Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finished Round Counter

I have 5 different tool heads for my 650, and most have the now discontinued cartridge counter installed on them. Since Dillon no longer sells them, and ebay sellers get a small fortune for them, I got to thinking about fabricating a replacement.

Instead of counting individual rounds like the old counter does, has anyone here set up something that counts press strokes instead? A counter that is functioned by the ram or shell plate holder could be a permanent mount used no matter what caliber you are reloading. It could be mechanical or electrical. If anyone has made anything like this, could you please post pictures? I have some ideas, but would like to see what others have done.

TIA!!!

I'll post a few pictures of my electronic counter as soon as I get it adjusted right. I purchased an electronic head from Graingers and mounted it to the Case Feeder support. I have an IR transmitter and receiver mounted to a bracket on the ejection chute to catch the bullet as it exits the reloader. So far, it misses about 1 out of every 200 rounds and I can't seem to catch it in the act of missing that count. I think the round is tumbling over the beam rather than through it. So close... Anyway, the parts total is right at $60 now and it is not dependant on the toolhead or caliber.

Try mounting something to the Powder Bar mechanism. That is the same on most presses (550 / 650 / 1050) and if a round isnt in that station when you pull the handle the counter doesn't see that, so it doesn't increment.

+1

That is what I did.

I used the pedometer as seen here:

Link to thread

Easy 10 minute solder / rewire job, and I put the switch on the powder bar, which only increments on a loaded charge.

Works slick, held in place with double sided sticky (the clear gooy stuff) tape. Has work for thousands of rounds to date, with heat fluctuations from 30 degrees to 75.

Not my original idea, however works very slick.

Try mounting something to the Powder Bar mechanism. That is the same on most presses (550 / 650 / 1050) and if a round isnt in that station when you pull the handle the counter doesn't see that, so it doesn't increment.

+1

That is what I did.

I used the pedometer as seen here:

Link to thread

Easy 10 minute solder / rewire job, and I put the switch on the powder bar, which only increments on a loaded charge.

Works slick, held in place with double sided sticky (the clear gooy stuff) tape. Has work for thousands of rounds to date, with heat fluctuations from 30 degrees to 75.

Not my original idea, however works very slick.

That's an interesting idea - but I'm thinking more along the lines of something mounted to the press so I won't have to change it when I change tool heads.

I'll post a few pictures of my electronic counter as soon as I get it adjusted right. I purchased an electronic head from Graingers and mounted it to the Case Feeder support. I have an IR transmitter and receiver mounted to a bracket on the ejection chute to catch the bullet as it exits the reloader. So far, it misses about 1 out of every 200 rounds and I can't seem to catch it in the act of missing that count. I think the round is tumbling over the beam rather than through it. So close... Anyway, the parts total is right at $60 now and it is not dependant on the toolhead or caliber.

Do you have the part number for the counter?

• 1 year later...

I built the electronic counter that was diagrammed on this site, using an LCD counter from Grainger. I think I built the whole thing for less than $30 and an hours worth of work. I used an aluminum project box that I bought off e-bay for the enclosure and a broom handle mounting clip to mount it to the press. Wires were from the maintenance guys at work and the rest of the switches I had laying around from other projects. Usually came a couple to the pack.

My setup is on a Dillon XL650. I mounted a limit switch using the existing bolts on the indexer cam so every time a primer is seated the round gets counted. This was a good place to start but and it works, but I think I am going to move the limit switch to the crimp die once I figure out how to mount it so it will stay on the press when you change the tool head. This switch will be actuated when a round is in the crimp die using a plunger that will bump the bullet when it is at the top of the crimp stroke. I built the plunger so it is adjustable, similar to the plunger that was on the original Dillon counter that is married to the toolhead.

Once I get my final setup in place I will post more pics.

post-25247-061689300 1281304895_thumb.jp

post-25247-014831900 1281304943_thumb.jp

post-25247-056231000 1281304957_thumb.jp