Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 barrel in .45 slide ?

Jerome Poiret

Hi there,

I know that a .45 breechface is cut bigger than a .40.

But I also know of some guns that run 100% with a 9mm barrel fitted in a .40 slide.

Has anyone tried to fit a .40 barrel in a regular .45 slide? If yes, are there any tricks to make it run?

Thanks a lot and merry Christmas !!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

I know that a .45 breechface is cut bigger than a .40.

But I also know of some guns that run 100% with a 9mm barrel fitted in a .40 slide.

Has anyone tried to fit a .40 barrel in a regular .45 slide? If yes, are there any tricks to make it run?

Thanks a lot and merry Christmas !!

Well, Storm Lake seems to think you can, or at least used to think you could. Maybe there's a reason it's discontinued.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

I reckon if you can do it with a 10mm you can do it with a .40.

You'd need a 10mm/40 extractor. Probably want a llittle stiffer recoil spring, obviously .40 mags, 10mm will do in a pinch. The OAL difference of the .40 and .45 isn't too bad. You could probably load the .40s out a little longer. Seems to me the biggest problem would be that wide breechface and keeping the extractor from wanting to push it way over against the other side. If you could tune that little darlin' just right to snatch it up on it's way out of the mag it could work I guess. Doesn't seem like a match made in heaven.

Unless it's just a marketing deal, I don't know exactly what would make that "conversion barrel" any different than a Delta Elite barrel. But there's a lot I don't know.

I'm going to have to check into that 9mm in a .40. I just put a .40 barrel in my Delta Gold Cup for shooting economy. I could really go for 9mm price bullets.

Edited by nitetrane98

I hope this is not out of place..

I remember reading about replacing the barrel in your 45 with a barrel chambered for the 38 spec..Wanted to try it but couldn't find

someone to rechamber a 9mm barrel at a price I could afford,after all this would be just a fun thing ..Guess it is still rattling around the

empty brain case,would still try it if possible..

I hope this is not out of place..

I remember reading about replacing the barrel in your 45 with a barrel chambered for the 38 spec..Wanted to try it but couldn't find

someone to rechamber a 9mm barrel at a price I could afford,after all this would be just a fun thing ..Guess it is still rattling around the

empty brain case,would still try it if possible..

I've read that it's usually an extraction and ejection problem that queers the deal, not a matter of feeding. I think we're thinking along the sames lines about a fun thing. I think I'd be able to live with 85-90% reliabllilty for a plinker. I'm not a gamer.