Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bridgeport Assembly

CSEMARTIN

Again, what's wrong with the factory equipped lead screws?

Exactly!!!!!

I came to my senses yesterday. After several hours of trying to get the y-axis ballscrew to "center" itself, I made the decision to ditch the ballscrews. I spoke with the company that sold them to me and they are going to take them back and refund my money.

I feel so relieved. I can't wait to package everything up and ship them out of here.

Thanks guys for you help. The machine is now under power and fully assembled.

I still need to install the DRO, but that can wait until tomorrow. I'm beat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although assembled, I'm still fighting with the x-axis. It's unusually tight and I can't figure out why. It wasn't like this before.

The y-axis is beautiful.

Any ideas?

I've taken the table off and adjusted the screw that adjusts for backlash/tightness on the lead srew. I've also tried tweaking the crossfeed assembly brackets, and I've made sure to lubricate everything really well. Should I try adjusting the housing that holds everything to the saddle?

I had forgotten about this thread, Since my last post, I've dismantled mine moved it from the warehouse to my house (thanks for the advice about renting the liftgate truck) got it onto the slab in the back yard, reassembled it, and built the shed to house it without a single other persons help. I still have to shingle and side the outside of the shed but I'm hoping to have the phase converter this week and be able to fire it up. I'm trying to add pics but so far no luck

Hello: I would adjust the housing for the leedscrew nut.

I was afraid someone would say that. I wish there was a way to do that without having to take the table off first.

I was hoping youd put the ball lead screws in and rave about it.

Me too.

thanks for the advice about renting the liftgate truck

You're quite welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello: I would adjust the housing for the leedscrew nut. Also check that you have the gib in correctly etc.

I've had the table off four times today to adjust the housing, and I still can't get the x-axis to move freely. I've also made sure the gib is adjusted correctly.

I'm at a complete loss. Any other ideas?

I had forgotten about this thread, Since my last post, I've dismantled mine moved it from the warehouse to my house (thanks for the advice about renting the liftgate truck) got it onto the slab in the back yard, reassembled it, and built the shed to house it without a single other persons help. I still have to shingle and side the outside of the shed but I'm hoping to have the phase converter this week and be able to fire it up. I'm trying to add pics but so far no luck

What size shed did you build around it? I am about to do the same thing.

You may have a small piece of garbage in the leadscrew nut. While you have the table off, I'd check and make sure the screw itself isn't slightly tweaked, that can cause a lot of headaches! If that's not it.... I'll grab a chair in the same boat with you!

Ken

You were right Ken. Thanks a million.

There is a brass bushing inside that housing. I took it out and soaked it in Naptha, took a brush to it, then blew everything out. I relubricated everything, put her back together, and now the x-axis is very smooth.

Maybe I'll finally get the DRO on one of these days.

There is a brass bushing inside that housing. I took it out and soaked it in Naptha, took a brush to it, then blew everything out. I relubricated everything, put her back together, and now the x-axis is very smooth.

I was going to suggest this and ask if it still binds with the gibs backed off. Glad you got it working. One day I'll have one.

Amazing how the tiniest bit of muck muck can kick your ass.:surprise:

Pat

I was going to suggest this and ask if it still binds with the gibs backed off. Glad you got it working. One day I'll have one.

A Bridgeport is a kick in the pants to have. All of a sudden you can turn good parts into junk. Tooling it up is a never ending trip.

Pat

Edited by whatmeworry

• 3 weeks later...

Not that anyone cares, but so that my friends don't think I'm BSing these are the picks of the mill in the workshop I built for it. Now I need a lathe, and a LOT of tooling.post-15143-052307700 1285875791_thumb.jppost-15143-075810900 1285875802_thumb.jppost-15143-044670800 1285875813_thumb.jp

Not that anyone cares, but so that my friends don't think I'm BSing these are the picks of the mill in the workshop I built for it. Now I need a lathe, and a LOT of tooling.post-15143-052307700 1285875791_thumb.jppost-15143-075810900 1285875802_thumb.jppost-15143-044670800 1285875813_thumb.jp

Yep, tooling will be a long road and expensive for good stuff. If you know what your looking for and can separate the wheat from the chafe keep an eye out in Craigs List (tools). I've found some nice stuff there. Lots of junk too.

Pat

Fireant,

As per my PM, the Workshop (shed) is 10'x16' on a cement slab. If I can fix the problem that is keeping me from posting pics, I'll post a couople of under construction shots. Now I need to find a lathe. The only problem I have to date is that I keep going through phase converters, I'm on my third one so far. I also think that the X and Y axis have more backlash than I'd like, I tried to adjust them with no luck. I may replace the feed nuts down the road, but right now I'm having too much fun using the thing and don't want to take it apart. Thanks to all for good wishes.

jgun, forget the phase converters. Purchase an ac frequency drive. Put 220 single phase in and get 220 three phase out. You have to get the correct size and not all of them are single to three phase. Look at Automation Direct's website.

I have personally never had much luck with frequency drives.... rotary phase converter has worked for me for quite some time. 'course, I built each to suit its application. There are several decent online tutorials for DIY phase converters, but they elude me at the moment. I'll post back if I can locate them.

Ken