Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting a new Grip on an SV

Intel6

I was changing out a grip last night on a SV factory open gun and I had some problems. The grip is a brand new gray grip and other than some slight grinding in the magwell that I did, it is new.

I found that when I slid it up into position on the frame I was having problems getting the holes in the metal inerts lined up with the holes in the frame because the grip is stopping slightly short of being seated fully and preventing installation of the grip screw bushings. When I lightly tapped the bottom of the grip to seat the grip to the frame the top "ears" of the grips on either side flared out away from the frame.

I looked at the grip that came off the frame and the original black SV grip (both go on fine) and I can't see any glaring differences that would cause the new frame to not go on?

I figure there is a part of the grip I need to relieve to make it seat fully without flaring but I can't figure it out where it is.

Don't want to go grinding on this grip so I figure I would ask.

Thanks for any and all assistance.

Neal in AZ

You must have a gray STI grip.

I had the same problems when trying to install a stippled STI grip onto my SVI frame.

You'll have to file the areas that cause the grip to not seat properly.

Do the grip and not the frame. If you try to reinstall a SVI grip in the future, the SVI grip may end up being loose.

Bingo, you are right, it is a gray grip.

With your grip, what areas did you have to file down?

I figured there is some spot that needs to be relieved but I can't figure out where that is.

Thanks,

Neal in AZ

iirc, the steel inserts of the grip that mates to the frame is what needs attention. I broke the edges of the corners first then the front and rear of the steel inserts. It doesn't take too much so go SLOW. YMMV

Thanks for the response.

I am not sure if it is the steel inserts or not. Something is making it flare out just as the grip is seated. Unless the steel inserts are tapered and I need to relieve them just above where the trigger bar rides I am wondering if that is it?

I already broke the edges of the inserts and it is still doing it?

I was thinking it is some extra plastic somewhere that needs to be cut out.

Neal in AZ

Spent some more time with it last night and figured it out. It came down to the metal inserts in the grip.

I looked at the slots that were cut into the SV frame and they had rounded corners at the top of the cut. The inserts in the grip were square so the corners were incompatable. That is why it was happening just as the grip was seated to the frame. Those square corners were not fitting in the round cornered cut outs and popping out and pushing the grip aways from the frame.

I rounded off the corners of the metal insert in the grip and the grips then seated correctly.

Neal in AZ