Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winston Re

XRe

We had to put down my 12yo dachshund Winston today. Winston was my first dog - the first dog that I went and picked out and had on my own, and he's been with my wife and I almost since we were married. He's been through a lot of stuff with us, and has been a very good companion and friend.

We've know that he's had a condition for some time that could potentially be a brain tumor - two years ago, he went blind for a while, but treatment with prednisone was successful (but likely had just reduced some swelling). A while back, he went on the pred daily, and needed it to avoid further issues with his eyes. What happened this week was sudden, but not entirely unexpected. On Friday, he had a couple of seizures - after the first, and a trip to the vet for bloodwork, etc, he seemed very normal, and did his usual trip around the yard and all that. Later that night, we came home from dinner and found him seizing again - this one lasted over an hour, and took heavy drugs to stop. He never fully regained consciouness after that. He had several more seizures, and spent last night and through today at the hospital. It became clear that the seizures were breaking through doses of phenobarbital that should have controlled them in a dog that had some sort of epilepsy or something like that. Combined with evidence from the past few weeks of behavioral changes and such, it was very clear that his condition was, in fact, some sort of brain tumor, and had finally progressed to a point where it was unmanageable. Anything else we did was just going to cause him to suffer, and not provide any meaningful quality of life.

Those of you who have been through this know what I'm probably feeling right now. I'm numb and raw, and miss him, and feel a little robbed... but I'm at peace with our decision, and don't regret anything that we did in managing his care.

Here's a couple pictures of my little buddy, as I'd like to remember him....

http://bethanddave.smugmug.com/gallery/161...#78510161_QFh2r

http://bethanddave.smugmug.com/gallery/161...#78510461_SviB8

http://bethanddave.smugmug.com/gallery/161...#78509180_XhvJk

http://bethanddave.smugmug.com/gallery/161...#78509282_6NTap

Edited by XRe

Wow...so very, very sorry to hear that Dave. Yeah, we all know it is the right decision but that doesn't make it any easier.

After I had to put my beloved Maggie down this Summer after a long fight with a lung tumor a friend told me "She is waiting at rainbow bridge". In case you haven't heard of this one... http://www.petloss.com/poems/maingrp/rainbowb.htm

Stay strong and when the time is right, a new dog is the best therapy in the world.

Condolences from my gang to yours. :(

I'm so, so sorry to hear this. We had a couple of dachshunds in earlier years and they were incredible little dogs. Not typical of "small" dogs, really. More like 'big' dogs with extremely short legs. Great companions, indeed.

The photos are really touching.

Dave, I am really sorry to hear about your dog. I am a dog guy at heart 10,000% and grew up with Dachshunds, they can really get under your skin and are the only 'small' dog I would consider now.

I lost my almost 11 year old lab to cancer in the spring, she was the best dog me or my wife and kids had ever been acquainted with and she owned all our hearts. THE hardest thing I have ever done in my life was put her down, I have literally risked my own life without anything resembling the decision I had to make for her. She was one of US. I still tear up thinking about her, but it is getting easier, the great things about her are overcoming the loss of her in our memories. There isn't anything to diminish the suck, but the positives of having known your dog will come to mind more and more and help to alleviate the pain of his loss.

I really feel for you and wish there was something I could say that would make it better.

Dave,

That truly sucks....you have some prayers coming your way from Northern NM. Nothing anybody can say or do will make it better, but it's clear he was loved and had a great home which is all a dog really wants/needs to be happy. Heart goes out to you...if I type any more I'll start to well up :(

Hi Dave:

Sorry you lost your dog. I know how it feels to loose a 4 legged friend. We had a doxie that lived for 19 years when I was a kid...he was my first dog. For the last few years he was a bit cantancerous, had few teeth and smelled bad, but we still loved him!

Now we have 2 schnausers who are part of our family. They are middle-aged and I don't look forward to them passing someday.

Hang tight...the sadness fades...but you'll still remember your friend.

Sorry Dave about your dog. A pet's unconditional love is a special thing and the loss of it is painful. After a while, it does stop hurting and then what is left is all the good memories. It just takes time to get there. Similar to your situation, Jack was the first dog I ever owned and I picked him out of a litter at the pound. He made it to 14. You did the right thing to limit Winston's suffering.

post-4300-1230560515_thumb.jpg

My wife and I had the same happen with epileptic seizures and the meds you mentioned to our female Sheltie. It was a painful time when she passed away...broke our hearts. She was a real sweet, gentle little lady. It was hard to watch her go through the seizures, but when she died, I took solace in knowing we did everything we could for her, and she was no longer suffering.

I'm so sorry for your loss.:(

Man that sucks. My condolenses.

We just shouldn't love our pets so much.

I rescued a mixed breed dog from a trip to the pound may of '95. I think he's aound 14. He's still with me......I know his time is getting short. So I just take it one day at a time. He's deaf, so the Greman Shepard goes to get him when I come home. Pretty good for a free roaming country dog.

Dave, I'm very sorry to hear about Winston. However, it sounds like you, your wife and he had a great relationship and many fun times.

I have two dogs that are totally devoted to my wife and I and we to them. I know just how hard this time can be from previous dogs we've had the pleasure to have as companions. Our thoughts are with you.