the gun won't hold you back. It might once you have reached Master (+/-). The limited mag capacity could bite you competing at the highest levels. But for bangin' around at your weekly club matches? Non issue. Have at it. Enjoy!

Jim

So, I know I'm going to shoot open, the force is just to strong. Money will be an issue for me . So if I get an open top end and have it done right, will it be competitive with the 38 supers and 9mm, assuming the shooter is competent. It would be alot easier to just load 40

Its competitive at all levels. The mag capacity issue really isn't as big as people make it out to be, I'm starting with 27 rounds. I have shot a ton of major matches including nationals and its never been the gun or the capacity. There is always a place to reload on field courses. Now don't get me wrong, if your starting out and have the funds go with a 9mm or 38 but I was in the same boat as you.

Just know if your going to use your frame for a limited gun also you will have to take the sight off and resight it in everytime you put it back on.

Also the biggest issue with the 40 open is the bullet choice, there just isn't alot out there.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

I dunno I think the mag will bight you alot more often. The its not so much looking for a reload point but shooting stages against people who dont reload at all. Last month I finished 3 (Limited) stages way higher than my class on 22 and 23 round stages as I have a 22 +1 magazine. Not having to reload at all on a stage opens things up a bit. Granted this was actually the first match all year that had 22 or 23 round stages so but then one match had 3. So go figure. I think any 28-31 round stage a 40 open guy will be at a pretty big disadvantage, All that being said I still want a .40 open gun. Cause I dont really care that much

• 3 weeks later...
I dunno I think the mag will bight you alot more often. The its not so much looking for a reload point but shooting stages against people who dont reload at all. Last month I finished 3 (Limited) stages way higher than my class on 22 and 23 round stages as I have a 22 +1 magazine. Not having to reload at all on a stage opens things up a bit. Granted this was actually the first match all year that had 22 or 23 round stages so but then one match had 3. So go figure. I think any 28-31 round stage a 40 open guy will be at a pretty big disadvantage, All that being said I still want a .40 open gun. Cause I dont really care that much

Actually if the stage is 28 or above there will a place to reload 99% of the time. It won't hurt you because there aren't too many guys that will run a 30 round course without a reload. Who is going to chance running empty if they take too many make up shots. Remember top guys take make up shots on D's and C's so they can get an A.

Actually what everyone overlooks is for a 40cal open shooter its not the bigger stages that matter. Its those stages that are 24,25,26 or 27. Thats where the difference in mag capacity comes into play. The guys with big mags don't even think about reloading even with extra shots.

Flyin

Jimmy,

how do you like that Jager Comp?

Does the gun shoot OK?

Yes. Shoots well. A lighter bullet in this confirguration will be optimal. I shot up some WWB 165 FMJ Value Pak stuff and it ran nice. Doubt it made major. I need MORE GAS. Nosler says their retailers will have the 135 JHP on shelves in Dec or early Jan. :rolleyes: Figures. I'll settle for 155's for the time being.

I LOVE TARGET FOCUS!

I need trigger time on this gun.

Hey all if your looking for 135 gr bullets. Zero has Raniers for 96.00 a thousand with free ship. They have both the RNFP and the JHP's.

who is zero

You mean what is Zero. Ammunition company out of Alabama

Hey all if your looking for 135 gr bullets. Zero has Raniers for 96.00 a thousand with free ship. They have both the RNFP and the JHP's.

thanks

Edited by rupie