Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
splashdown

40 Open

5 hours ago, NMinzghor said:

I'm running Bedell on both of mine with the two of the front side ports machined off.  Very flat shooting with 135gr and 8.5gr of Silhouette. 

What reamer are you guys using to ream a 9mm comp to work for 40cal? What made you machine the front side ports off the bedell comp?

You don't want to use a  reamer.  You'll have to make the hole larger than needed just to be sure bullets will clear.  You want to chuck the barrel in a lathe, center the bore, then bore out the comp.  I don't know of an 40sw Align Reamers, so you have to bore the comp concentric with the barrel bore.  0.020" over bore should be fine as long as you are aligned.

58 minutes ago, zzt said:

You don't want to use a  reamer.  You'll have to make the hole larger than needed just to be sure bullets will clear.  You want to chuck the barrel in a lathe, center the bore, then bore out the comp.  I don't know of an 40sw Align Reamers, so you have to bore the comp concentric with the barrel bore.  0.020" over bore should be fine as long as you are aligned.

My boss has a lathe so putting the barrel in a lathe and centering the bore would be easy. He does this all the time on rifle and pist barrels that he is threading for brakes/comps. He has all the fancy tools and could help me.

On 5/20/2018 at 2:30 PM, bjones6686 said:

What reamer are you guys using to ream a 9mm comp to work for 40cal? What made you machine the front side ports off the bedell comp?

Not sure on the reamer.  JPL built it.  The Bedell comes with 3 top ports and 4 side ports.  JPL cuts it back to two side ports.

20160203_135358_resized.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, NMinzghor said:

Not sure on the reamer.  JPL built it.  The Bedell comes with 3 top ports and 4 side ports.  JPL cuts it back to two side ports.

Are you using that one this season?  I've been thinking about 40 open a bit.  Are you going to PB this weekend?

Posted (edited)

Not to hijack this thread, but I find those using a 40 Open inspiring. It’s not the most common Open Gun you’ll find at matches, but it’s how well you do with what ya bring. I started in 2016 and couldn’t justify the $$$$ for an open gun at the time. So I went in cheap and slow, just to learn the sport and then upgrade as time went on.

Glock 22 Open Gun, in .357 Sig. Talk about way out there, I know it’s very uncommon. There are a few here that actually use this round and I have talked to that helped me get started. But I had good knowledge of reloading the round, since I own a Glock 32 for 18 years. Price was cheap and was able to get it to run good for me. I was able to beat some of the 2011, STI guys/gals at matches (possible I caught them on a bad day).

One thing about my brass at a match, the squad knows it’s what I shoot and they are kind enough to retrieve them. I actually have people months later that picked my brass and handed a baggy of 357 to me, from matches months earlier, funny too. The brass is easy to spot on the ground. I can get Speer once fired for .063 cents.

People say it’s loud, I am used to it, but it’s normal to me. Now I am at a stage where I would really like to upgrade to STI, CZ, 2011, etc.. But, I am behind on the vast amount info that is out there, it’s going to take months to read advice here and around, as to what is the best investment. I have also though about getting an STI with a .357 barrel. So far on my list is the CZ Czechmate and the STI DVC in 357 sig…lol. Ya I know.

Anyways, thought I would share in your enthusiasm with the “not the standard open gun” stories and ideas.

Glock 31 a.jpg

Edited by Lastcat

On 6/4/2018 at 4:42 PM, DukeEB said:

Are you using that one this season?  I've been thinking about 40 open a bit.  Are you going to PB this weekend?

Yes, I am.  I should be at Marysville.