Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 and weak shells

paul788

I can't find my book right now but the gas ports holes on the target barrels are larger than the field barrels. They are set up this way so you can shoot lighter target loads. When I find the book I will post the sizes.

26" skeet 12ga bbl = .086"

26" field 12 ga bbl = .079"

At lease that is the info I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been "Playing" with 1100's for a lil' better'n thirty years...got my first one before I graduated High School, back in the "Prehistoric Past"...

FWIW, ALL my 1100's that were not/are not "Magnum" guns will "Run" very well with "Low Brass" Target Loads, I.E., 2 & 3/4 Dram, 1 & 1/8 oz. shot...

Over the years, I've discovered that SOME 1100's like to run "Wet", I.E., with LOTS of LUBE, and some like to run "Dry", or with little to no lubrication...my first 1100--a mid-to-late 70's "Skeet B"--runs great with little to no lube...but it LIKES to be cleaned every 500-700 shells or so, otherwise, it gets BALKY...

'

I have another 1100 of about the same age--also a 2 & 3/4 inch gun, 28'' Mod. barrel--that will run almost FOREVER with a coating of "Breakfree CLP" or "Remoil" wiped onto the outside of the Mag. tube...but try to run it DRY, and it'll "Choke" in the first 50-75 shells fired after a cleaning...

I guess 1100's are kinda' like some WOMEN I have known--some are "Higher Maintenance" than others, and it ALWAYS PAYS to PAY ATTENTION to the one you're with!!!...HTH....mikey357

Edited by mikey357

• 3 weeks later...
The ports need to be cleaned periodically too, if this borrowed gun hasn't been taken care of reasonably well it is possible that the ports are clogged up. My 1100 will run 1 ounce low recoil loads, 7/8 ounce handloads running 1150 fps and 3/4 ounce handloads at 1250. It has run every factory shell I have ever put in it.

I go very heavy on the oil, 5w-30 Mobil 1 most of the time, very little cleaning other than wiping the mag tube down and poking the ports out every couple thousand rounds. It has demonic elves with razor blades inside that will try to chop the ends of your fingers off if you ever stick them in the receiver, they even chop rags to shreds when pushed around inside with a screwdriver!! Beware the 1100 demons!!

:roflol: not laughing at you Howard, but this sure brings back memories of when I took care of the club gun 1100's at Maui Trap and Gun Club. I finally tamed those demons by taking their nest out of the receiver every time it needed to be cleaned. Luckily that nest was only held in with two pins. Them demons were nasty but I guess you'd be to if some yokel was always pulling on the door knocker and setting off M-80's in the burrow.

Try the old style piston which is 2 seperate piece. The new one is 2 pieces but they snap together to form a one piece piston assembly. The old style are 2 seperate pieces and are not able to be snapped together. The old style works better on light loads than the new style. Also try polishing the chamber. Wrap steel wool around an old brush and 1 section of rod and chuck it in the drill. It will keep the chamber spotless.

The winchester value pack of 100 shells from wal-mart is junk. I had the same exact problem with my 1100 tac-4, but when I bought a case of Diana's, with the same specs, it worked great. I think winchester makes weak ammo just for those wal-mart value packs.