Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need advice

rexican

Hi all, I've shot a couple matches with my glock 35 in production class and I have to make a decision. I reload and shoot lead rounds out of the glock, but I want to be able to reuse my brass (which means I need a replacement barrel). But for the same price I can pick up a holster for my long neglected Dawson .40 and move up to limited. My mag holsters are interchangeable between the two, and if I shoot the dawson I can score major and not have to worry about so many mag changes breaking my noob concentration. I shoot the glock well, but the Dawson will make anybody look good :)

So that's where I'm at, $125 away from either option and I've almost got enough posts to qualify me for the classifieds.

post-16106-1228450226_thumb.jpg

Buy a U-die and you don't need a new barrel to reload the Glock brass, not the first 15+ reloadings anyway....

There is a lot of internet BS regarding Glocks, reloading for Glocks, shooting Glocks, modifying Glocks, etc. Educate yourself.

I'd shoot Limited, but that is just me. Buy a Blade Tech DOH for the 2011 and for $59 you are good to go, plus it is just as fast as any race holster ever devised and more secure.

I'm with HSMITH, just reload the Glock brass. There isn't anything wrong with it. I reload range pickup 40 brass for my STI Edge and most of it is from Glocks and I haven't had a single issue with it.

I also agree with getting a Blade Tech DOH for the STI. I've tried both and the Blade Tech is just as fast and also it is easier to get your initial grip without risk of the gun popping loose too early in the draw especially if you use the scoop draw technique.

So, get a EGW U die and the Blade Tech for less $ than buying a new barrel for the Glock and then you are ready to shoot both divisions whenever you want.

Chris

Buy a U-die and you don't need a new barrel to reload the Glock brass, not the first 15+ reloadings anyway....

There is a lot of internet BS regarding Glocks, reloading for Glocks, shooting Glocks, modifying Glocks, etc. Educate yourself.

I'd shoot Limited, but that is just me. Buy a Blade Tech DOH for the 2011 and for $59 you are good to go, plus it is just as fast as any race holster ever devised and more secure.

+.02 here!

What I highlighted in red is some of the best advise that I would have liked to listen to when I started just a few years ago. I have bought several race holsters.... and I mean several :blush: some I really liked, but when it came down to the full picture, I think that they do not suite that game as well. So now I have come full circle back to the Blade tech. It really is just the better set up.... IMO.

Good luck B)

Thanks for the input everybody. I'm definitely going to enjoy shooting the Dawson more. I'll be perusing the classifieds for a blade tech in the next couple of weeks; if I don't find one I'll order a new one.

I've had the U-die in mind for some time now, and it's about time I break down and order one.

You don't even need the U-die, if you're reloading for the G35. The Dillon dies work perfectly, up to 30k rounds through mine so far.

H.

+1. I reload on an SDB and have an OEM barrel, it eats its own brass just fine.

I was in your situation a few years back, shooting Glocks alot but owning an EDGE and wanting to shoot it. Well, I bought a Bladetech DOH for the STI and never looked back. Once you start competing with the 2011 platform in Limited, you will become addicted. In production there are quite a few different platforms that all do well competing in the mix. However, in Limited and Open, the vast majority of us are using some kind of 1911/2011 setup. And while there are an infinite number of accessories and modification you can do to the 1911/2011 most of the fat has been trimmed from the that platform. What that ultimately means is that once you start shooting your Edge in Limited division, you have stepped onto a MORE level playing field where shooting skill is ultimately what decides the match results. And, while there are other platforms (CZ, Glocks, etc.,etc.) being used in Open and Limited divisions, they all end up getting modified to handle, feel, balance, shoot, like a 1911/2011.

I am not meaning to say that the 1911/2011 is the best platform. Everybody has to find what is best FOR THEM. However, because it has been around for so long and has been used in competition SO MUCH it does not take long for a shooter to realize that they really just need to focus on trigger control, sight picture, transitions, eye speed, and mind set.

I got started in USPSA shooting at the same time as a couple of other shooters in my area. For the most part we all went through a similar progression like this:

Owned a Glock/XD/Beretta and shot it in Production division. Saw other shooters with 1911/2011 in Limited and Open and thought they looked really cool. Tried making their Glock/XD/Beretta work in Limited Division. Spent money on twinkie gear and worthless mods that sounded good but still did not make a big difference. Bought a 1911/2011 and experienced a slight interim period where they could not shoot either their new or old gun very well. Those that stayed with the 1911/2011 became incurable addicts and students of everything 1911. Experimented with: reloading recipes, Magwells, mainspring housings, guide rods, sights, triggers, etc, etc, etc. Finally, ending up with a 5" or 6" 1911/2011 that is not too heavy and not too light but JUST RIGHT that has tuned mags, a fast burning powder under a relatively heavy bullet, a 1.5-3 lb trigger, and 1 or 2 personal touches on their gun.

Now, while we all went about this on our own, when we show up to the range and gun-up it is surprising how similar our gear ends up being!!! So, that is my way of saying GET A BLADETECH DOH, PUT THAT EDGE IN IT AND START SHOOTING IT!!!!! Open comes next.....don't fight it.......you WILL end up buying an OPEN gun.....just one more step in the logical progression listed above.......

Cheers623

DVC

I appreciate the offers for the Dawson :D , but I had to trade a damn fine Les Baer and a beloved Winchester shotgun to get it.

I'll probably play around with the idea of getting in to Open when I get out of school next December. Till then I've been trying not to think about that trubor a guy let me shoot a couple months ago. I'm not going to compete this month, just get that holster and practice, practice, practice. I've also been saving up for some Grams follower kits from Brazos Custom(same area code as me).