Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1 Garand

darlingj79

Where is the best place to buy a working M1 Grand?

CMP

Your USPSA membership qualifies you.

Ed

COOL.

Was wanting to find a way to get "in" w/ CMP to buy an M1 this coming year sometime.

Thanks,

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I got one from the CMP a couple of years ago. The wood has a few dents and dings, but overall the gun is in pretty good shape. To me the dents are a part of history and only serve to increase the thing's attactivness. It functions perfectly and while not a tackdriver I can generally hit what I shoot at.

I shot it in a local MG match the other day. And while I did not finish at the top, neither did I finish at the bottom. But most importantly I had a HOOT of a time. I think I am going to try shooting my M1903A3 next time. I just have to practive a little with those stripper clips I have on order.

And by the way, the CMP is the cheapest place around to buy 30.06 ammo.

Yankee Dog

Buy a service grade from CMP, it might be acceptable for match shooting, but no guarantees of accuracy. You can always buy a rack or field grade and rebarrel it too. Or buy a barreled receiver from them and build up from scratch to your liking. I've got a couple M1s from CMP. A WWII serial numbered Springfield with a '53 replacement barrel shoots well for me. An HRA from Korea era isn't quite so accurate. It's all luck of the draw. Check prices at gun shows or online and compare with CMP. Their prices ain't so bad!

This depends on what you are after, I wanted an accurate shooting low serial number Garand that had been restored. Mine was built in 1943 and has been faithfully restored. I got it from James River Armory - they gurantee their work and it is a first rate outfit.

http://jamesriverarmory.com/store/index.ph...cc541aab70cf5bd

Edited by Bigfoot21075