Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Docx patch for Microsoft Office

Micah

LINKY

I HATE the new MS Office. I have been using 2002 since, well...2002 and can never find what I am looking for in the new version. Ol Gates pulled a fast one when he had the newest incarnation of Word saving documents as a docx file...a format that is unreadable in 2002.

After dealing with this issue when obtaining documents from professors and students alike, I did a little searching and found that Microsoft offers a free patch that allows us 2002 users to view and manipulate docx files. If you have this same issue, I thought this info would come in handy.

Ol Gates pulled a fast one when he had the newest incarnation of Word saving documents as a docx file...a format that is unreadable in 2002.

Typical Microsoft - change the format of the documents to force users to upgrade. It's also the MS way to force their own XMS format onto the world as the default format.

I got Office 2007 with my new laptop as I had a business requirement to exchange Excel files with clients that had 2007. In some ways, it' is better - the ribbon interface is certainly neater. But for the first time I can recall, they seem to have removed features found in prior version. The help files also piss me off since they automatically connect to the internet and the way the information is organized is completely different than older versions.

I just get tired of having to relearn how to use MS products every time some 22 year old programmer decides to make something "better". :angry:

I can understand your pains. I was anti microsoft for too many years until I was forced to submit. I am now a fan and although I do not like having to re-learn software, there are some huge benefits to where the market is going. It is a painful period now but ASP is where it is at. With the new XML version of office, there will be many benefits plus, it might even help our sport.

For a simple example, instead of the palm scoring system, (not a fan of) an ASP application that can be accessed by any smartphone could be a real benefit for our sport and clubs. The possibilities with that are endless..................

LINKY

I HATE the new MS Office. I have been using 2002 since, well...2002 and can never find what I am looking for in the new version. Ol Gates pulled a fast one when he had the newest incarnation of Word saving documents as a docx file...a format that is unreadable in 2002.

After dealing with this issue when obtaining documents from professors and students alike, I did a little searching and found that Microsoft offers a free patch that allows us 2002 users to view and manipulate docx files. If you have this same issue, I thought this info would come in handy.

This will help teach you. Link

Learning curve was not that steep, and now I like the ribbon - or, at least, i can find my way around!

PB - I had to get used to Office 2007 too. One thing that may help - when you save a file you get the option to save as a 2007 file, or as a 2003-and-earlier file. I had to use this alot when I did a lot of my Army work on my laptop...DoD is still using Office 2003, and I have 2007 on my laptop.

I'm still looking for stuff in the toolbar on 2007, though.

PB - I had to get used to Office 2007 too. One thing that may help - when you save a file you get the option to save as a 2007 file, or as a 2003-and-earlier file. I had to use this alot when I did a lot of my Army work on my laptop...DoD is still using Office 2003, and I have 2007 on my laptop.

I'm still looking for stuff in the toolbar on 2007, though.

That is what I would do when using a computer in one of my college's labs, but the big issue was receiving documents via email while at home where my computers did not run 2007. I asked profs/students until I was blue in the face to save their documents as .doc before sending them to me...but they seldom complied.

There is an option in the prefs for Excel, Word & PPT to make the old formats the default save formats so you don't have to remember to select 97-2004 compatible every single time. Of course they make the the new file format the outa-da-box default one ;)