Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Airsoft for junior

carinab

I did a search on airsoft but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for. I've been thinking about getting an airsoft so my daughter can not only dry fire with me but come with me out to the range every now and again. She doesn't have much interest at the moment (karate and gymnastics are more fun) and the couple of times she has shot a .22 she didn't like the noise. But she does like running the timer when I dry fire. So I thought we could take turns and count X's.

There are some full size double stack models on http://www.airsplat.com. But the grip would be too large for my 7 year old I'd imagine. Which 1911 style airsoft might work for both of our hands? Perhaps the single stacks? And which brand holds up best? What features work best (cycle, non cycle, etc)? Despite being female, I have a large grip - a glock 21 is comfortably fine to give an example.

Edited by carinab

Well you might check out the Glock models. But I think you will find that the grip circumfrance is about the same with the double stack and single stack guns. You could also narrow the grip a bit like with a real gun. I had GmanBart tune up my grip a bit and seems a bit narrower.

DSC03619.jpg

Not sure if you have seen the video or not, but here are my three with on of my "untuned" airsoft guns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgz8BolUt64

Edited by Rocket35

• 2 weeks later...
And which brand holds up best? What features work best (cycle, non cycle, etc)?

Not sure on 1911s but I shoot an M&P in production and bought a KWA Sigma Airsoft (no M&P blowback available yet) and have no complaints. I think the Airsoft version of the Sigma is better than the real gun, LOL. Airsoft with the kids is great family time. I just started my 8 year old daughter shooting this month and she loves it!

Regardless of the gun model...

Features to look for:

Gas Blow Back - slide moves back with every shot

Metal slide - plastic may or may not holdup to the blowback action and you get a more recoil with the heavier slide

Takes Green Gas

Additional components:

Propane adapter - lets you use cheap and available camping propane instead of green gas

Silicon Oil - to add to the propane to lube your gun

Black BBs - harder to see in flight than the lighter colored projectiles so your kid(s) will have to learn to call their shot instead of looking at the BB like a tracer.

Hope this helps...and have fun!

Carina, if you are going to JCSSA this Sat. I will bring my airsoft and let you play with it to see what you think. It is a SS 1911 and I have used it as a starting point for new shooters with great success.

Bill

My grandson just got a M16 full auto air soft

for Christmas, and is going thru pellets faster

than we can supply him.

Where's the best place to buy the airsoft pellets ?

I just spent $15 at Gander Mtn for 2,000 - one

third the price of .22 LR's:(((

Must be a place to buy them for $5 -6 / 2,000?

Jack

My grandson ......... is going thru pellets faster than we can supply him....
I don't know the best price, but with a full auto fun-gun, you should look into spending the extra $ on biodegradeable BBs.

You'll thank me later, when you're not finding BBs all over the place.

FWIW,

I read somewhere that the Japanese (or wherever the BBs are made) timeframe of "biodegradable" may be different from what we might think. Anything is pretty much biodegradable in 500 years for example. You might want to test some first.