Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35 for Competition Shooting

WatchmanUSA

Best advice, buy one and practice.

I concur wholeheartedly and without reservation.

One other point on the barrel swap thing. When I was looking to get out of .40 and into 9mm, I was going to switch barrels and then read about the above rule. I then thought I could get an aftermarket Lone Wolf G34 slide and have a multi-caliber "switch-top" Glock. However, USPSA has ruled that because of the forward cocking serrations (which in no way I can conceive of give any kind of advantage) violate the rule about having an unmodified (ie not lightened) slide. A modified slide is not, however, illegal for Limited, so you could start with a G17 or G34 and add a Lone Wolf G35 slide and barrel and have a 2 division legal "switch-top" Glock.

After reading the posts from HoMiE and jsykes last night I became very curious about the IDPA rules. I wanted to know what the issues really might be so decided to study the IDPA rules concerning barrels and caliber conversions in the IDPA divisions.

I mean no disrespect to the opinion of others but I have come to my own conclusion and I offer it for comments.

1. One would reasonably assume that the IDPA rules were not written on a cocktail napkin at the local bar. Rather the rules were carefully thought out as best as the rules committee could at the time.

2. Further it is reasonable to assume that the rules were given to an attorney (perhaps several times) for review. As you may know attorneys are nothing but anal about word use and consistency. Words usage is important.

3. It is extremely unusual for one rule to have multiple meanings and application. Attorneys like organizational rules to be clear and understandable to all who might join a club or organization.

For sake of speed I will define a couple of terms I will use:

• NOT ALLOWED IN ANY DIVISION: C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing. This I will refer to as the Heavy Barrel Rule or HBR.

• Stock Service Pistol Division - EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list): 6. A barrel of another caliber that is not offered in the original factory model.

I will refer to this as the Caliber Conversion Rule or CCR.

Heavy Barrel Rule (HBR)

I believe that this HBR clause refers to heavy “Bull” type barrels not being allowed in IDPA. The reasoning is that the gun maker STI builds the Eagle 5.0 pistol that is legal for both IDPA and IPSC. However, on the STI Web site it specifically states that the Eagle 5.0 is only IDPS legal with a bushing barrel. STI, who one would assume has researched this with IDPA, warns buyers that an Eagle 5.0 with a bull barrel is not IDPA legal in any division. The only rule I could find that would address this is HBR.

Secondly, if the HBR was inclusive of caliber conversions there would have been no reason to include the specific rule of CCR in the SSP division rules.

Thirdly, the ESP division rules make no mention of CCR as being excluded. In this age of word processing it would have been very easy to copy and paste the CCR into the ESP excluded modifications.

As a result I conclude that HBR refers to heavy “Bull” type barrels and not to caliber conversions.

Caliber Conversion Rule (CCR)

I believe that CCR is specifically restricted in SSP because it is clearly stated in the rules.

However, CCR is not in the ESP rules. As stated above, in this age of word processing it would have been very easy to copy and paste the CCR into the ESP excluded modifications. The IDPA rule makers did not include the language.

In addition, as stated above, HBR does not apply to CCR. HBR applies to heavy “Bull” type barrels only.

Just my humble opinions…

Merry Christmas!

I agree with you Watchman. Heavy barrels is specifically related to cone style or bull barrels such as those used in 1911/2011 platforms. Its not related to the swap of a Glock barrel at all.

ESP does not say anything about swapping out barrels for caliber changes. They allow other enhancements to the gun as well, making it not stock. So I would think you could swap to a 9mm barrel in a G35 if you're running ESP.

However, in SSP, the goal is to remain stock. Its says that caliber conversions are not allowed if the original gun is not available in multiple calibers. As from my previous post, a gun such as the Sig P226, which is available in three calibers from the factory, you would be able to make a change. A gun like the G35, which is only available in ONE caliber, you could not.

It would be easy if Glock wanted to get around this. They could simply change their naming scheme to something like Sigs and just have a G34 and make it available in multiple calibers getting rid of the G35 naming. Likewise, if they didnt have a G22 and G17 for the different calibers and just used one name and offered multiple calibers, it would be legal by the rules.

But they dont, therefore they are different guns and therefore not legal to make caliber changes under the current SSP rules.

I think it's a challenge to have SOs, MDs to try to enforce these things. I'm not saying the rules are without reason it's just that it's so hard to check. Other than weight and size (IDPA box) you'd have to give the guns a serious look over/break down to find these things. I personally don't even know how significant the difference is between a 9mm barrel in a G34 is compared to a 9mm conversion barrel in a G35. I have seen things like stippled grips in a supposed SSP gun and a few other odds things but I'm sure there are some that I'd miss... not that I'm an expert.. nor am I condoning any breaking of rules.

Either way- back on topic- I personally think a G34 is an awesome gun for IDPA and USPSA (SSP and Prod). I think the G34 has distinct advantages in SSP or Production over a G35. G35 would be great to get into Limited. I have two G34s and have hesitated to get a G35 to date. Although I might just get one to feel "complete". LOL.

I'm probably going to buy a pistol this coming week. The advice is appreciated. I have not made a final decision but in the end I doubt that either a G34 or G35 is a bad choice. I may come down to availability.

BTW - My wife gave me a reloading book for Christmas so I guess I have the green light for order a press.

I'm probably going to buy a pistol this coming week. The advice is appreciated. I have not made a final decision but in the end I doubt that either a G34 or G35 is a bad choice. I may come down to availability.

BTW - My wife gave me a reloading book for Christmas so I guess I have the green light for order a press.

If you know you will be reloading, then *definitely* get the 35 over the 34!

The .40 can easily be downloaded to 'less than 9x19' levels of recoil to compete effectively in Production, but the 9x19 can never be loaded hot to make Major in Limited, or L-10.

I ordered a Dillon 550B and all the accoutrements from Brian in time to beat the '09 price increase. Plus I'm headed to the gun shop tomorrow to order (or pick-up) the Glock 35. A local shop has it for $589 plus tax.

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations. The recommendations for the Glock 35 was 2-to-1 over the Glock 34.

Now I have to pick up brass, bullets, powder, primers, belt, holster, concealment garment and mag pouches. Man this is an expensive hobby to get started in.

I thought golf was expensive. Then it again it is cheaper than restoring cars…

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a challenge to have SOs, MDs to try to enforce these things.

I think I am going to drive someone nuts. I just purchase a Glock 24 that had a barrel & slide swap to a G35, by Glock It is not a caliber swap. Is it still legal in SSP

I think it's a challenge to have SOs, MDs to try to enforce these things.

I think I am going to drive someone nuts. I just purchase a Glock 24 that had a barrel & slide swap to a G35, by Glock It is not a caliber swap. Is it still legal in SSP

yes.

My Dillon 550 arrived late Friday so I spent the weekend, off & on, getting it set up. The test cartridges I ran through came out good. Now I'm waiting for my G35 to show up so I can begin test firing and fine tuning. To start I'm using Montana Gold 180 gr with 4.16gr of Titegroup on Win SP primers and an OAL of 1.124.

One thing you might want to watch for is the fact that I have seen most striker fired weapons have problems with Winchester primers. They are harder and more prone to light strikes. I would suggest Federal primers. They are softer and I have never had a light strike on one unless there was a problem with the gun. Good call on the 35. I just got a 22 Friday and I love it. I'm dying to compare it to my M&P. Just a little low on bullets right now.

I started with the Glock 34 but purchased a Glock 35 a couple years ago. The Glock 34 or 35 will be your new favorite gun .... it's mine! The Glock 35 is great for IDPA or USPSA although the 9mm (G34) shoots a little softer.

Never Had a problem with WIN primers in a glock. Even with a Wolf reduced striker spring. Thousands of rounds fired.

Same here. Now that I've said this I'll probably get one! With a Glock it's always important to make sure the striker channel is clean and dry!!

Never Had a problem with WIN primers in a glock. Even with a Wolf reduced striker spring. Thousands of rounds fired.

Same here. Now that I've said this I'll probably get one! With a Glock it's always important to make sure the striker channel is clean and dry!!

Glocks have to be clean? :roflol: But at any rate good choice with the 35. I love mine....even though I haven't had much time to shoot it lately due to my being in "Southwest Asia". Good luck to you.

I am also a bit envious of the reloader. That is something I need to pick up as well.....more money to spend.

• 2 weeks later...
The G35 will allow you to shoot Production (minor) and Standard (major) in USPSA and SSP in IDPA.

The G34 will allow you to shoot Production (minor) and Standard (minor) in USPSA and SSP in IDPA.

That's almost correct --- USPSA doesn't have a STANDARD division though.....

It does have Limited and Limited 10 --- the G-35 can play in both at major, and the G-34 can play in both at minor....

Ugh, bla bla bla.... Real simple. If you are reloading (appears so) and you want to minimize the amount of guns and maximize divisions and sports, Glock 35, period.

If you are shooting factory, Glock 34 and get to shootin in the divisions/sports it's applicable in.

Either way, it's practice and training that will advance your shooting. Pick a division and practice until you plateau. Then look at changing divisions to possibley help get over the stall.

I know that's very abbreviated, but in the end it's just that simple. Shooting isn't hard, just get rid of all the other junk and practice.

Shoot the 35 at 130 PF in USPSA production and IDPA SSP for a while, get the basics down, and get your reloading procedures down, then load up to 170 PF and shoot Limited and L-10 in USPSA.

Pick the game you like the best and then run with it. I started out IDPA for a couple of years and now lean to more USPSA matches if two are on the same day.

Good luck

The G35 will allow you to shoot Production (minor) and Standard (major) in USPSA and SSP in IDPA.

The G34 will allow you to shoot Production (minor) and Standard (minor) in USPSA and SSP in IDPA.

That's almost correct --- USPSA doesn't have a STANDARD division though.....

It does have Limited and Limited 10 --- the G-35 can play in both at major, and the G-34 can play in both at minor....

Thanks.

I shoot IPSC and have only shot 2 USPSA matches - both last November in Georgia.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my new Glock 35 on Monday and took it to the range Monday night. I shot factory and reloaded ammo through it and it worked great!

Thanks everyone for your help.

I tried to post a picture but I guess the file is too large or I don't know how to do it properly.