Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Sight Black"

t0066jh

Well... it could also be a smoker that used calcium carbide and water (what the miners used to use in their lights)... I don't like the paint (to shiny). I've never bothered shooting pistol, but I use this all time shooting highpower and long range.

You can see what I'm talking about at http://www.ray-vin.com/gunsight/smoker.htm

Frank

Sight black is used to keep the glare off your sights. It works better than any dark finish and helps where the shiny spots are on the sights. It's favored mostly by the old-school crowd..which I refuse to admit I'm old enough to be in! :roflol:

Edited by BlackSabbath

Thanks for the responses folks, but this is not what I'm looking for.

Please refer to page 138. Taken in context, it's some way of looking at your targets through your sights in the get ready mode before the command shooter ready, stand by......buzzer.

Anyone else shed some light on this........referencing page 138, it's not changing the appearance of your front or rear sight using paint or whatever.

Thanks

Joe

actually it is...

Brian talks about it as part of the routine during your load and make ready..

when in the box..and given the LAMR command. many shooters would sight black the sights, take a sight picture, load, top off, and holster.

actually it is...

Brian talks about it as part of the routine during your load and make ready..

when in the box..and given the LAMR command. many shooters would sight black the sights, take a sight picture, load, top off, and holster.

Guess i'm showing myself to be a true Newbie.

Thanks

Many shooters have a certain "routine" they like to follow when making ready. It can help remind a shooter of things that have possibly gone wrong in the past, thereby allowing them to make certain they do not make the same mistake twice. It can even be taken a little too far, maybe even include some stuff that at times may seem unnecessary, but if that routine is followed every single time without fail there is very little that can go wrong, which is within the shooters control.

It also becomes a something of a calming the nerves routine.

Many shooters have a certain "routine" they like to follow when making ready. It can help remind a shooter of things that have possibly gone wrong in the past, thereby allowing them to make certain they do not make the same mistake twice. It can even be taken a little too far, maybe even include some stuff that at times may seem unnecessary, but if that routine is followed every single time without fail there is very little that can go wrong, which is within the shooters control.

It also becomes a something of a calming the nerves routine.

Just like a pre shot routine for free throws in basketball, or practice swings in golf. I just couldn't imagine myself at our Tuesday night Steel match pulling out a can of sight black and spraying it on my sights after the LAMR command. Someone would pull me aside and "counsel" with me.

Oh well, guess I'm never to old to learn. It just seems like something you'd do while waiting your turn to shoot. I'll be doing it that way, but not on my Dawson fiber optic sights. In the back of my mind I still think someone is pulling my leg.

....I just couldn't imagine myself ....pulling out a can of sight black and spraying it on my sights after the LAMR command. ....

.... It just seems like something you'd do while waiting your turn to shoot. I'll be doing it that way......

Since you can't run to the safety table just before you shoot, you had to do it before shooting, at a time you were allowed to handle your gun.

Remember, some things in Brian's book need to be kept in perspective. Back when it was written, ALL speed holsters could touch the front sight, and all front sights (no matter how well made) could be improved with Sight Black (which rubs off fairly easily).

..... In the back of my mind I still think someone is pulling my leg.

Nope.

sight%20black.jpg

....I just couldn't imagine myself ....pulling out a can of sight black and spraying it on my sights after the LAMR command. ....

.... It just seems like something you'd do while waiting your turn to shoot. I'll be doing it that way......

Since you can't run to the safety table just before you shoot, you had to do it before shooting, at a time you were allowed to handle your gun.

Remember, some things in Brian's book need to be kept in perspective. Back when it was written, ALL speed holsters could touch the front sight, and all front sights (no matter how well made) could be improved with Sight Black (which rubs off fairly easily).

..... In the back of my mind I still think someone is pulling my leg.

Nope.

sight%20black.jpg

Thanks to all for the education. Your patience with my skeptical attitude is appreciated. An old mentor once told me. You're less likely to appear stupid when you ask a question than when you make a statement.

You can spray the front and back without removing your gun from the holster. I spray it before every stage and I don't hold up the match. It takes about 3 seconds to dry and will smudge if you touch it. I don't run fiber optics, just metal sights and I've never seen a finish that's better than what's in that little bottle.

If they could make a product that wouldn't smudge as much that would be cool. It would sell, big time.

Noboby's pulling your leg, although I can understand why you would think so. :roflol:

sight black on fiber optic sights WOULD be counterproductive. For straight iron sights with no FO sight black makes for the blackest black of iron sights you can get. If you run plain iron sights try it, you'll like it!

This is something that hasn't really caught on in Open class... ;)

sight black on fiber optic sights WOULD be counterproductive. For straight iron sights with no FO sight black makes for the blackest black of iron sights you can get. If you run plain iron sights try it, you'll like it!

Well now that depends on your opinion of fiber optic front sights, some may say it would be productive to blacken your fiber optic :wacko: I still use plain post front sights having tried fiber numerous times since back in 1996. Fiber has its benefits but I am a firm believer if you have good eye sight a plain post is best. With Sight Black of course.