Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Movie maker

Bubber

I am having problems with my movie maker program. I have used it for a coupld of years but now it will not save anything I do. I did a search and found Catfish's dilema and it is problably the same thing. I have a corrupt file somewhere. Will it hurt my saved files if I try to reinstall my Windows XP operating systyem. I have tried downloading stuff but being in South Anklescratch Oklahoma Dial up is terribly slow. Oh yea and I ain't to computer saavy. kould ya tell? thanx rdd

If I remember correctly... the 'Documents and Settings' directory (My Docs, My Music, etc), is deleted and re-created when you install or re-install.

This is the default location for most files... make sure it's backed up.

The biggest pain with re-installing windows, is all your programs will need to be reinstalled as well.

But first, before doing this... I'd search hard for a fix.. try Google, etc.. or someone here may be able to help.

I would not do that if what you are trying to do is to avoid the Movie Maker download. Other than having to re-install a lot of things you already have in your computer, and perhaps losing some documents, pictures etc. you might have in folders that will be deleted and recreated during the new install, you are going to end-up having to download a huge amount of Windows update. Windows XP installation files usually are up to date to the Service Pack 2 (set of Windows updates bundle together – aka SP2). The current is Service Pack 3 which will need to be downloaded after the new install, and it is several times bigger than the Movie Maker file you are trying to avoid download.

Ask friends, extended family, co-works, for who has high speed interned to download the Movie Maker for you and put it on a CD or on those small thumb drives (small portable USB memory sticks). If you really can’t find anyone with high speed access, I would be glad to do it and mail it to you. Do not try to re-install Windows, unless you really need to do it, and you know what you are doing.

I second FLL1911's suggestion. Reloading Windows is a big hassle and honestly, that would be a last resort. Unless you do periodic back-ups or have backed up your data using Ghost, I think it would be better if you reinstall Movie Maker. If that doesn't work, there are plenty of other programs that you can use that can do the same, if not better, things than Movie Maker.

Thanks guys and gal, I got Homies downoad in only 55 minutes, I guess that Movie maker is not my porblem as it still exists..So much for me diagnosing the problem. Looks like I need to elevate it and let someone look at my computer. It is a couple maybe four years old, got an upgrade last year. When I log off it gives me a wms idle shut down that I have to end program before it will log me off. Oh well thanx for the help.. later rdd