Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2009 Mississippi Classic

Welcome to Mississippi! Hopefully we will have great wather again as we have had the last few years, but not to worry. if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change. :lol:

Seriously though, come on down and have a good time. We need all the good wheel-gunners we can get. You are shooting Revolver, aren't you? <_<

See you there!

BTW, early Happy Birthday.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Application in the mail today. Never been to Mississippi let alone this match. Going to celebrate the 39th birthday on the range.

39.... right..... keep sayin that. :rolleyes:

I think John has special accomodations for Birthday-Boys.

May 17th 1970. 13 days following Kent State. Sixteen years after Brown v. Board of education.

No special accomodations needed! I just want to shoot a good match well. :surprise:

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the long wait on the Hotel info. We have a block of rooms booked in the Holiday Inn Express in Byram MS. The rooms are $80/night and are booked under the block name "Mississippi Shooting Classic". You can reach the front desk directly by calling (601) 346-8118.

I've been holding off on announcing it because the woman I've been working with has been trying to set us up with a special online booking code. That part still isn't ready yet, but they've only been open for three days now so I guess it's understandable that they have some kinks to work out. I think the match is far enough out that they should have those bugs worked out by the time you guys show up. If you DO have any problems getting booked, ask to speak to Emily or let me know.

The dining opportunities are a little limited in the Byram area, but there are a few good ones as MrClean described and there are plenty more once you get up into Jackson which is only about ten minutes north. Having a quality hotel so close to the range should make it super convenient for competitors going back and forth and I'm really excited about it.

John

Any word on the online code?

No word yet on the online code but I haven't asked in awhile so I'll check on that today and let everyone know.

I've also gotten a few folks this year asking about our format as far as who shoots what and when. We're doing the same format we always have, so I guess this is a good sign that we've gotten entries from quite a few new shooters this year. For anyone not familiar with the match, here's how we do it.

We'll be setting up the stages and getting everything ready on Wednesday and Thursday of that week.

On Friday the 15th, the Range Officers and Vendors will do an all out assault shooting all ten stages plus chrono in one day. This gives the staff a chance to get the match in and also helps us work out any kinks in the stages (activators not working right, etc.) before the regular competitors get there.

The bulk of the regular competitors will be getting into town sometime Friday afternoon/night as their schedules allow. We'll have a registration that evening so everyone can pick up t-shirts, score sheet labels, etc. and make sure that their registration information is accurate and up to date. In the past we have always done this at the hotel, but since the hotel is so close to the range this year we'll probably just do the registration there at the range. A lot of people like to come by the range early on Friday to scope out the stages anyway, and we have no problem with that as long as they don't interfere with any of the RO squads that are trying to shoot the match.

The main match starts on Saturday morning. We'll have a brief shooters meeting and welcome that morning and then we'll get started. We have ten stages, the chronograph station, and a break period effectively giving each squad 12 "places" to go during the match. Having one squad on break each hour allows us to get one more squad of shooters in and gives that squad a chance to visit the vendors, etc. We schedule a rotation every hour (average of 12 people per squad @ 5 minutes per shooter), but if the weather is good and the squads are working right, we typically run ahead of schedule. We send half the squads to lunch around 11 and the other half at noon to try to keep from swamping the food vendor and then everyone goes right back to shooting after lunch. Everyone will go to 8 "places" plus eat lunch on Saturday and then have four places to go on Sunday. Depending on the squad you are in you will shoot six to eight stages on Saturday and then the remaining two to four stages on Sunday morning.

Once all the shooting is done around noon on Sunday, we'll get the stage scores posted, give everyone a chance to look them over and get any errors corrected, and then we typically ask for the shooters to help tear down the last stage they were on while we get the awards and prize table ready.

Everyone has an opinion on how these things should go. Some favor rewarding performance only and others want everything to be random. We try to strike a balance by doing some of both. We give out plaques and prize money checks to shooters based on the participation in their division. Three shooters in a class/division for a first place, five for a second, seven for a third along with High Overall, State Champion, and the various special categories such as Lady, Junior, Senior, Super Senior. The prize table itself is done by random drawing. You won't take home a plaque and check if you don't have a good match, but you'll still have a chance at a good prize like a Springfield XDm, a Shooter's Connection Tournament bag, or a Dillon press. You do have to be present to win though so it's worth sticking around for.

We should have everything wrapped up and get shooter's on the road by 3:00 or 3:30 on Sunday afternoon.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any other questions about the match.

John Heiter

Match Director

2009 Mississippi Classic

Edited by John Heiter

Just filled out my form and wrote the check to attend the MS Classic. My son (9 years old) will be competing with me, in seperate classes thankfully. This will be our first major match. I've now got all my handloads right. Now I just need to find a Texas Star to practice with. Does anyone know of a club within 2 hours of the Mississippi Gulf Coast that has a Texas star?

Ok, I finally got the hotel website issues worked out and we now have online booking setup. We were their guinea pig for getting it setup so it took a few tries but I think it works. I've tested it right up to the point of actually booking the room and it seemed to work so please let me know if anyone has any problems with the system.

Match Hotel - Online Booking

Looking forward to seeing everyone in a couple months.

John

Ok, I finally got the hotel website issues worked out and we now have online booking setup. We were their guinea pig for getting it setup so it took a few tries but I think it works. I've tested it right up to the point of actually booking the room and it seemed to work so please let me know if anyone has any problems with the system.

John

John, i booked my room this morning. Had a little bit of a problem at first but mentioned Emily and she got everything took care of. I also sent you my match application and money. See you in May.

• 2 weeks later...

John

John, i booked my room this morning. Had a little bit of a problem at first but mentioned Emily and she got everything took care of. I also sent you my match application and money. See you in May.

Emily has her st together, that's who I ended up talking to.

Got to thinking tonight (always dangerous for me), and went back through last year's thread for shooters. Noticed that gmshooter and chemphard were both supposed to shoot the wheel, but came up with excuses at the last minute not to.

Gmshooter, your wife had the baby last year (That was pretty lame. Your part was done months earlier. You were just a cheer-leader after that.) and there has been a whole year for you to get ammo loaded, gun sighted in and practice (unspostmanlike conduct if I ever heard of it.)

Chempard, I know that you had a hitch-hiker named skip chambers come back with your wheel after it was worked on, but by now you have hopefully kicked his azz out.

All that being said, I fully expect to see the two of you there with moon clips/speed-loaders and a six-shooter wrapped around your waist.

Otherwise, be known as a scurvy bottem-feeder forever :roflol:

Hope to see you next month!

PAT

Got to thinking tonight (always dangerous for me), and went back through last year's thread for shooters. Noticed that gmshooter and chemphard were both supposed to shoot the wheel, but came up with excuses at the last minute not to.

Gmshooter, your wife had the baby last year (That was pretty lame. Your part was done months earlier. You were just a cheer-leader after that.) and there has been a whole year for you to get ammo loaded, gun sighted in and practice (unspostmanlike conduct if I ever heard of it.)

Chempard, I know that you had a hitch-hiker named skip chambers come back with your wheel after it was worked on, but by now you have hopefully kicked his azz out.

All that being said, I fully expect to see the two of you there with moon clips/speed-loaders and a six-shooter wrapped around your waist.

PAT

Bwana,

Yes sirree, I had problems with the 625 this time last year and had to replace 1 firing pin as well since then. However, the gun has been Carmonized, so I have no excuse if there are problems. I may not shoot it very well, but his action jobs sure are nice.

FYI - I have officially signed up for a butt-whipping in revolver and have no intent to cancel it :) . I hope to see you up there that Friday.

Gregg

PAT

Bwana,

Yes sirree, I had problems with the 625 this time last year and had to replace 1 firing pin as well since then. However, the gun has been Carmonized, so I have no excuse if there are problems. I may not shoot it very well, but his action jobs sure are nice.

FYI - I have officially signed up for a butt-whipping in revolver and have no intent to cancel it :) . I hope to see you up there that Friday.

Gregg

Looking forward to seeing you at the match Gregg. Don't know so much about the butt-whipping :D

Just got through ckecking the latest classifications. What do my eyes behold, but there is Gregg Wheat in the Top 20 in B Class with a 71.7097%. You sand-bagger you!

PAT

Edited by Bwana Six-Gun

Just completed the registration forms for myself and Bobby and also booked our hotel room online just a few minutes ago. I talked with several folks at Area 6 this past weekend who couldn't say enough great things about the Mississippi Classic. After that, there wasn't much arm-twisting involved to convince me to go! Can't wait!!! :)