Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9/38 SV 140's Capacities

Intel6

I recently got (from Chris at CPWSA) some 11 coil Bolen springs and followers and 3mm pads for some of the new Rescomp 40 mag tubes that I got from the SSI vendor table at Area 2.

I got the Bolen stuff for the limited mags but figured I would try them out in my 140 9/38 SV tubes for my open gun. These mags had the factory spring and follower and what I am guessing is the Grams 7mm base pad. Since I had various mag pads and Grams 11 coil springs and followers I figured I would change them around and see what capacities I could get.

These are un-tuned SV tubes and I was loading them with some loaded 9mm Major ammo.

I loaded them all with just my thumbs; I did not use a mag loader initially. Later on I used a mag loader (because I found it) on the two most promising set ups with the Grams pads to see if I could get another round in. Before I did that I was only able to get in the reloadable count.

Since I wrote all this down as I was doing it I figured I would post it here for posterity.

Grams 11 coil spring and follower

Grams 11mm pad – 22 reloadable/23 tight (loaded with mag loader)

Dawson +1 – 20 reloadable / 21 tight

Dawson +1+ - 21 reloadable

Dawson +2 – 21 reloadable / 22 tight

Bolen 11 coil spring and follower

Grams 11mm pad – 23 reloadable/24 tight (loaded with mag loader)

Dawson +1 – 21 reloadable

Dawson +1+ - 21 reloadable / 22 tight

Dawson +2 – 23 reloadable

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

Interesting, thanks for the info as I have some new bolen springs and followers on order at SC.

I bought my SVI mags for my 9mm Major open gun from a local shooter so I don't know if they are tuned for sure. With the stock SVI mag pads, and unknown springs and Arrendondo followers I can get 22 rounds in my 140mm SVI tubes with little effort. I'm hoping I can get 23-24 with the Bolen spring and follower.

With my 170mm SVI mag, with DP +1's, Grams followers, unknown spring I can get 29 rounds with little effort, simply handloading/thumbing. I'm hoping to get 30 in there with the Bolen spring and follower.

We'll see...

Bolens springs and followers work very well in untuned SV tubes. Bolens stuff is very hit or miss in SPS and STI unless they are tuned to run the followers.

I've got two SV 9mm tubes that hold 24 reloadable with Bolens 4mm pads and guts and one that holds 25 semi tight and almost reloadable. A friend has two SV tubes that both hold 30 rounds of 9 Major with Dawson SNL pads but the follower has occasionally rolled when run 30+1. As long as it is run as 29+1 it has never had an issue.

The Bolens springs are definitely the shizzle. If I have issues with the Bolens follower....I use the Grams follower on the Bolens spring. You just have to trim the small shoulder off the bottom of the Grams follower for the Bolens spring to work.

I've switched all my 9 major open mags to Bolens components and couldn't be happier. I can run 30+1 if need be in my 170 SV tubes. The fit is very tight, so generally I run 29 to prevent too much stress on the grip. With my 140 tubes and Bolens 7mm pads I can run 24 reloadable easy. I've been running the same springs for a while now with no issues and no follower rollover.