Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock accuracy ?

Springfield Champion

I ususally try and bench test all of my handguns soon after purchasing them- just to get a baseline. I think that the worst average group I've had out of any of my Glocks (15 or so) has been in the 3" range at 25yds. The best was my first G26- that thing could print less than 1.5" all day long. Although with the short sight, there were a lot of called "flyers".

Edited by VegasOPM

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my, I think I know why my G17 is a bit on the inaccurate side. :unsure: I did something really, really stupid when the gun was new...and I forgot about it.

Did you take off the cheap plastic sights and forget to replace them? :D

Edited by dirty whiteboy

Problem identified: "not solved" Thank goodness, it was me, and I can practice. I finally had a chance to put it on some sandbags and group it and it was dead on and the group was much better but I didn't measure it yet. Hunting season has me strung out for time.When I shoot it off hand I pull the rounds left.If glocks came with good triggers they truely would be Perfection. :D

The trigger is easily fixed. I posted a group on Glock Talk several years ago that I shot at a local indoor range with one of my G34s. That gun put 5 shots into a group at 20 yds that could be covered by a nickle. Heck I even had several witnesses. Load was 3.0 gr of Titegroup with a 147 grain plated bullet. OAL was 1.135". Seems like it was a West Coast bullet.

Here is a group shot at 25 yds from one of my G35s. I was working up a load with a new powder. I would consider this group to be just average.

post-1058-1227869801_thumb.jpg

The trigger is easily fixed. I posted a group on Glock Talk several years ago that I shot at a local indoor range with one of my G34s. That gun put 5 shots into a group at 20 yds that could be covered by a nickle. Heck I even had several witnesses. Load was 3.0 gr of Titegroup with a 147 grain plated bullet. OAL was 1.135". Seems like it was a West Coast bullet.

Here is a group shot at 25 yds from one of my G35s. I was working up a load with a new powder. I would consider this group to be just average.

Wow those are great groups. I have a couple of S&J custom glock 17s and both have this 1 round flyer thing going on.

Do you have problems with that?

Thanks

Wow those are great groups. I have a couple of S&J custom glock 17s and both have this 1 round flyer thing going on.

Thanks

Is it the first round fired in the group?

Thanks

Is it the first round fired in the group?

Most of the time but not always. It doesn't matter if its factory or reloads .

Thanks

Please tell me you got these groups from a ransom rest!

I've said it before and I've said it again- for the action shooting I/we do (IDPA/USPSA) the GUN (and I shoot Glocks) is never the problem or limiting factor- it's always me. :(

I recently traded a G17 that shot well under an inch at 25 yards with me on the handle resting on my range bag with poor lighting at the indoor range, the saddest part is that it was with UMC yellow box 115 FMJ ammo. My super duper production load with a 124 zero fmj and Clays shot right at an inch. For it to do that with me shooting it the gun had to be insanely accurate. Where ever the sight lifted from was EXACTLY where the bullet hole was, it you were really watching it was insane how accurately you could call shots with it. I couldn't shoot it worth a hoot for competition so after a few years of sitting on it and never shooting it I let it go. I only have one Glock left, a G22 I keep as a house gun, and it will shoot 2.5" at 25 yards with ammo it likes, 3" or so with most good ammo.

Ransom Rests are awesome, but they don't work well with Glocks. Tightening down the frame inserts to the point they'll actually hold the gun securely will compress the frame so much that you can't get a magazine into and out of the gun. Ask me how I know. :lol:

Too funny! I guess I'm still impressed by small groups at that distance. I often find I shoot better freestyle slow fire than from the bag. No nickle sized groups from me though!

BTW, if you want an accuracy load in 9mm, I highly recommend the Hornady 115-grain XTP. Ridiculously accurate in just about everything I've put it through.

I've been shooting a super-cheap accurate load in 9x19 for a couple loads. Please don't laugh: That stinky Russian "Monarch" stuff, steel cased. You don't really make friends at indoor ranges (the smell..) but I regularly shot it at 50yards and I have hit 12" steel at 100 yards, out of a stock G34 barrel. Only recently switched to hand rolled 9's, because factory is just to pricey.

• 2 weeks later...

Using only cheap o wolf and cci as that is what I can afford. A 35 came in with 1.75" and A 22 and 23 were pretty much the same with 3". I may try some wwb to see if the groups get any better. I think I had just as well shoot the 23 since it "seems" to be as accurate as the 22.

Edited by Springfield Champion

• 7 months later...
I figured since I didn't even know where the gun was zeroed, all I could do was make sure I had surprise break for each shot, and the bullet would find the target.

be

I needs me some of them bullets..

Some of that "surprise break" would go a long way too.

For a combat style handgun, Glocks are amazingly accurate. The biggest limiting factor is the shooter...shooting the Glock is not conducive to tight groups for most shooters and is definitely an acquired skill. Good sights are a must and a good trigger is a tremendous help. My six Glocks all group very well with good loads and although I believe it is simply the advantage of a longer sight radius, I do best with the G-34 and G-35. Either of these is capable of 10-shots in a inch and a half @ 25 yards benched on a good day. As a side note, I can't speak for others but it seems to me just "learning" to shoot benched is an acquired skill all in itself. I know if I do it on a regular basis, the groups stay consistent but after a little layoff, the "range rust" becomes "range corrosion" and I know it ain't the guns.

No offense intended - and I mean that sincerely - to anyone who has ever made this statement, but I've never understood the gripe about the Glock trigger being "hard to shoot". To my mind, the Glock's trigger action is one of its major charms.

That is a hard sell, even for me, Duane. :)

Just the "two-stage'ness" is enough to throw most off, until they get used to it. (It did me, when I first got into this stuff.)

I am running with a pretty stock trigger on mine right now (have been for over a year or two). And, to be honest...it could use some cleaning up. Every time I see a tough distance shot, I think to myself that I should have went ahead and gave this gun a trigger job.

No offense intended - and I mean that sincerely - to anyone who has ever made this statement, but I've never understood the gripe about the Glock trigger being "hard to shoot". To my mind, the Glock's trigger action is one of its major charms.

Glocks comprise the huge majority of my shooting nowadays but, that wasn't always the case. The "difference" feels entirely normal now as I've come to understand & become accustomed to them. It would be fair to say, I've even come to like them. That said, they're so radically different from the nice S/A style pull of a revolver or 1911 it makes for a significant transition for a lot of folks, myself included. My first outing with a Glock left me, well...embarassed.

I'm not trying to sell anyone, I just really like this trigger action. You take up the slack til you hit the link - which is very definite. Then you have a short and (potentially) light trigger stroke, after which the reset distance is short, and the reset is, likewise, very distinct. What's not to like? The Glock is excellent for trigger prepping. At the same time, if you want to treat it like a revolver and just go for smooth back-and-forth trigger pulls without trigger prepping, it's also great for that - it's just a revolver with really short, light trigger pulls. Again, what's not to like?

I've done enough practice at things like, say, hitting a mini-popper at 50 feet from the draw to know that I can do it easily with a Glock. At a class recently I had to shoot at a humanoid target at 50 yards. Of the six rounds fired, five went into the highest scoring area "bottle" with one called flier just outside. And that was with my own handloads, which are admittedly not the most accurate ammo in the world. There's really no shot I'm scared of with a slicked-up Glock trigger action.

Maybe the fact that I like it so much is one reason this action works for me. If someone thinks it's going to be a handicap, it will be. If you see it an advantage, it will be. I've never understood the guys bitching about how "hard" a Glock 17 is to shoot. My attitude has always been, "Man, if you can't shoot a Glock 9mm, you might as well hang it up."

I've done enough practice at things like, say, hitting a mini-popper at 50 feet from the draw to know that I can do it easily with a Glock.

I'll shoot plates at that distance...on the move.

I've used to practice the Bianchi plate rack (6 for 6) at twice that distance.

I've run fist-sized Bill Drills in 1.55s with Major ammo.

I've nailed draws to the Alpha at 18y in sub 0.85s.

Poppers hits at 140y...

I still can't say: "the Glock's trigger action is one of its major charms."

I think it's pretty decent, especially if cleaned up. And, I think I get what you are saying... It's not as bad as some make it out to be. It is different. The shooter just needs to learn to shoot it well...like any platform.

Well, maybe eventually you'll get to the point it's not holding you back. ;)

Seriously, I think it's just a personality thing. For me, just on a basic, mental level, this trigger action seems....logical. Some other trigger actions, like for instance the Para LDA, also on a basic, psychological level, for me just don't seem to make that much sense. For someone with a different personality, you might reverse that. To Dave Sevigny, the Glock trigger action makes sense, he sees it as a real advantage. To Todd Jarrett, the Para LDA trigger action makes sense, he sees it as a real advantage. And they can both run what makes sense to them very, very well. There is no right or wrong here, just....different.