Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Open

splashdown

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks NM

Tag, I was trying to stay away from VV powders because of availability and pricing. I ran n320 exclusively for my limited loads for a while but it got scarce and almost impossible to find. When I did find it, people were wanting 40-45 per lb. I ended up switching to Ramshot Competition and like it just as much if not better. 

Have you found any good loads witth vv? I see n340 seems to be popular for open.

Edited by WestTex

2 minutes ago, WestTex said:

Thanks NM

Tag, I was trying to stay away from VV powders because of availability and pricing. I ran n320 exclusively for my limited loads for a while but it got scarce and almost impossible to find. When I did find it, people were wanting 40-45 per lb. I ended up switching to Ramshot Competition and like it just as much if not better. 

Have you found any good loads witth vv? I see n340 seems to be popular for open.

I see. 

4 hours ago, WestTex said:

I think my lgs has a few bottles of 3n37 and n340, so if all else fails ill give that a run. 

What comp setup are you runniing Tag? 

I'm not running 2011 open.  I'm running a Glock 35, 2 popple holes on barrel and custom comp (2 or 3 ports) still testing.  

8.2-8.4 HS6. 165 gr., It seems to be ok. 

Edited by tag129

Yikes! I considered doing a carry optic with a vortex venom but I may reconsider now haha. 

Have you tried the delta point pro? I've heard nothing but good things and just ordered one to try out for myself.

3 hours ago, NMinzghor said:

8.55gr Longshot @ 1.155 OAL is what I'm using.  PF is in the 170s.

Have you used WAC or HS6? I'm curious how longshot compared to them. What kind of rig/comp setup are you running.

It has been so long since I tested loads but before I settled on Longshot,  I tried at least a half a dozen powders and loads.  I have two 2011s in 40 Open.  One SV bolt by Tony Kidd I believe it has a comp built by him - 3 port.   My other is built by JPL and has a Bedell with 3 ports plus side ports.post-2452-0-95263900-1454961388_thumb.jpg

Well, I tried 8.2, 8.6, and 8.9 longshot loaded to 1.165 with a 140 grain fp bullet . 

8.2 made major for me at 171 pf

8.6 was 175 pf and 8.9 at 177 pf.

8.2 was soft and the dot didn't leave the window. 8.6 and 8.9 actually felt the same and had a hard smack in the hand with no noticeable gain in muzzle control. I then loaded 30 more of the 8.2 but accuracy suffered and I had fliers.

Switched back to the 7.6 WAC and accuracy returned and muzzle rise felt the same as 8.2 longshot.

I'm going to try a EGW comp next and revisit HS6 because I do agree that it feels the softest but WAC has better dot tracking. I want to try a different comp configuration to see if I can tame the recoil a bit.

Edited by WestTex

On 6/10/2017 at 4:23 PM, NMinzghor said:

It has been so long since I tested loads but before I settled on Longshot,  I tried at least a half a dozen powders and loads.  I have two 2011s in 40 Open.  One SV bolt by Tony Kidd I believe it has a comp built by him - 3 port.   My other is built by JPL and has a Bedell with 3 ports plus side ports.post-2452-0-95263900-1454961388_thumb.jpg

That's a nice rig. 

I just couldn't get the feel for a slide ride so I moved to a delta point and it feels great so far.

WestTex, Have you tried CFE Pistol?

I've developed a load for my Shorty Forty G23 Open gun.  4.5" Barrel.  7.2 grains with a 155gr Rainier.  I can't seem to find chrono data, so maybe I haven't chronoed it yet.  "Feels like Major" LOL.  According to the load data it should be major.  8.2 grains should get you there with a 135gr bullet.

That was actually next on my list to try Splash. Based on 135 grain loads it was very close to WAC but I did notice CFE was around 70 fps faster for the same charge weight and slightly higher on pressure.  I'm wondering if going a tad under will give me good gas pressure and shoot a little softer compared to wac.

2 hours ago, splashdown said:

WestTex, Have you tried CFE Pistol?

I've developed a load for my Shorty Forty G23 Open gun.  4.5" Barrel.  7.2 grains with a 155gr Rainier.  I can't seem to find chrono data, so maybe I haven't chronoed it yet.  "Feels like Major" LOL.  According to the load data it should be major.  8.2 grains should get you there with a 135gr bullet.

Do you prefer 155s over 135 now? If so, have you tried any MG 155 hp? I was curious and went as light as I could economically but would be willing to to to 155s if I felt it would benefit me.