Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI .40 Single Stack Problem

Theo Carter

you need to send your gun to Virgil Tripp to reweld you feedwall.

Once he does this it will feed everything, Gold dots, round nose ammo, berry's flat points, anything from Montana Gold, Lead SWC ammo etc

the bad ramp angle is well documented on this forum.

Polishing the ramp, using a higher mag catch, special ammo isnt the long term answer IMHO

Once Virgil rewelded my feedwall, it became a feedramp and I very very very very very rarely ever have any feedway related problems

I took Beretta Lover's advice a few weeks ago and could not be happier. It went from a nose diving paper weight to the smoothest action gun I have ever owned. It is a testimate to Mr Tripp and his ability to make smaller caliber 1911's function. I had considered just giving it away before I sent it to him and now it is a gun I am proud to own.

Good to hear its running as it should, smooth huh...we should have asked for it before you gave it to Mr. Tripp to do his magic, that would have been "smooth" hahaha! Congrats!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot it in a 45 round X-Mas charity match (of course I shot more than 45 rds). Not one problem at all. I know there was another thread about STI 40 Trojans, but this is a followup to this thread. My gun ran like a champ!! Not one hicup! More modifications will be done. Something to be said about STI's warranty! The saga will continue.

Yep, read the posts old and new on issues with .40 Trojans on feeding, OAL, mags and the like. A couple of questions,

Did STI do a redesign on ramping area/s?

Were non-horse head marked slides an indicator of a newer, redesigned feed ramp gun?

Seems the fixes are running Wilson 47D .45 mags with OAL 1.200 or longer for reliable feeding. . .just like the ol' 1911 in .45. . . or at least to get toward that OAL . . .

I'm about ready to jump on the .40 SS bandwagon and use my .40 LTD load at approx 1.210 w MG 180 JHP, which never fails in my bushing BBl older Eagle or my newer bull bbl Edge . . .

I'm used to no malfunctions with my old, beater Kimber 1911.

My philosophy is never having to think that the gun may malfunction, and I don't want to start.

Not that I can't fix things, just that I want to know what I may be getting into so that I know what I might have to fix. :unsure:

Your comments or PM's are appreciated. . .

The new barrel in my Caspian does this. The old barrel did not. I am going to send it back to my smith this week to have him look at it...so I guess I should ask him to weld up and cut the barrel ramp closer to the mags. The old barrel had a much longer ramp that basically swallowed the rounds as soon as they came out of the mag.