Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 mags

ryan45kim

Has anyone here tried the C Products DPMS 20rd stainless steel magazines?

Do they drop free in you're DPMS 308 rifle?

Do they hold 20rds or only 19rds like the DPMS factory mags?

Are there any OAL issues with these magazines?

Are they reliable magazines?

How well have they held up to real use?

Anything else about the magazines or the company would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan

They hold 20, but are hard to seat when loaded to capacity. Like harder than they should be. I feel more confident using the DPMS 19rd mags. I've not used the one that I have very much at all, but it loaded fine and fed fine through the gun.

Same dimensions on the outside. Different follower, the 1st round guide on top is squared off instead of rounded. Kinda looks like a MagPul follower, but it is definately not anti-tilt. You can push it down in the front just like a DPMS. Mag itself feels just a bit heavier, but I have not put it on a scale to make sure. Outside body is semi-gloss and the finish is not extremely durable. Already it shown more wear than my DPMS mags. Where the DPMS seam is on the front and overlapped, the C Products seam is dead in teh center of the rib on the rear of the mag body. The weld is smooth and even. The feed lips to look more sturdy as they have material joining them from the back side and squaring them off from the material folded over from the side.

I do like the mag, other than the fact that the ONE that I have is hard to seat when loaded to capacity. That is really the only issue I truly have with it. I am more than happy to use it for a starter mag, it will give me the potential to engage up to 10 paper and reload closed bolt. The seating issues are more akin to a tuned to the max big stick for a open pistol that you really have to put some pressure on to get to lock into place.

BTW, if any of you want some pix, let me know what angles and comparisons and I will do my best to accomidate you.

Ken

Edited by ken hebert

I can't tell you yet how they work, but I do have some on order based on the following

email reply from C Products.

Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2008 8:36 AM

To: dvc2a

Subject: RE: 308 Mags

Dear dvc2a:

Thank you for contacting our C-Products Customer Service Center. This

is in response to your message.

Yes the 20 Rd .308 Magazines that we offer are for the DPMS LR308. You

are able to place the order online, however do to the overwhelming

request for orders, we ask that you allow three to five weeks for your

order to ship.

Thank you for your patronage. Your 100% satisfaction is always our

goal.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

customerservice@cproductsllc.com

30 Elmwood Court

Newington CT 06111

Phone: 860.953.5007

Fax: 860.953.0729

www.cproductsllc.com

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2008 6:11 AM

To: Customer Service

Subject: 308 Mags

Hello,

Will your 308 20 round mag, fit/work in a DPMS LR308? If so do you have

any in stock and what is the lead time to backorder if you do not?

Thanks,

dvc2a

I've not personally done this yet with either the C-products or DPMS magazines, but the spring seems to be WAY to strong and I suspect that 2 or 3 coils can be cut off to get that 20th round in so that the mag can be seated properly, without affecting function.

The spring is the same length as a 30 round AR15 magazine, yet the mag body is only about 75% as long as a 30 round AR15 magazine.

Probably worth a shot, if you can get spare springs to play around with.

And....if anyone knows of a better way to take them mags apart....rather than using a sharpened screwdriver tip...let me know!!! They are about the hardest magazine I've ever had to take apart!!

Although I have several C Products AR 15 mags that work flawlessly my experience with the 308 mags was not as good.

I ordered 10 mags. Of the ten none would hold more than an extremely tight 19 rds (no way in hell of getting 20 withouth cutting the spring) and a couple would only hold 18. All 10 were pretty tight in two different DPMS lowers and none would drop free when the mag was released.

C products was great on all levels as far as customer service went and offered to replace the mags but rather than wait I bought DPMS mags instead. All of my DPMS mags (12) hold 20 and drop free with no mods.

As always YMMV, good luck.

FYI, my original DPMS mags only held 19 rounds, but with a recent batch I received, I could squeeze 20 rounds in - maybe DPMS fixed something ? The mags were tight going in the rifle, but they did go in. Cycling the bolt was hard though, and I've not had the chance to test fire these mags... I just threw them in the safe, but when I get a chance I will play with them some more and see if I can make them easier to insert (e.g. by clipping some coils off the spring). I also want to compare the followers in old vs. new mags.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

So the consensus is that the DPMS magazines are better?

I have heard that the issues with the C products magazines are the spring is to long (only 18 or 19 rounds per magazine) and the magazine catch is too high. Is there anything I’m missing?

I’ve been reading about them at AR-15.com where the owner of C products seams to post a lot and they seam to be refining these magazines so does anyone have recently manufactured ones they could compare to the older ones?

I don’t have an AR in 308 yet but it is on my short list and I’d like to get some magazines.

Stainless steel and half the price of DPMS make these very tempting but I don’t want to buy them if they don’t work.

FYI, my original DPMS mags only held 19 rounds, but with a recent batch I received, I could squeeze 20 rounds in - maybe DPMS fixed something ? The mags were tight going in the rifle, but they did go in. Cycling the bolt was hard though, and I've not had the chance to test fire these mags... I just threw them in the safe, but when I get a chance I will play with them some more and see if I can make them easier to insert (e.g. by clipping some coils off the spring). I also want to compare the followers in old vs. new mags.

I believe the follower is thinner on the newer mags allowing 20rds

all my new mags hold 20rds, I don't have any older mags to verify this though.

Craig

On ar15.com, I believe CProducts said they had a batch of mags which had a thicker finish than normal; this impacts dropping free and capacity. There were also some follower changes.

DPMS still advertises theirs as 19 rounds. Looks like some hold 20; I guess I will load up one of mine as a test. 44mag discounts the price off MSRP.

Hmmm...CProducts' direct price is $21.99 right now, they are backordered and accepting orders. However, they charge your card up front, not at shipping. 44mag sells the same mags, $29.99 (higher than CP direct), backordered and accepting orders, but they do not charge your card until shipped.

Lee