Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What cheap scope for under $300?

Aircooled6racer

Yup, buy a Millett or other cheap scope for $200... use it 6 months or a year.... get to shooting, practicing.... then if you decide you made mistake, yes, sell it for $200 and buy a Meopta or XXX..... where's the downside? At least you have a scope, are out shooting instead of waiting and saving money, waiting to be able to afford the mortgage on your new scope.

Hey, if you have the money, buy what you want; but if you are on a budget, and want to shoot now, instead of next year, get what you can afford and shoot the snot out of it. It'll make you appreciate a nicer scope that much more, later when you do upgrade.

Hello: I think you guys are getting my point now :cheers: I have found one of our local guys who has one of the Millet scopes that I can look at. He likes it alot and shoots with it very well. I have the Weaver which is on my Mech Tech right now and a C-more on the shelf. So I think it will be between the Leupold and the Millet so far. I will buy Merlins Meopta for $200 later :roflol: I appreciate all the help you guys have given me so far. Now I have to start building up my AR again. Thanks, Eric

Leapers ( found in Cheaper Than Dirt) make some real "kick a$$" scopes for around $79.95, one even looks like a TA-01 and if you read the discriptions for the rest of the scopes they make you wonder why ANYONE would waste his money on a "quality" optic ever. KurtM

You're terrible! :roflol:

I don't shoot 3-gun and know nothing about AR's, but I would like to help this poster.

What sort of power range do you need in a scope to start in 3-gun?

The reason I ask is because the Leupold 1-4X that Big Dave mentioned is one hell of a durable scope. I've shot the Leupold Vari-XII 2-7X on deer rifles for years and it has taken a beating. Both of these scopes are durable and can be found used for under $300.

Aircooled6racer: Don't drink of the Meopta Koolaid...Just don't do it...must resist.... On the brighter side Meopta does support our sport and I love them! I have 2...one on my match gun and one on my Nordic AR-22.

JD45: IMHO...a tactical scope should be 1 X 4 at least. I also like an illuminated dot for close targets, just seems faster! I believe you are best served by the 1 power and then let you skill/eyesight determine what power you can use and what distance of shooting you are doing for the higher power. I tend to attend matches (as of late) that require around a 450 yard shot...hence a 4 power is almost the least but again...price is a hinderance. I could really fall in love with the Swarski 1 X 6 but don't have the funds (like everyone else) to plop down $2,000 plus or minus. I believe you get what you pay for but there is a line somewhere. I myself am better served by using the extra monies on practice ammo and time at the range:-) I am waiting for Leupold (my favorite scope maker) to come out with a true 1 X 5 illuminated scope, time will tell and I have talked to them about it but I believe it has fell on deaf ears.

Hope this helps,

RLTW,

Scott