Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Rimfire Semi?

steveyacht

I have a Ruger MKII slb side with Holo sight for misc target shooting and practicing. I am going to recommend a rimfire semi for my friend so that she may get some more practice at lower costs. She currently shoots a Sig 2022 in 9mm as well as a Ruger SR9. We are going to be more involved in steel shooting as well as more USPSA type shooting. What would you suggest she consider?

Thanks!!!

Steve

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ what the gunwriter said.

For a while there, I was buying a different .22 pistols every couple of months, trying to find a good plinker / target gun. Buying a Ruger 22/45 bull bbl in the early 90's ended that search. It's been a great shooter over the years for me...

Edited by 2MoreChains

+1 on the Buckmark. I bought a TAC SOL flutted aluminum barrel with a removable comp. Guns shoots really well . Has a rail for any red dot. I did have to order a higher FO from TAC Sol for the iron sights to work with the new barrel.

I have a Rugger 22/45 MIII. It shoots well. My only complaint is that it is a real b!+ch to break down for cleaning. Field stripping of this pistol is more complicated than detail stripping of every other handgun I own. I made a mistake of detail stripping it once. I eventually got it back together with a lot of help from the internet and trial and error. My solution is to stop cleaning it. I run a bore-snake through it once in a while and lube it up a bit.

I like the Ruger notwithstanding Bill Ruger's decision to limit the gun to 10 rounds. I have an older 22/45 with the 5" bull barrel with 1000's of rounds through it that I use to refine my trigger control shooting gas bottles at 50 yards just before a match. And I have a MKII Target with a scope for gophers that I will be converting it to an open gun practice tool soon because my local dealer can not seem to be able to get a barrel for the 22/45 from Tactical Solutions. They may be good but a 60 day backorder is not acceptable.

Another vote for the 22/45. Mine is the Mark II with the 5" bull bbl. Great shooter, though I, too, dont mess with detail stripping it.

If you have a std size Glock, 1911/2011, or Beretta already, there are a number of good .22 top ends available. A search will pull up lots of threads.

Edited by kevin c

I say sell the Ruger and use that money along with the money not spent on the .22 to buy a bunch of 9mm components or ammo. Buying another gun to save money on ammo is like buying a new $30,000 car to save money on gas. The numbers will never add up. Now if you want a .22 because you want a .22 I'd say for every one who favors the Ruger you can find someone who favors the Browning. But you'll have to look around quite a bit for someone who likes a third option for timed action events.

UPS guy delivered my STI/Marvel 22 conversion kit today. Slid it on my Kimber and ran over to range. I think temp was about 20 and windy so I didn't stay long. Ran 100 rounds through it using all 5 mags I bought - not a hitch. Seems like a nice unit. Pretty impressed with it so far. Like using my 1911 platform and shooting 22's. Next will try it on one of my 2011's (after I get couple of mags)

Bill

Sean, make sure the firing pin is crud free and dry or keep it really wet with oil, one of the two. The firing pin channel gets gunky pretty quick on a 22. I haven't had any problems with mine at all, and it has an easy 80K on it. I add a bunch of oil to mine before each time I shoot it, LOTS of oil, and clean it every 10-15K rounds whether it needs it or not. With enough oil the fouling stays soft and moves out of places it shouldn't be to places where it doesn't matter much. Just don't wear a good shirt using this method LOL.

Sean, make sure the firing pin is crud free and dry or keep it really wet with oil, one of the two. The firing pin channel gets gunky pretty quick on a 22. I haven't had any problems with mine at all, and it has an easy 80K on it. I add a bunch of oil to mine before each time I shoot it, LOTS of oil, and clean it every 10-15K rounds whether it needs it or not. With enough oil the fouling stays soft and moves out of places it shouldn't be to places where it doesn't matter much. Just don't wear a good shirt using this method LOL.

I bought the gun oiled a little and took it to the range, and it was bang, bang, click etc. just frustrating after just buying it. It wasn't dirty so crud was out of the question being new and all

thanks

Might be a little burr or something from manufacturing, if you don't want to look at it call them and have them send you a postage tag for it, send it back and have them fix it. If you get it running there isn't a better 22 made IMO.

Might be a little burr or something from manufacturing, if you don't want to look at it call them and have them send you a postage tag for it, send it back and have them fix it. If you get it running there isn't a better 22 made IMO.

I took the topend apart and it was dirty, you were right! now I need to test fire it again and see if it works if not will take your advice, and send it to them. I couldn't figure out how to get the firing pin out, i figured it didn't come out so I cleaned what I could. That long pin with the spring attached to the buffer is an sob to get back together. finally got it back in. what an undertaking though

thanks

+1 on having her get a Ruger 22/45 if current guns don't allow a kit for .22 ammo. I as others have stated don't break it down; I just the barrel every several hundred rounds and lube it. The polymer frame is easy and maintenance free and it's surprisingly accurate with a 4" barrel. I bought it because it's close to the same weight as my USP 40, and the grip angle is the same. Not to mention you can't beat the price if you get a blued one. (I had my eye on a Buckmark but the extra $ ($70 or so) broke me into getting the 22/45). Not to mention it looks good!

Sean, borrow a Ruger, take it apart, clean it and put it back together. You will forever cherish the ease and simplicity of the Buckmark :surprise:

I honestly don't know if the firing pin comes out, I hose the bolt down with solvent, soak a minute, scrub with a toothbrush, hose off with non-chlorinated brake cleaner, oil and re-install when I do get around to cleaning mine.

Both the Ruger and Browning are great choices but in the current ecconomy don't rule out finding a used High Standard or S&W 41 at a bargain price. I found a Supermatic recently for $450 that beats the pants off of anyRuger I have ever shot.

Good Shooting!

Ken

Anyone know anything about an AMT Lightning? I was told there was a copyright law enfringement back in the 80's w/ Ruger. It looks to be an exact copy of the 22/45 or MK series. My buddy has one and was telling me they were the same or better b/c it's all stainless steel. Anyone know?