Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bridgeport Assembly

CSEMARTIN

I finished assembling my Bridgeport. Here are some pictures and commentary.

After positioning the column, I used an engine hoist to lower the knee onto the column while lining up the elevating inch screw with the pedestal.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The feed nut bracket assembly is a little tricky (for me it was anyway).

You have to carefully position this piece, and it has to be turned 90 degrees to get it to fit through the saddle, then turn it back 90 degrees to line it up for the lead screw.

Now that the assembly is in place, tighten down the four bolts that hold it in place. Once the table is on, you can't get at them again (I learned that the hard way).

With the assembly ready to go, thread in the lead screw and secure the cross feed bearing bracket to the knee.

I installed the left table end bracket and fed the lead screw from the opposite end of the table.

Once the lead screw is all the way through the feed nut bracket assembly, install the right table end bracket and secure to the table. At this point, both handles should be off so the graduation dials can be slid into place.

Edited by CSEMARTIN

Several members on this forum recommended Mike at http://candomachinery.com/index.html

I bought an Acu-Rite DRO, and I began installing it tonight. Mike gave me a good deal, but the mounting bracket wasn't that great. I ended up having to go to ACE Hardward to get washers that would fit. The washers that came with the kit were too thick.

You will need to drill and tap two 5/16-18 by 5/8" holes in order to mount the bracket. Then follow the directions to mount the unit. I added two nylon washers to the LCD display.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting this! Isn't mounting the head a pain! It took me a while to figure out the rigging for getting it done solo. I really like that lift you're using, it's a lot wider at the base than the HF I have. Great job!

Isn't mounting the head a pain!

Man, you said it!!! That was the hardest part!

I hope this thread helps some guys out there. I couldn't find anything on the net on how to take apart/assemble one. Getting one in the basement is difficult, but not impossible.

• 1 month later...

Nice mill. The DRO your installing should make that thing rock.

I can't believe you were able to get that into the basement, those castings look like they weigh

a ton!

In one of the pictures I noticed a blue looking, I'm going to guess, boiler with vent openings at the top. You might want to guard it from chips that might fly that direction.

Nice set up.

T slot on the face of the table should be in the front. The slot is for the adjustable (by you) stops limiting the table movement either towords the right or left. If you add an X axis table power feed the table movement limit stops will be mounted in this slot.

CYa,

Pat