Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The best piece of equipment

JasonC

<_< OK guys . Jason C put this under Mental He really is not bringing up Cleats that much.

Any Yes JC I am the Over Thinker on things I like to train and prepare so that I can put problems out of my head.

Like week-hand shooting, I don't even like to call it that - I would rather call it Left hand shooting. <_< my left hand is not Week. or if it starts to get wet and muddy , no problemO

I like to replace every challenge with "I can Do that" :unsure: It works ...most of the time. At least I don't stress any thing before a stage. It all comes after.

<_< OK guys . Jason C put this under Mental He really is not bringing up Cleats that much.

Any Yes JC I am the Over Thinker on things I like to train and prepare so that I can put problems out of my head.

Like week-hand shooting, I don't even like to call it that - I would rather call it Left hand shooting. <_< my left hand is not Week. or if it starts to get wet and muddy , no problemO

I like to replace every challenge with "I can Do that" :unsure: It works ...most of the time. At least I don't stress any thing before a stage. It all comes after.

Understandably so, I recall mentioning that it is "helpful to know you have secure footing" and mentioned reasons why they have put one more aspect of confidence into the ball of wax. ;)

Don't they make a cleat with ankle support? Seems that would be the ticket if ankle support is your need and grip is a must.

I'm not positive, but I believe they do make high top cleats. I haven't purchased cleats yet, but was thinking the same. Shooters would certainly benefit from the support they provide while quickly moving laterally.

I think you are referring to Chris shooting at Taran's range. I do not think it was during a match.

I see GMs using cleats all the time. I got a pair of Land Sharks on sale and probably did not get them the right size. They were uncomfortable. I got some smoking deals on 5.11 boots from LA Police Gear. These have worked out well, except I notice my foot speed is better in a running shoe. I also have a pair of Converse 6in boots which are very confortable.

I am thinking about going to a soccer store and looking at those shoes. A shoe with a little less cleat and would be more comfortable to wear.

My two favorite pieces of equipment aren't really equipment...

Our host's book has been invaluable in my attempts (starting to show improvment now, learning I can push myself more physically than before (thank you mountain bike!)) to become better during my limited amount of practice time, and I also like Lanny Bassham's book, With Winning In Mind.

Both made little sense the first time through, and make more and more sense upon each subsequent reading. It gives one a good benchmark when one thinks back to going "What the heck do you mean make a plan and shoot the plan???" "See the sights lift? I can't even see the sights!"

The best thing I have bought are football cleats. I can accelerate, decelerate and turn without slipping.

However, the reason they have been the best purchase is not because of the great traction, it's because I no longer think about slipping.

Jason,

I agree. After I bought my cleats it allowed me to use the most important piece of equipment a little more effectively. If you don't use the equipment between your ears effectively, then everything else is fluff.

Now, if my brain would just stop turning off when the timer goes off :wacko:

Dave

They make high-top cleats, mostly softball/baseball cleats.

I prefer a mild cleat like Mizuno nine-spikes or aggressive soled hiking boots like Blackhawk Warrior 5" boots or Lowa Renegades. They work on all surfaces and will let go if you plant and turn unlike an aggressive spike like Nike Landsharks. Ripped my left miniscus a couple of times.

Tennis shoes or sandals? Just crazy talk.

• 2 months later...

The best thing I've done recently is to put a dimple in the slide stop to prevent the slide from prematurely locking back. Prior to that it was such a distraction because it would really screw up my plan and mess with my head. Now I feel a lot more confident that I can make a plan and actually execute it. Running malfunction drills on every stage is really frustrating.

Don't they make a cleat with ankle support? Seems that would be the ticket if ankle support is your need and grip is a must.

I'm not positive, but I believe they do make high top cleats. I haven't purchased cleats yet, but was thinking the same. Shooters would certainly benefit from the support they provide while quickly moving laterally.

Adidas makes High top and mid-top corner blitz cleats. Linemen wear high-top football cleats while they're traunching around crashing into each other over and over again. I wear the mid-tops because academy was out of low tops when I went to get them. They provide some ankle support. I'm sure the high-tops would do more.

Jason,

I'm with you. My first serious slip didn't DQ me but it made me have to think about my footing more, and I didn't like that. Whether you like football cleats, or just high traction hiking shoes of some kind, getting footwear that will let you shoot without having to think about your footing is a huge advantage.

Rob

the best I have found are the Tanel turfs. They make them in a high-top and after you break them in a little bit they are the most comfortable shoes I own. Because of the design of the sole the cleats do not dig in nearly as much as a nike shark (football cleat) or something similar to that. I wear these year round for softball and will wear them for USPSA now. http://www.tanel360.net/catalog/product_in...products_id=334 if you click on the TECHNOLOGY information thingy below the picture you can see what the sole looks like. They are the bee's knees

Isaac

Well,

I will have to say that so far the best piece of equipment that I have purchased is my Kydex DOH holster from BladeTech. I know that doesn't seem so interesting, but it is definitely a real good thing.

I like that I can adjust the tension accordingly, and I do not worry about where my pistola is when it is not in my paws.

I know thee are those of you that probably hold true to the leather, I do not. I will never run out of leather again if I can help it. (Unless we are talking about IWB or CC typr rigs)

I like that after a year of use, it looks great and works like a champ.

The mag holders of the same brand are cool too. (Though my new ones are a different brand)

my .02

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
However, the reason they have been the best purchase is not because of the great traction, it's because I no longer think about slipping.

I really hate that feeling, "oh, this looks slippery, better watch out..." Then I end up walking like a granny on ice.

I moved my shoe findings here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...0&start=100

Edited by askomiko

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a pair of landsharks as well.

Fairly new to IPSC, but not new to cleats...played college baseball. I noticed a lot of people talking about high-tops for ankle support, and they do provide that, but I think you give up some mobility. Depending on how much time you are able to spend in them, your ankles, and your equilibrium get used to the extra traction.

I remember when I was started playing in high school and everyone got steel cleats for the first time. We all thought we were bad-asses till just about all of us faceplanted at least once on the first day. :) Because we weren't at all ready for the upgrade in grip. Nowadays the plastics have come so far that they are just about as grippy.

In this sport you don't get to spend a lot of time running around to break yourself into them, so it might be worth a bit of training if your ankles give you trouble. Plus the cardio is great as well. And you feel like a bit of a superhero once you start using your cleats at 100%.

The best piece of equipment, for me is a good plan for the stage. A good plan involves all the tools on your belt both figurativly and literally. Use your strengths the best you can and use them to work around your weaknesses. The tools on your belt should each be there for a reason and don't lug around anything you don't need to finish the task at hand. Both in your range bag and belt as well as your plan, if it gets in your way leave it at home.

Joe W.

• 3 weeks later...