Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Rimfire Semi?

steveyacht

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know anything about an AMT Lightning? I was told there was a copyright law enfringement back in the 80's w/ Ruger. It looks to be an exact copy of the 22/45 or MK series. My buddy has one and was telling me they were the same or better b/c it's all stainless steel. Anyone know?

I have handled - to the extent of competely detail stripping the gun - and shot an AMT Lightning. Your friend is right that this is a copy in stainless of the MK II Ruger. However, at least in the example I fired, the quality of execution was not nearly as good - there were just way too many sharp edges all over this gun - and the reliability rate was not particularly impressive, as well.

Anyway, I don't see the whole "it's a stainless steel Ruger copy" as being a great selling point. If you want a stainless Ruger, just buy a stainless Ruger.

Among the recommended pistols, which one has the largest magazine capacity?

The Rugers and Buckmarks both hold 10 rounds.

AA conversions are all ten rounds (the manufacturer is in California, need I say more?).

I had a MKII for several years and loved it. I've got a Mosquito on my christmas list. I'll let everybody know how it does later this month. I like the idea of practicing with a gun that has sights that rock when it cycles.

Both the Ruger and Browning are great choices but in the current ecconomy don't rule out finding a used High Standard or S&W 41 at a bargain price. I found a Supermatic recently for $450 that beats the pants off of anyRuger I have ever shot.

Good Shooting!

Ken

I like Hi-Standards too - really neat 22's IMO - but be careful - They are extremely magazine picky in lot of cases. Best by far are the originals -but hard to find and expensive.

Bill

Sean, borrow a Ruger, take it apart, clean it and put it back together. You will forever cherish the ease and simplicity of the Buckmark :surprise:

I honestly don't know if the firing pin comes out, I hose the bolt down with solvent, soak a minute, scrub with a toothbrush, hose off with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, oil and re-install when I do get around to cleaning mine.

I have one they are a pain in A$$ too reassemble, taking it apart is easy.

I have a Rugger 22/45 MIII. It shoots well. My only complaint is that it is a real b!+ch to break down for cleaning. Field stripping of this pistol is more complicated than detail stripping of every other handgun I own. I made a mistake of detail stripping it once. I eventually got it back together with a lot of help from the internet and trial and error. My solution is to stop cleaning it. I run a bore-snake through it once in a while and lube it up a bit.

I had the same experience with this pistol. I bought it as a low cost trainer for my M&P, not that it feels anywhere the same. It was cheap and had a lot of information available which came in handy because it stovepiped every other shot right out of the box. I did a little google'ing and found the problem was the stock extractor. I ordered the EDM version ($11) and it's been great every since, even with the cheapest ammo I can find.

Might be a little burr or something from manufacturing, if you don't want to look at it call them and have them send you a postage tag for it, send it back and have them fix it. If you get it running there isn't a better 22 made IMO.

I took the topend apart and it was dirty, you were right! now I need to test fire it again and see if it works if not will take your advice, and send it to them. I couldn't figure out how to get the firing pin out, i figured it didn't come out so I cleaned what I could. That long pin with the spring attached to the buffer is an sob to get back together. finally got it back in. what an undertaking though

thanks

I have a couple of models where if you take out the firing pin/slide assembly, you need other new pins to reassemble, I ususally soak it to the max with solvent, and use compressed air to blow all of the solvent & fouling out.

It works real well for me.

The original AMT in 22 mag did not have a good track record but that was the early days of 22 mag's. Ruger makes SS and aftermarket parts are available to make the even better. I have never heard of aftermarket anything for the AMT including magazines.

I have a buckmark and I keep getting light strikes, and wont ignite the round, it happens pretty frequently. Has anyone had this problem and knows an easy fix before I have to call Browining?

I have experienced this problem with one box of .22LR ammo (I think it was Federal but I truly don't remember). By recommendation of other forum member (another forum) I just bought a new box of ammo and was able to shoot without malfunctions. Sometimes the quality control on .22LR ammo is not as stringent as other calibers and they let a batch with too little primer on the rim slip by; this is specially true with "bulk" ammo.

Ruger makes SS and aftermarket parts are available to make the even better. I have never heard of aftermarket anything for the AMT including magazines.

Actually, since the AMT Lightning was just a straight copy of the Ruger MK II Standard Model, I don't see any reason that Ruger parts wouldn't fit. In any event, that's a non-issue since (1) who would want a rougher, inferior copy when you could have the original, (2) the last time I called the Gun Parts Corporation, they had any original AMT Lightning part I asked for - including the original magazines with AMT logo on the baseplate, and a set of the original wooden grips (which looked like they were carved from only the finest apple crates). If you really want original AMT Lightning parts, they're not hard to find. But again, why bother?

I have a buckmark and I keep getting light strikes, and wont ignite the round, it happens pretty frequently. Has anyone had this problem and knows an easy fix before I have to call Browining?

I have experienced this problem with one box of .22LR ammo (I think it was Federal but I truly don't remember). By recommendation of other forum member (another forum) I just bought a new box of ammo and was able to shoot without malfunctions. Sometimes the quality control on .22LR ammo is not as stringent as other calibers and they let a batch with too little primer on the rim slip by; this is specially true with "bulk" ammo.

Your right it was value pack of remington, I have heard that to about .22 being ammo finicky. Well I have field stripped it and cleaned it, so now I need to take a number of different bullets to the range and see what works best. I will try the remingtion first, since I just cleaned and I want to see if that was the initial problem, if not I will go with the different ammo, and if that doesn't work off to browning.

Thanks for the reply

sean

Has anyone tried the S&W 22A?

I have the 22A with the 5" bull barrel and the laminate wood target grips. It's been very reliable and very accurate....great value. That said, I just bought my father a Smith M41 (1972 vintage) 5 1/2" bull barrel and was so impressed, I bought myself one (1959 vintage). I haven't had a chance to shoot mine a lot, but Dad's gave me a 1/2" group at 25yds with CCI Standard Velocity...pretty impressive. They're amazingly well made and you can put a brand new barrel on one made in the 50s and they have unbelievable triggers! R,

Has anyone tried the S&W 22A?

I borrowed one and put about 500 rds through it with about 30 FTF/FTEs. The little square hook that keeps the end attached broke off and I found it on the ground while cleaning up my brass. I don't believe that it was a manufacturing defect, but rather the owner opening it too far while field striping it. I called S&W and even though I wasn't the owner (the original owner died years ago) and they were under no obligation to repair it under warranty, they without any hesitation repaired it. They even paid for overnight shipping both ways.

Besides their excellent customer service the 22A was a little tack driver, even with the cheap bulk ammo.

I say sell the Ruger and use that money along with the money not spent on the .22 to buy a bunch of 9mm components or ammo. Buying another gun to save money on ammo is like buying a new $30,000 car to save money on gas. The numbers will never add up.

Am I missing something, or is my arithmatic addled? As I figure it, if you shoot 300 rounds a weeek, you'll save over three thousand bucks if you shoot .22 instead of 9mm. 100 rounds a week, a thousand bucks saved. If you reload, of course, it's not as dramatic, but you'll still save plenty.

UPS guy delivered my STI/Marvel 22 conversion kit today. Slid it on my Kimber and ran over to range. I think temp was about 20 and windy so I didn't stay long. Ran 100 rounds through it using all 5 mags I bought - not a hitch. Seems like a nice unit. Pretty impressed with it so far. Like using my 1911 platform and shooting 22's. Next will try it on one of my 2011's (after I get couple of mags)

Bill

Bill,

Would you start a new thread and give a detailed report (with pictures if you can) when you've shot it more and have some time? I'm interested in the STI 22 conversion. I had a Marvel Unit 2 for awhile and it was OK. I like the design of the STI (and AA and Marvel Unit one) better than the Unit 2. I have a Kadet kit for my CZ Compact and it's very accurate but I'll be selling it as I prefer shooting 1911's.

WyoBob

I have owned a Ruger Mark II KMK512 stainless steel with a 6 & 7/8 inch bull barrel and a Leupold scope for 22 years.

The wife loves to shoot it. I also have a Walther P22 with the 3.4 inch barrel that I usually shoot. It is much lighter. Both are more accurate than we are.

Once you get the hang of assembly, the Ruger is no problem. I clean and lube all my pistols after each trip to the range.

I highly reccommend either of these pistols for fun shooting. :D

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

I guess I'm surprised that the S&W mod 41 hasn't been mentioned more. It is a beautiful handgun and although it can be a bit pricey, if you shop around you can find a good used one. I love mine.

But, I also have a Ruger MK1 I picked up at a gun show for $115 a couple of years ago. I have enjoyed shooting that .22 as much as any I have ever owned.

Both of the guns are tack-drivers but for the bucks, the Ruger is, for me, the better gun overall.....except for that disassembly thing. It's a real dog. :roflol:

fwiw

dj

Best "Bang for the Buck" would have to be either the Ruger MKII/MKII or the Browning Buckmark...whichever one "Fits" you best..."Honorable Mention" to the S&W Model 41...IF you can AFFORD them, and their magazines...

FWIW, I've seen SEVERAL of the old High Standard pistols show up at the local "Steel Match"...while they are BEAUTIFULLY MADE and phenomenally ACCURATE with ammo that they "Like", I have yet to see one go a whole Match without a MALFUNCTION of some sort...Same goes for the SIG "Trailside" and the Walther P-22, or whatever it is called...the reliability has been UNDERwhelming, at least to a "Casual Observer"--Me!

HTH....mikey357

• 2 weeks later...