Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock II

NOSAJ19

Took the plunge & purchased a Stock II in 38 Super. Being in Australia, the importer tells me Australian Stock II is HC Limited Custom frame & slide with Stock II companants/safety, trigger, internals etc.

Must say I was drawn to the shorter Stock II frame & am slightly dissapointed.

Cheers, Ando.

Ando

Are you sure it's the same frame? Often words are mis-used and easily mis-referenced. The Stock II, by design IS 10mm shorter dustcover/frame. The Stock II uses the "Stock" slide which is ALWAYS 10mm (0.400") shorter slide than for instance the Limited model. On the Stock II, they cut the Limited dustcover by 10mm / .400" to match this slide and created a production legal gun. It doesn't have a magwell, it doesn't have any frame holes for a scope mount. And it's DA.

My guess is that the importer says it's the same frame, which you may say it technically is, but the dust-cover is shorter. Let me know. I'll see the factory on Thursday so any confusion can be cleared up in a quick conversion with the factory owner.

Henning,

yeah I thought this might interest you. In Australia, we have a minimum barrel length of 120mm. The Stock II has a 113mm barrel, Limited Custom has a barrel of 121mm according to Tanfoglio Website.

Unfortunately, I don't have a photo yet & the delivery is @ 3-4 weeks with our purchase process here. I too was weary of the information I initally recieved, so a quick reference with another shooter has confirmed this.

Would be interested to see what the factory says? I'd be very happy if it were the shorter frame.

Did a little quick research & the IPSC Production Division, approved PD gun lists- Tanfoglio Stock II Limited. This may be the gun we are talking about?

Cheers, Ando.

http://www.ipsc.org.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4339

Edited by NOSAJ19

I have both the Limited Custom .40 and Stock 2 9mm DA/SA.....they are very similiar,.but the length is not the same...the LC is longer in frame, slide, and barrel. You can use the LC holster from Bladetech,..and use the stock2 in the same,..but I doubt you could do the opposite.

However, Ghost and open style holsters like Speedsec and Guga Ribas can be used for both with little if any adjustment. If you use a CR,..you would probably have to adjust the lower platform as the barrel and slide is longer on the LC.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

• 2 weeks later...

OK, my Stock II showed up today. This is what we have here in Australia.

Limited 38 Custom Stock II

Limited Custom frame & slide with "Limited" engraved on the slide. No holes (scope mounts) in the frame.

Super sights.

Black slide stop.

Black ambi safety.

Black hammer.

Black mag release (non extended).

Black DA trigger.

Timber grips.

Full length metal guide-rod.

Black mags with black plastic basepads.

Photo's to follow.

Edited by NOSAJ19

If you're getting the Limited length in a Stock II setup you are in my opinion getting a better shooter. Minor doesn't kick like a major of course, but I'd take the longer, heavier gun either way. Should be a kick ass setup.

Since Stock II in large frame will be coming to the US shortly I will be making a grip for these guns too. These grips will be suited for Large Frame versions of Stock II, Limited Pro, Hunter (6") and Gold Match (6") models. I'll probably do a camo color pattern for the Hunter...

Also making short grips for the competition frame in small frame w/ magwell for Europeans who get the small frame Gold Teams, Limiteds and Limited Customs.

"Also making short grips for the competition frame in small frame w/ magwell for Europeans who get the small frame Gold Teams, Limiteds and Limited Customs."

Or for those of us that have an old school Competition Frame....

I assume that the Stock II that is going to be imported to the US will be the same as the rest of the world gets, which means "SuperSight" (adj target sight).

For some reason, the Stock I that we've been getting for years started out with supersights and then got switched to the novak style sight. Also heard something about this might change back, but have to wait and see.

I sincerely hope they'll supply it with the supersight which means we can use the new rear sight I am working on for the Limited. What I'm going to do as soon as I get my large frame Stock II's; replace the front with iFiber and the rear with the upcoming supersight replacement. Hmmm means I got to come up with a cool name for the rear sight... any suggestions?

I assume that the Stock II that is going to be imported to the US will be the same as the rest of the world gets, which means "SuperSight" (adj target sight).

For some reason, the Stock I that we've been getting for years started out with supersights and then got switched to the novak style sight. Also heard something about this might change back, but have to wait and see.

I sincerely hope they'll supply it with the supersight which means we can use the new rear sight I am working on for the Limited. What I'm going to do as soon as I get my large frame Stock II's; replace the front with iFiber and the rear with the upcoming supersight replacement. Hmmm means I got to come up with a cool name for the rear sight... any suggestions?

Why not call it the "Henning Sight" since you developed it? Don't be modest.

• 8 months later...

Have found this discussion really interesting as I am looking at getting either the Limited Pro or Stock 11 and am from New Zealand.

I already have the Limited HC Custom in .40 and thought that I wouldn't mind shooting in Production but with a similiar pistol.

If we get the same as you did in Aussie I would be over the moon as the it would be the same dimensions as the Limited so less to get used to.

I also see that Henning is thinking of the same but in .40 which has also been suggested by a mate here who also shoots with Limited and is an interesting thought as of course I'm already set up to load .40 s&w but will probably still go for the 9mm for less kick, muzzle flip, etc.

Anyone got any opinions on the difference between the Limited Proand the Stock 11 and oh Henning any discount for two sets of ali grips?

The Limited Pro is basically a Limited with a DA/SA trigger, a non bull barrel, and a shortened dust cover. Kind of a bastard child born from the parents of a Limited and a Match Elite. The Stock II is a completey different size pistol based on the small frame guns. I have not shot a Stock II but handled one and its physically smaller than the large frame guns like the Limited. If you get the Stock II you would have to get dedicated magazines for it that won't be interchangable with your Limited. If you get the Limited Pro you can use the same mags between it and your Limited.

I say if you want to shoot production don't do it half ass. Get a match proven production gun that is well used in the IPSC/USPSA world. Such as a CZ. There are a ton of people shooting the CZ's in Production and there is a lot of support for it as well. If you piece together a one off EAA/Tanfo Production gun based on a Limited gun then you will be on your own when it comes to figuring out issues and things like that.

I have both Limited Custom & Stock II Limited, both in 38 super. These guns are identical in size & are large frames. If I had to get just 1 gun, knowing what I know now. Stock II Limited, PD legal & can be converted into Limited gun easily. If you purchased Limited Custom (which has scope mounting holes in frame), it can never legally be converted into PD gun for use in matches.

hi henning,

i am new in this forum, i had to shoot a stock II, the same with nosaj19 picture has...we are competing here in the philippines using stock II vs our competator, the cz 75, spo1 shadow...i had a good accuracy with my gun...my concern now is how to keep the barrel of my gun always clean, what can i use to clean and keep the accuracy of my stock II barrel, is it true that if im going to clean the barrel of my gun with a brass brush, i am ruining the accuracy of it?your input in this matter is a big treasure for us and make our moral high while competing using stock II tanfoglio..thanks henning...