Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practicing with 22lr conversion kit ?

Hello all,

I am waiting on my Kimber Gold Trophy Match II(45ACP). I also ordered a 22lr conversion kit for it.

Is it a good idea to practice with a different caliber??

I am thinking that the shot experience is totally different.

Are any of you doing this??

Thanks

Pete

Take a look at some of the shooters that come from Japan...they only shoot air-soft until they come here (USA). They kick some tush in the matches. It must be teaching them hand eye coordination, trigger control, and transitions.

I would think a .22 would be even better than air-soft.

Buddy

I love my 22 conversion and shoot it regularly. One thing that I do both before and after shooting the conversion is shoot at least 25 fp loads. The experience is definately different but like said it is time behind the trigger.

i've got a Kimber 22 1911 and a couple of Marvel top ends..i used them several times this year a week before a match and they seemed to help me quit a bit..would run 1000 to 1500...but i would always finish up shooting atleast 25 to 30 45's to get back to feeling the real recoil...

22 conversion lets you work on things until it's automatic. It helps especially if you have exactly the same sights and use the same holster and grip tape etc.

I built an airsoft open gun and have an airsoft glock 17. Both have same sights and everything as the real deal.

I use a cerner glock conversion with Heinie .105" x .225 and slant pro rear same as my real glock. Also with enough mags to do steel competition on occasion. I also use a marvel conversion with compensator that fits on my STI open gun thus same cmore etc ( it shoots slightly high but not bad ... ie about same zero out to 25 yards).

It works right into the plan but has limitations so it augments your live fire with your real ammo and does not replace it. I love to shoot so getting it out of my system and trying to end on a high note can easily cost me 600 rounds in a standard live fire practice day. Plus my son shoots with me so with conversion it let's you have a plan that includes a smörgåsbord of cheap 22lr fun.

Dry fire is work and the reward is shooting A's and calling shots with airsoft. That way you can shoot every day... ie strong and weak hand... anything.

22 conversion let's me drill till I can quit on a high note. That's very hard for me as I'm not a fast learner and trying to unlearn is very hard for me. Bad habits. ugh At end for me I try to do recoil drills with real ammo.

22 conversion turns a 300 dollars worth of ammo practice into a very gratifying shoot to you drop work out. Airsoft let's you call shots, index run and gun every day if you want.

Both will hurt your shooting if that's all you do but with 22lr and or airsoft there are a lot good things to be learned.

Most of this sport has little to do with shooting... The .22 is a great way to practice movement drills

Exactly. Unless you are working specifically on recoil control, then a .22 will teach you everything else, and cheaply. I've made real progress in footwork by testing various strategies with a .22. It keeps you honest, can reach 25 yards and still be accurate, and works the timer. I also use airsoft for similar drills in the basement, but the horrible accuracy makes it second-best.

H.

Well The Kimber and the 22kit came in today. I was only able to fire 100 rounds with the 45. and did not switch to the 22. I am really pleased with this gun. It is noticably better than my Berretta 92f. The accuracy improvement is significant..

I have been home for an hour and feel like i need to go back t o the range . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Edited by Titanium Eagle

I shoot an advantage arms .22 conversion on my glock 34. You can't beat it for getting lots of trigger time and not have to spend alot on ammo. That low cost enables me practice at the range a couple of times per week.

The thing I find it most useful for is practicing point shooting, where I'm working at around 25' and want to drill on rapid target transitions. I also find it useful for practicing strong hand / weak hand drills. It helps me work out problems and try different things.

I should add that after practicing with my .22 conversion, I always finish with my real gun.

Oh heck yes, I forgot about that. Strong hand/weak hand shooting, I always feel like I'm wasting ammo practicing it. (I know I'm not, but it just feels that way.) The low cost of .22 means it doesn't hurt as much to goofily throw rounds downrange.

H.

Because of the weight of the full-size 1911 slide, even though it's made mostly of aluminum, the Kimber .22s won't run with any sort of Hyper Velocity ammo, they require Standard/High Velocity stuff. I realize that sounds counter-intuitive, you'd expect "Hyper Velocity" rounds to generate more recoil to operate the action. But in reality, the way they get the extra velocity in .22 LR ammo is to drop bullet weight - typically from 40 to 31 grains - so Hyper Velocity ammo actually generates less recoil energy than Standard/High Velocity. Even then, every .22 auto pistol is a law unto itself as to the ammo with which it will and won't work.

Among inexpensive ammo types in the Kimber .22s I've fired, I've had great luck with CCI Mini-Mags. YMMV. ;)

I use my 22 conversion with a Wilson lower. I actually have found a bit of the opposite that the higher velocity/higher priced stuff works better than the Mini-Mags. So, I guess that proves your point about each being a law unto itself.

I just got my AA conversion for my Glock, and took it to Bullseye pistol practice to try it out. It worked great, but I could barely hit the paper with the one-handed Bullseye style. (I do fine at Bullseye with my Model 41 target pistol). I gave it to friend and he centered a 2-3" group with it. I obviously have trigger control issues with the Glock trigger even though I have been shooting one for >10 years. So I can already see this thing might be useful as a practice tool.