Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Another new FN SLP Mk1

DMAC

Well I was finally able to get it out to the range today. I can only shoot from a bench at my local range (BORING!!). It seemed to group better with the 8 shot than 7 1/2 shot at 25 yards.

I also shot the Winchester reduced recoil slugs. These things were easy to shoot and recoiled like 8 shot loads. They do make a really cool whistling sound when they leave the barrel (I've never shot a slug before).

Tonight I added the Nordic +1 extension and trimmed the spring to the longest recommended length. I have to see how it cycles under rapid fire at my first 3 gun match this weekend. I also added the PMT extended bolt release and the Nordic extended bolt.

This gun really fits me well and it seems to be built very solidly. We'll see how I can perform with it on Saturday. I really need some dummy rounds to practice reloads, but I can't seem to find these in stock anywhere.

Thanks to everyone who offered me advice and comments.

I'll have to shoot my Glock 21 this weekend. I just bought a Glock 22, but the holster and magazine holders that I ordered from Blade-tech won't be here in time. The bandoleer and arm shotshell holder made by 3 Gun Gear were also on backorder.

My JP CTR-02 is about the only gun that I have really practiced with and have set up and ready to go. I really like this AR.

I've ordered some things from Cactus Tactical and Shooters Connection and I will plan to continue to support them both. The service has been great!

If I don't totally suck (well maybe even if I do), I think I would really like to get a SVI/STI .40 from one of the vendors here. Those 2011 are just so damn good lookin'- (I'm all about drinkin' the KoolAid, I guess there are worse things in life). At least I am honest that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, but I'm having fun doing it!

Edited by DMAC

DMAC

I am glad you are liking the FN. I never trimmed the spring that came with the +1 extension, seems to still work fine. Make sure and keep the factory cap and spring in your bag for shoots that do not allow the ability to have more than eight in the tube. You can just switch it back to factory for those matches. Also, when the Nordic follower comes out pick one of those up. A "must have" for this weapon. I about wore the factory plastic follower out with reloading practice.

I am assuming you already have the red piston in.

As for dummy rounds, I almost hate to admit that I wrecked a box of them in the first week I had them. After a couple of hundred reloads the brass developed burrs and started causing problems. I now just use regular ammo. NOTE: I do not advise this because it is dangerous. Just don't let any rounds get racked into the chamber, and always keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction.

As for the new handgun - do a search on this forum and you will get hours of reading material on all of the great gunsmiths at your disposal. I had Benny Hill build me a 6" Fat Free and really couldn't be happier. Do some looking around, even in the Classified section. Some very good deals can be had.

Brian Payne

Edited by Brian Payne

Well I shot the FN SLP Saturday at my first ever 3 gun match and it functioned flawlessly with Remington Game Loads 1 oz. 7 1/2 shot. This gun fits me very well. It was my only gun that had no issues throughout the match ( I didn't have the adjustable gas block on the JP set properly-LESSON LEARNED, and I don't know why my glock 21 was having FTE and FTF with factory ammo, I think it could be my new mags?). I am very happy with my shotgun purchase. Now I just need to practice, practice, practice!

Given the durability and reliability of this platform, I wonder if anyone is thinking about or has made and open gun out of the FN SLP Mk1?

Edited by DMAC

Hey DMAC, Which three gun match did you go to this weekend. I know they were having one at Walnut Grove, near Forest City, but I didn't know of any others over your way. I couldn't have gone this weekend as my son had a soccer tournament, but it is nice to know for future reference. By the way he is a goal keeper and they played the defending national champions to a 0-0 tie. I know that is total thread drift, but we are proud of him and had to stick that in there.

Well I shot the FN SLP Saturday at my first ever 3 gun match and it functioned flawlessly with Remington Game Loads 1 oz. 7 1/2 shot. This gun fits me very well. It was my only gun that had no issues throughout the match ( I didn't have the adjustable gas block on the JP set properly-LESSON LEARNED, and I don't know why my glock 21 was having FTE and FTF with factory ammo, I think it could be my new mags?). I am very happy with my shotgun purchase. Now I just need to practice, practice, practice!

Given the durability and reliability of this platform, I wonder if anyone is thinking about or has made and open gun out of the FN SLP Mk1?

Completely disassemble your slide and clean out any carbon in there and take a really good look at your extractor. Also make sure your recoil spring is up to the task.

Here's some updated pics of my 3gun shotgun. (FN SLP Mk1)

I've added a Nordic Components extended bolt handle and had Sam Hatfield (www.hatfieldsgunsmithing.com) install my Nordic Components large button bolt release. He also texturized my stock and fore-end in the aggressive texture. He's going to be making me a new front sight since mine is too low for slugs. With the rear sight bottomed out it'll hit 5-7" too high at 50yds using Federal reduced power Truball 1oz slugs. If it's possible he might be shortening the stock by 3/4"-1" also. I also have the Nordic +1 extension but only use it if I have to. I use the Browning Gold Sporting Clays light piston which is red internally and marked for 1-1/8oz or lighter loads.

I placed 3rd overall at the Black Creek 3gun match on Saturday (three stage match). I placed 2nd on both of the stages that involved the shotgun! :D I'm shooting and loading this thing so much better/faster than I did using my old Benelli M1.

3gunguns14.jpg

3gunguns24.jpg

3gunguns21.jpg

3gunguns17.jpg

3gunguns20.jpg

gotM4: 1) What choke tubes are you using? 2) got a pic with the +1 extension yo can post? 3) does the browning light piston offer an advantage over the light piston that comes with the guns?

Been running a SX2 for about a year and a half now, picked up a NIB FN SLP last night for a spare.

• 2 weeks later...