Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro

ebg3

I purchased an M&P Pro about a month ago after a long wait trying to find one, and after shooting it twice (about 250 rds) I practically broke down in tears. I shot 3 different types of ammo: 115gr plinking rds, 124gr HP defensive rds, and some frangible stuff I had. Results were the same: numerous FTF and several FTE's..... I took down the pistol, gave it a thorough cleaning, and the results were the same. A friend recommeded this forum and after reading this thread, I ordered the 13lb spring and guide rod from Speed Shooter Specialties. I installed it yesterday, shot 250+ rds and I almost broke down again.... with tears of joy!! Not 1 problem at all!!! Shot some of my best groups ever at 10-15 yds too.... I will reserve ultimate judgment until a put a few more rounds through the gun, but so far things are looking up!!! Thanks to everyone here for great advice and feedback about there own experiences...!! :)

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two Pro's. Both FTE if the gun is slightly limp wristed.

I shot the NC Sectional without an issue. I had 3 FTE's at the Chrono. LOL.

I'm thinking that it's probably the extractor. For some reason, it skips over. Looking at the SSS hardened extractor. I'm in pause.

Continuing to follow this thread.

Mine failed to extract one stage in the Carolina Cup this weekend. Rammed the next cartridge in on top of the fired case. Thinking it over bet it pulled the fired case out of the chamber then pushed it back in. I had problems with my other M&P's extractor not releasing cartridges when clearing the pistol from loaded chamber. This seems to be the same thing.

Anyway this was jammed up good and caused a DNF on that stage. Had to pry the fired case out of the chamber.

I am giving the M&P a rest, going to shoot something else for a while.

Boats

Just got back from the range...fired 250rds with no problems. So that puts me a little over 600rds with no FTE's(since getting the gun back out). The gun does throw the brass inconsistantly, but as long as it extracts and ejects I'm happy for now. I still think I'm going to try an aftermarket barrel, sometime.

EG

I got tired of FTE and called Kenny; great to work with and fast turn around, 1K rounds later and not more FTE...

Speed Shooter Specialties M&P Hardened Steel Extractor

Hardened steel replacement extractor for the M&P 9 designed to eliminate failure to extract problems. CNC machined from tool steel and heat treated it also features improved geometry to provide positive extraction. Natural silver color, not legal for Production Division at this time. May require fitting, gunsmith installation recommended. Will also fit the M&P 40 but will require fitting and adjustment.

Picture not yet available.

Product #: 1738

Our Price: $ 45.00

Just got back from the range...fired 250rds with no problems. So that puts me a little over 600rds with no FTE's(since getting the gun back out). The gun does throw the brass inconsistantly, but as long as it extracts and ejects I'm happy for now. I still think I'm going to try an aftermarket barrel, sometime.

EG

Shot my monthly match today and the gun ran great. Practiced thursday and ran a lot of Bill Drills with no problems. 1000 trouble free rounds and counting. BTW, I did do a 1.79sec Bill Drill at 8 yards...not bad, I just can't seem to get my splits under .17 with this gun.

EG

EG

Shot my monthly match today and the gun ran great. Practiced thursday and ran a lot of Bill Drills with no problems. 1000 trouble free rounds and counting. BTW, I did do a 1.79sec Bill Drill at 8 yards...not bad, I just can't seem to get my splits under .17 with this gun.

EG

Dont recall if you have any trigger work done, but you might consider it; The reset can be really shortened up on them. Makes for fast splits, provided you dont outrun your sights...

Ive creeped into consistent .12s when I was shooting these full time. EThe Pros can be made much better as well.

Dan Burwell does em great.

Haven't seen it mentioned but anyone with a trigger pull scale can use one of these to check extractor tension:

Extractor Tension Gauge

I think the issues I worked out on my gun are similar to the ones discussed on this thread. The one thing I would add is to check your mag feed lips. The extracted case gets dragged across the top round in the mag on its way to its date with the ejector. A loaded round that sits up too high in the mag can contribute to FTE's, just like low tension, rough chambers, and early unlocking can.

The gun set-up I decided to resurrect was given up as cursed by many people in the last couple years. Threads:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86803

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87661

Haven't seen it mentioned but anyone with a trigger pull scale can use one of these to check extractor tension:

Extractor Tension Gauge

That won't work on an M&P. I used to use the gauge to set-up 1911s all the time but the M&P doesn't hold the rim the same way a 1911 does. on a 1911 bottom of the hook (the deepest part) is against the edge of the case rim so the flat gauge can be slid in and tension checked, but the M&P the tip of the hook bottoms out in the groove above the rim on the case. so the gauge just slips in without tension. But if you have a good feel for things like that you can slip a case in there and see how well it holds (not nearly exact like the gauge).

• 4 months later...

I kind of hate this thread, or really the problem discussed in it. Perhaps it isn't a vital issue witg anyone anymore, but I thought I would just add that Speed Shooter's tooled steel extractor plus extra strength extractor spring has 100% fixed the extraction problems I was having. No FTEs after several thousand rounds of nasty range brass. Thanks Kenny.

Now die thread!

I kind of hate I felt like I had to start this thread! Hopefully it has helped a few people or more importantly, helped get the word out that there was/is a problem with these guns. Maybe the problem has been fixed at the manufacturer and others won't have problems. My gun is still running fine with my modified extractor and heavy spring. If it fails again, I'll be ordering a SSS extractor for sure. Now, someone needs to make an after market ejector with enough material so it can be tuned properly(hint hint)!

• 3 weeks later...
Shot with a lady today with a brand spanking new out of the case Pro.

Shooting factory Remington ammo, she had a fte on every stage.

I went back and looked at the record I'm keeping on my Pro and all but one of the FTE's was with 115 or 124gr ammo. With the 147s it had one FTE fairly early on, but it's gone maybe 5-600 rounds without doing anything wrong since then (fingers crossed). I'm hoping to run a couple thousand through it this winter to make sure it's ready for next year. If it bobbles again it'll go to one of the good M&P guys like Dan for a chamber polish. R,

Shot with a lady today with a brand spanking new out of the case Pro.

Shooting factory Remington ammo, she had a fte on every stage.

Was she a skilled shooter? What I am getting at is, "was she limp wristing it"? After I sent mine back to Smith to get the FTE issue fixed I have had no problems. But my wife shoots it and tah-dah, problems. Just a thought. Smith will make it right though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sort of depressed I found this thread. I traded in my garbage eating H&K USP9 that ate and shot anything for a new Pro. I was waiting to go out shooting on Sunday, but really feel I need to shoot it now to see if the damn thing works. Lots of great info to keep in mind if anything should go wrong.

I'm sort of depressed I found this thread. I traded in my garbage eating H&K USP9 that ate and shot anything for a new Pro. I was waiting to go out shooting on Sunday, but really feel I need to shoot it now to see if the damn thing works. Lots of great info to keep in mind if anything should go wrong.

I feel ya, I just sold a P2000 Lem 9 and bought a Pro. Im sure I/S&W/someone can make it run, but I'll be bummed if it isnt 100% the first time.

Has anyone noticed the extraction issues decreasing with more recently produced guns ?

Well, just ran a quick 100 rounds through and didn't have any problems with extraction, but it did have 4 failures to feed, 3 jams, and it wouldn't go slide lock several times. It's probably my reloads. I think they're a little weak and maybe a bit too long. Every jam had the round almost vertical in front of the chamber.

Well, just ran a quick 100 rounds through and didn't have any problems with extraction, but it did have 4 failures to feed, 3 jams, and it wouldn't go slide lock several times. It's probably my reloads. I think they're a little weak and maybe a bit too long. Every jam had the round almost vertical in front of the chamber.

Yeah, you can't run them terribly light with the Pro. You're going to need to be over 130PF most likely. I think they seem to run better with the heavy bullets for some reason. Mine feeds AA&A at 1.10 and my handloads at 1.125 perfectly. Obviously, if the slide is slightly short stroking (and like why it didn't always lock back) it may not feed regardless of the AOL. R,

I've got a buddy with a Pro he bought a couple of months ago and it is back at Smith for the 2nd time. After about 150 rounds or so his front sight loosened up and started moving around. Sent it back and in the first 100 rounds after getting it back the rear sight loosened up and was sliding back and forth. No extraction or feeding issues though. I'm secretly glad he's having the issues though cause he was closer to me in times than he has ever been before ;)