Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS LR-308 W/24" stainless bull barrel Accuracy

gmel

I've shot 155 lapua's, 155 SMK's, 168 SMK's and 175 SMK's. Mine likes the 155 SMK's the best, load is 45.0 gr. RL-15 CCI benchrest for 2820 fps. Been getting 1/2 moa out to 800yd with it. Like others barrel has been turned down, JP trigger and threaded for brake/suppressor.

My 155 load is with Berger bullets (much higher BC) and leaves the muzzle at 3050 fps. Shooting a 155 at 168 gr speeds wont get you far in long range accuracy. The slightest wind will school you.

That is where the rifle likes it. Brass comes out undamaged and with zero pressure issues. You learn to dope the wind if you shoot long range in Kansas. Sierra's are much cheaper (factory second's) so I get to shoot more. According to published BC tables Berger 155 is .484 and the Sierra 155 SMK is .450 so only around 7% difference. The Sierra 155 palma is .504 bc above 2700 and still cheaper than the Berger.

At your altitude and your load you have 7.1 MOA of wind drift at your stated 800 yards with the 155 Sierra Match King Palma load you posted.

With my load and "my" Berger bullets (they're tweaked a little for a BC of .512) in your AO I have 5.2 MOA of wind drift. That's a difference of my loading being 20" better. That's almost 40% better. I've shot all over the country, at higher and lower altitudes, hotter and colder, with and without wind, with some of the best shooters in the county and they can't read wind well enough to be competitive with such a light load. There is a time when you have to exchange performance for brass longevity. For anyone shooting competitively, I'd recommend getting all they can out of every round fired. At 100 yards, a light load that is easy on brass is a good thing, but when long range precision is required, try to stack the cards in your favor.

(they're tweaked a little for a BC of .512)

Your name wouldn't be Tom Berenger would it?

Seriously using published bc's there is around 11" of wind drift difference with a full value 10mph wind @ 800.

(they're tweaked a little for a BC of .512)

Your name wouldn't be Tom Berenger would it?

Seriously using published bc's there is around 11" of wind drift difference with a full value 10mph wind @ 800.

Nope, not Tom Berenger, but kind of the same concept. It's called a Whidden Bullet Pointer. It actually increases the BC of most hollow point match bullets by about 10%. There is information available about it on line. The inventor is 07 and 08 National Long Range High Power Champion John Whidden. Other than his tool helping to win 2 Nat'l Championships, it has set 3 F-class world records, won 7 State titles, 3 F-class national titles, two Allegheny Sniper Challenges, the list goes on. Imagine making your bullet 10% better in the wind by a simple process that takes less than 2 seconds. My rounds were .5 a mil or almost 2 MOA flatter at 1000 yards using the bullet pointer. Changed nothing else about the load, just pointed the bullet. It works!

So it's Meplatt'ing the bullet (forgive my spelling).

Man I miss being able to go to the Sierra factory and get the factory seconds (a.k.a. bullets by the pound!).

Rich

No, it's not meplatting the bullets, it's pointing them. You can also meplat them after pointing them and many ppl do. I don't bother.