Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 200gr .40S&W Load Info Needed

Lumpy

Hi Guy/Gals,

I did a forum search and couldn't find the info I was looking for.

I'm switching from N340 to N320 for 180 & 200gr loads in .40S&W.

There was a link to a IPSC shooters database for loads, but I was unable to find it in my search.

I'm looking for a starting load for 200gr with VV N320 and heck if you have a starting load for 180gr with VV N320 that would be great. OAL would be greatly appreciated as well.

VV website does not have any data for this powder/calibre combo.

Thanks in Advance

(Edited by Lumpy at 2:08 pm on Aug. 26, 2002)

Lumpy,

I am thinking that the vv320 might be a faster powder than most people want to run with 200g bullets in the 40.

There is a load or two on Jeff Maass' site.  One is for lead and the other is for a plated bullet.  The two loads are pretty far apart in their OAL, charge weight, and velocity...so, I don't know where I would start.

If you are getting any feedback, nor finding any data...well, maybe that is a sign that it isn't the best combination?

Hi Flexmoney,

I think people just haven't shared their results with the 200gr.

Yes, I saw the 2 loads, and they were quite far apart for dimensions so I asked here again so I can get a better idea of a starting point.

I'll give it a whirl. I've got lots of 180's and 5000 200gr's kicking about.

Thanks

Thanks Flexmoney,

GM3 is a shotgun powder, relatively fast burning, only slightly faster than WW231, produced by NobelSPORT, Vectan or SNPE (I'm not sure, here in Italy it is sold by an Italian manufacturer), which is quite cheap and easy to find.

• 2 months later...

Hi Lumpy,

What manufacture is your barrel?

Is it a match after market barrel?

Is it freebored allowing you the flexibility of using faster burning powders such as VV N320?

Is your barrel broach cut rifling?Button rifling or elecrode cathode machined rifling.

Generally ECM rifling will give you a better seal of the expanding gases behind the bullet on ignition allowing you to reduce the charge about two tenth of a grain in comparison to button or broach cut rifled barrels.

In other words....ECM barrels{Nowlin,Briley} are more efficient in the use of the expanding gases used to propel the bullet down the barrel.

These are important aspects to consider when developing a load.

I myself have a SVI Infinity limited pistol with a match .40 Nowlin ECM bull barrel "Freebored" and have used Hornady,Montana Gold & Zero bullets of the 200 grain weight.

It is very important to note that the load I am about to state here is for a freebored .40 barrel only and should not be shot in any other .40 barrel that is not freebored and does not fully support the case.

Namely it is ment to be shot in any 1911 auto chambered for the .40 S&W cartrige.

The load is 4.7 grains of VV N320 with and overall length of 1.240 using once fired Winchester brass and Winchester small rifle primers with a crimp of .421.

I also have a load for the 180 grain bullet in the same set-up and that is 5.2 grains of VV N320 with an overall length of 1.230 using once fired Winchester brass and Winchester small rifle primers with a crimp of.421.

Please note that if your set-up is not a 1911 configuration or type of firearm and it does not have a freebored barrel,do not use this recipe under any circumstances.

As a mater of fact I recomend if you do have a factory spec. barrel you consider a slower burning powder such as Winchester Super Field or Hodgdon Universal Clays.

Knowledge is Power.

Flexmoney,

Freebore means removing the same amount of rifling ahead of the chamber as the diameter of the caliber you are chambered for.

In other words a throater reamer is used to remove this minimal amount.

What is the minimal amount in the case of a .40 S&W?

0.400 thousandths of an inch.

The Ideal amout if you shoot lead also in your barrel say for practice should be having it freebored to a maximum of 0.500 thousandths of an inch and not more.

I have had mine freebored 0.500 thousandths of an inch by a professional pistolsmith myself.

What are the advantages of freeboring?

Well....freeboring will allow you to seat the bullet out longer giving you more reliable feeding.

By freeboring and the fact that you now have the ability to seat the bullets out longer creating more capacity or volume in the case will permit you to use faster burning powders safely such VV N320, Titegroup,Clays,and International Clays.

Peak pressures are reduced also in doing so making the use of faster burning powders safer to use.

Is that all?

No you also get lower felt recoil by useing the faster burning powders in a freebored barrel more safely if you will,more so than in one that is not and is being loaded to .40 oal specifications.

Why do you think most of the professional shooters and all, have a tendency to have leanings towards faster burning propellants?The answer lower felt recoil if not less recoil altogether.

To sum it all up....freeboring your barrel by a professional pistolsmith will give you the following advantages.

*Seating out the bullets longer = More reliable feeding.

*Ability to use faster burning propellants safely = Giving you in return lower felt recoil if not less recoil altogether along with lower peak pressures on ignition.

And a piece of mind knowing that you are safe in the use of the faster burning propellant you have chosen to use.

Knowledge is power.

I triedd some 200 gr load last weekend. Precision ( black bullet) with 4.1 grs of V V 320 1.205 OAL. I haven't chroned it yet but it is much softer than the load I am currently using which is 180 gr 5.3 gr VV 320 at 1.185 OAL.