Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DPMS LR-308 W/24" stainless bull barrel Accuracy

gmel

Just one datapoint. My LR308 shoots well under 1MOA with Black Hills 175g BTHP (red box) ammo. And with N2IPSC's hand-crafted pills (when I can steal some off his bench), it puts them into one ragged hole at 200.

.75 moa with 168 grain Noslers......44.7 grains of Varget.

Isn't that kinda a hot load for that gun? I run 45.5g Varget and 168 SMK's in my Rem 5R bolt gun at just over 2710 fps. I went from shooting Fed GMM 168's to my handload, and it is definately more peppy. Sadly, I did not chrono the Fed so as to have a starting point of reference, but I'm not qoing back as the handload suits me great.

Not arguing, asking...

I have the 18in heavy barrel.

I had a hard time loading for it, at 2.80 OAL the gun would just not work at all,,

I worked them down to 2.74 magic!

I shot my first groups today, the first was an inch. my best a half inch. At 100. I'm getting happy.

I still have work to do on the gun but I'm on the right track.

.75 moa with 168 grain Noslers......44.7 grains of Varget.

Isn't that kinda a hot load for that gun? I run 45.5g Varget and 168 SMK's in my Rem 5R bolt gun at just over 2710 fps. I went from shooting Fed GMM 168's to my handload, and it is definately more peppy. Sadly, I did not chrono the Fed so as to have a starting point of reference, but I'm not qoing back as the handload suits me great.

Not arguing, asking...

No, all of the .308 semi autos I have had are hard on brass but all 3 have shot this load with great results.

I was more under the impression that a load like that was hard on the gun.

The max load for Varget from the Hodgdon website is 46 grains in .308 win. I am at 97% of the max and getting about 2650 fps. I see no issues with load being hard on the rifle. This rifle tears the brass up even with factory loaded rounds.

The primers are just starting to show pressure. The issues I have are the ejector marks and the dented brass this rifle kicks out.

The max load for Varget from the Hodgdon website is 46 grains in .308 win. I am at 97% of the max and getting about 2650 fps. I see no issues with load being hard on the rifle. This rifle tears the brass up even with factory loaded rounds.

The primers are just starting to show pressure. The issues I have are the ejector marks and the dented brass this rifle kicks out.

If you damage your rifle from shooting loads that are too hot in a gas gun you have no warranty. They only warranty rifles fired with factory ammo. If you think they can't tell what you've been shooting in it your crazy.

I ain't gonna mention any names, but I know one firearms manufacturer that will chemical test the powder residue in the rifle. No factory loaded ammo uses Varget. Loads that reach pressures close to max for a bolt gun will beat the spit out of an AR.

If you damage your rifle from shooting loads that are too hot in a gas gun you have no warranty. They only warranty rifles fired with factory ammo. If you think they can't tell what you've been shooting in it your crazy.

I ain't gonna mention any names, but I know one firearms manufacturer that will chemical test the powder residue in the rifle. No factory loaded ammo uses Varget. Loads that reach pressures close to max for a bolt gun will beat the spit out of an AR.

After hundreds of rounds and no issues, I see no problem with what I am running thru this gun. If was that worried about the warranty I wouldn't have shortened and reduced the barrel diameter, dropped in a JP trigger, and reduced the bolt carrier weight.

How about accuracy with mil surplus ?

I get around 2" with radway green @ 100 w/ the stock LR308 24"

What is the best accuracy with mil surp that you have found?

Craig

I get around 2 inches with Portugese, 3 inches with some nasty Czech crap someone gave me, and 3 inches with some British I had.

Mine shoots less than 1 MOA with any quality ammo I put in it. Even with ball it holds fairly close to 2 MOA.

My load is 42 grains BLC2 and a 175 grain Sierra matchking. works in the gas gun and the bolt gun, plus it meters so nicely in the powder thrower.

Has anyone tested the accuracy of a DPMS LR-308 with the 24" stainless bull barrel?

If so, what kind of results did you get?

Any suggestions for a starting load for this weapon

How about accuracy with mil surplus ?

I get around 2" with radway green @ 100 w/ the stock LR308 24"

What is the best accuracy with mil surp that you have found?

Craig

Depends on who made it, where, and when. 1-2 MOA seems to be the norm.

Kgunz11,

I just noticed your signing. I really like the "Be kinder..." statement. It is quite a truism.

I remember the movie Harvey with Jimmy Stewart (I think), he made a similar statement about being nicer to people. It has stuck with me all these many years.

Unfortunately, I violate the intention more than I would have liked.

Yours is a nice reminder to be kinder. Maybe it will stick better to me.

Thanks

I've shot 155 lapua's, 155 SMK's, 168 SMK's and 175 SMK's. Mine likes the 155 SMK's the best, load is 45.0 gr. RL-15 CCI benchrest for 2820 fps. Been getting 1/2 moa out to 800yd with it. Like others barrel has been turned down, JP trigger and threaded for brake/suppressor.

I've shot 155 lapua's, 155 SMK's, 168 SMK's and 175 SMK's. Mine likes the 155 SMK's the best, load is 45.0 gr. RL-15 CCI benchrest for 2820 fps. Been getting 1/2 moa out to 800yd with it. Like others barrel has been turned down, JP trigger and threaded for brake/suppressor.

My 155 load is with Berger bullets (much higher BC) and leaves the muzzle at 3050 fps. Shooting a 155 at 168 gr speeds wont get you far in long range accuracy. The slightest wind will school you.

Kgunz11,

I just noticed your signing. I really like the "Be kinder..." statement. It is quite a truism.

I remember the movie Harvey with Jimmy Stewart (I think), he made a similar statement about being nicer to people. It has stuck with me all these many years.

Unfortunately, I violate the intention more than I would have liked.

Yours is a nice reminder to be kinder. Maybe it will stick better to me.

Thanks

Sometimes people are having a bad day, maybe a bad week, even a bad year. Turn the cheek, it will make us better for it.