Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need scope mounting options

Intel6

I picked up a factory SVI open gun that was made back in 1998 and originally came with an Aimpoint mounted in a single sided mount on the the left side of the frame. This has a raised pad on the frame to mount the scope mount to in order to hold the mount away from the side of the slide.

I am not sure but I think the original mount had only 3 holes? A rough measurement it looks like the distance between the centers of the 1st and 3rd hole is 1.250" I think The previous owner took a 5 hole Dawson mount and using the middle hole had two new holes drilled on either side of the middle hole. These two holes look different and aren't chamfered like the other 3.

The mount works OK but isn't as solid as it could be as it is only using 3 screws that are close togeather. The other odd thing is that the Dawson mount is made to be mounted to a regular dustcover and has a pad to hold it off the frame. This mounted on top of the frame mounted pade means the scope is not on the centerline of the gun but off to the left. It works fine and I have shot a few matches with the gun so it works.

So my big question here is what are my options for putting a C-more on this gun?

I am thinking probably it is to get an undrilled Dawson mount and get the holes drilled to fit the exisitng holes. If that is the case, will the Dawson work with just the original 3 holes or does it really need the 5 holes? And if the Dawson is used, can the pad be milled off the mount so the scope is centered? I am also wondering if the pad is taken off the Dawson mount, is there enough metal left to work?

I appreciate any advice,

Neal in AZ