Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft for beginner training?

makomachine

Thanks for all the tips. I don't have a close range, and winters are rough here, so I just purchased an airsoft gun with blowback similar to my real gun to augment my other training so I can hopefully be somewhat competitive next spring.

David S.

+1 for the Airsoft training. After a long layoff any skills I had diminished greatly and I'm also in a situation where I can't find a decent place to practice close to where I live, I think everyone has their own secret spots and they aren't sharing LOL. In the past I've dry fired a ton and as everyone can attest that is hugely important and I don't think airsoft should take it's place. I find dry fire also to be hugely BORING after years of doing it and sometimes I find myself just going through the motions. Airsoft adds something new and very fun to the mix and I personally believe it's been a huge benefit to me after just a few weeks. Also, if you do find that you were just going through the motions with your dryfire and not giving it your full focus that will manifest in your airsoft shooting, you'll see it in your targets.

Airsoft is a whole new hobby though and it's not cheap if you get a decent gun(s) and get some good targets. I got Drazy Metalworks plates and poppers and made very simple but effective stands and just today ordered a BAM Texas Star from Airsoft Extreme and can't wait to get it. My biggest frustration was trying to get glock airsoft guns due to the lawsuit glock has threatened people with. I bought the very last KSC g17 from airsplat a few weeks ago and also in my panic to get a g34 clone I bought a cheaper KWA G34 from Cobra Airsoft, a Tokyo Marui G17 from eHobby Asia and a couple crappy springer models just to see if they had any value (they don't). The KSC g17 is a 1:1 copy and fits my regular holsters but the TM g17 does not. I ordered a fancy g34 metal slide for that because I was under the impression it would make it fit my holsters but it doesn't, wasted money. Thus far the KSC has been the most useful so I bought a bunch more mags for it. I've read that KSC is retooling their glock clones as to not infringe on glock trademarks and will be available again soon but that was just from some random airsoft forum, no idea if it's true.

After adding airsoft training to my regimen for a couple weeks my first USPSA match stage I shot was all steel and I felt confident going in and performed way better on it than I would have if I hadn't been airsofting in my garage, I'm 100% convinced of that. It was only the third time I had fired my g34 since starting up again but my sight picture, transitions and movement were pretty sharp. The gentleman from BAM airsoft that posts here (Sfmpd?) posts great videos on you tube on training techniques (thanks man! good marketing too :) and I'm a believer. If you can, get your airsoft on, you will not regret it. Don't stop dry firing either. I'm also re-reading my 15 year old copy of Brian's book again and loving it so if you're a newbie welcome to the sport and get Brian's book.

• 4 months later...

THe only problems I have had with airsoft is the magazine seals failing after a few hundred rounds. I have the TM STI edge and when you first go to the range to live fire you think your pistol blew up on the first shot.

THe only problems I have had with airsoft is the magazine seals failing after a few hundred rounds. I have the TM STI edge and when you first go to the range to live fire you think your pistol blew up on the first shot.

Are you sure you have a tokyo marui and not a wei-tec (WE) style 2011? I have never had TM mag problems but have sure had a few problems with We's. Just to be clear for other new shooters.