Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to scope an M1A SOCOM with a "normal" scope?

David Sinko

I was lucky enough to find and buy a new Springfield M1A SOCOM 16 just a few days ago. It has a short forward rail for mounting a Scout type scope. What is the best way to put a "normal" scope on this rifle? Is there some kind of mount that can attach to the forward rail and bring the scope back farther for proper eye relief? Would putting a scope so low over the action cause ejection problems? I hear there is also a side mount option but I have not seen any of these. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would like to use this for Heavy Metal.

Dave Sinko

Springfield Armory makes a mount that mounts to the side of the receiver. I bought one with my rifle. This was several years ago, but at the time it was their 3rd generation mount. I've always been very happy with it, places a weaver rail directly over the action. No problems with ejection that I've ever encountered. It attaches with two large thumbscrews, I did have to retighten them frequently for the first 100 rounds or so. No problems since then. I'm sure their are others out there, you might try Fulton Armory as well.

Kevin

I have not found a mount that will stay in place on the receiver....they all move and won't hold POA. Find something that will mount on the barrel mount that you can use.....maybe use a Larue for a AR backwards so it extends back. Good luck and let us know what works. I shoot my M1A1 with iron sights because the receiver scope mounts are junk.

The Gen3 mount requires that you remove the stripper clip guide and replace it with a solid piece tapped for the second screw. Did that and frankly it worked well. For the loosening, I'dd suggest maybe light to medium loc-tite.

As for the SOCOM, I looked at putting my Aimpoint on my SOCAM, with my AR, I had a California mount that allowed for co-witnessing, on the SOCOM, it is dot only as the body of all the electronics I have blocks the iron sight line of sight.

Jim

the basic answer to your question is, "You dont". Thats why the gun isnt more popular than it is. There just isnt a good way to reliably mount optics. It seams like the receiver could be machined in some way like the Mini 14 ranch rifle.

Sadlak and Smith Enterprise both make good mounts. I originally bought a Springfield mount and was nto satisfied with it. Clunky, large mounting knobs, and it is off-center to the right. Thought there was a problem with my particular gun/mount and called Springfield. They told me that was the way it was supposed to be. <_<

anyone wants it, make me an offer.

BTW, these guys have some good info on the subject. http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/

Come to think about it, there is a notorious pic floating around with a sniper/marksman using a scoped M14 with the smiley on the lens cover. If you observe he has both rings between the occular bell and adjustment turrets. It's not the accepted method of mounting, but no one could actually prove that it wouldn't work...

Edited by ken hebert

When I had an M1A, I too had the Springfield Armory 3rd generation mount. Like was previously mentioned, the stripper clip guide was tapped out, I think, and then another steel block was brass punched in its place.

I think.

That steel block was drilled and tapped to accept the smaller of the two screws from the Springer scope mount.

The larger screw on the scope mount was kinda... weird... . It was big, circular with knurling and a big slot milled across it like a big ol' flat head wood screw.

It really needed to have some flats machined into it.

In fact, I got some book called "Sniping in Vietnam" where they show a pic of a similar mount where the big thumbscrew had been milled for flats and the snipers were using crescent wrenches to tighten the mount.

IIRC, from another forum it's either the Smith enterprises or the Fulton Armory mount that is supposedly way better than anything Springfield Armory puts out.

I really don't remember my scope being offcentered, but when the shop guy mounted the scope he did use Millet rings which were windage adjustable, so maybe that's why. :unsure:

After looking at those Millet rings, I would NOT necessarily recommend them for any other application. I think it would be all too easy to bend the scope tube (if you didn't use them thar fancy schmancy alignment rods).

I'm trying to sort through the rules. I thought Heavy Metal allows one optic. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. And I had planned on using a Glock 21, but it seems that might not be allowed either.

I am looking into the LaRue mount installed backwards. Has anybody actually tried this?

I do remember the smiley face pic but never noticed the hardware the shooter was using. That's an interesting solution too.

Dave Sinko

oh yeah, I forgot to add that I thought He Man or Heavy Metal was supposed to be an iron sighted .308 rifle or larger.

:unsure:

I'm trying to sort through the rules. I thought Heavy Metal allows one optic. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong. And I had planned on using a Glock 21, but it seems that might not be allowed either.

I am looking into the LaRue mount installed backwards. Has anybody actually tried this?

I do remember the smiley face pic but never noticed the hardware the shooter was using. That's an interesting solution too.

Dave Sinko

You need to check out the rules SPECIFIC to the match you are thinking about attending. Some HM rules have a seperate "class" that is scoped, some do not. One major match that I know of ONLY allows single stack frame (1911) pistols in HM (but most do alow Glocks and such), etc, etc.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

I was just advised by LaRue that their SPR-E mount installed backwards would work fine BUT it is not compatible with the OEM rail, which would have to be replaced with a 1913 Picatinny rail. What would this entail? Has this suddenly become a gunsmith only proposition? It seems to be getting a bit more complicated.

Dave Sinko

The Springfield mount works okay if you don't take it off of the rifle. If you do remove it it'll shifts all over the place and never stay tight again. A better mount is the Smith Enterprise but it's almost double the cost.

I was just advised by LaRue that their SPR-E mount installed backwards would work fine BUT it is not compatible with the OEM rail, which would have to be replaced with a 1913 Picatinny rail. What would this entail? Has this suddenly become a gunsmith only proposition? It seems to be getting a bit more complicated.

Dave Sinko

Yes, that's right, the SOCOM's forward rail is not picatinny spec.

Here's an option that goes in place of the handguard:

Ultimak rail

M8inst.jpg

Or http://www.amegaranges.com/miniM14.php

Go here for more info about the M14 than you could imagine. There is a scope mount FAQ that you can download. You can't go wrong with a Smith Enterprise or ARMS:

http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/

Or you can swap stocks for a SAGE or Troy pistol grip/collapsible stock!

• 2 years later...

Dave Sinko

Ultimak rail

M8inst.jpg

Go here for more info about the M14 than you could imagine. There is a scope mount FAQ that you can download. You can't go wrong with a Smith Enterprise or ARMS:

actually the socom 16's rail IS weaver/picatinny spec

Dave Sinko

Ultimak rail

M8inst.jpg

actually the socom 16's rail IS weaver/picatinny spec

Yes, but the spacing does allow the LaRue mount to work. If the cuts were in the center of the mount, it would be a different story. I just have an Aimpoint M2 on the scout rail of my SOCOM.

I just went through the pains of tryIng to mount a scope to my standard M1A. Used a Smith Enterprises mount. I fought it for two weeks and finally decided to pull it and just shoot the rifle with iron sights. I just could not get to group well. 2" group @ 100 yds with iron sights, 4" with the scope. It was proven glass to, a Leupold I pulled off another rifle.

Edited by prreed10