Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38SC brass interchangibility?

Fullauto_Shooter

• 2 weeks later...

While that's true, what OPENB says (cause .38 Super and .40 basically have the same outside rim dimension), I find it far easier and faster to separate by grabbing a handful and sorting by headstamp... ;) Just FWIW...

I use a .223 shell plate to load my .38 Supercomp. If I miss a palin Super, this catches it. It also cathes some of the Armscore and Lapua that have a bit of a rim, or a thicker base. My STI runs well on Armscore, TJ, Starline and Lapua if it passes the shellplate test. My Para Open runs anything, I can even mix Super Comp and Super!

I do have a batch of Armscor that seems a bit weaker, two loadings and splits!

Jim

This site will give you a better understanding of the 38 super.

http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

My measurements pretty much match theirs for several kinds of brass, so... Good stuff there. Its interesting to note, though, that in order to take advantage of the extra available rim on the TJ case, you may need to re-tune the extractor (as it may be bottoming out on the rim)...

I use a .223 shell plate to load my .38 Supercomp. If I miss a palin Super, this catches it. It also cathes some of the Armscore and Lapua that have a bit of a rim, or a thicker base.

The .223 and 38 SC shellplate for the 1050 is the same. Mine seems to have no issues with any of the brass I load (AP, Lapua, Hornady TJ, Starline SC.)

Understood. However there is a .38 Super shell plate and that may work with supercomp, but it won't do a 'final sort' by rejecting the non-comp cases. That is why I differentiated by stating the .223 shell plate.

Jim

I run 38 SC from Starline, and have found that my shellplate (223/38SC in Dillon 1050) stops 38 Super and even the odd 9mm that tends to "sneak in" when I get tired of picking empties, wading through scores of those cursed Parabellum cases..

Also, when I used the ordinary 38 Super shell plate, every now and then a 38 SC would be bent halfway out of the plate. Not good. My old trusted single stacl 38 runs 100% with SC, so no need for 38 Super any more.

Regards,

Siphon

I recently purchased a quantity of .38SC brass that has several other types of brass mixed in. Can I reload and use these other types of brass along with the .38SC or can I expect this to cause reliability issues? Other headstamps include:

.38 TJ

.38 Super Rimless

9mm SuperComp

Thanks

Super comp, TJ, and RL are basically the same base...measures .385 or so. 38 super measures .400, or so. The difference is if your gun is set up for super, you DON"T want the others in the mix. If you are set up for SuperComp, then TJ, or RL will function with your extractor. You will have to change the load for the TJ, and RL about .2.

If there is ever a question, just measure the base of the brass.