Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last weekend I went out in the rain for a practice run. Tomorrow I'm hunting for real.

However, I have a few more questions.

1. If I kill one and it drops near my tree stand, is it better to drag it out and field dress it at a different location? Will deer guts around my hunting area detract deer movement from future (as in next week) hunting at that location?

2. Do I have to field dress it? Can I check it in and then take it directly to the meat processing place and not gut it? I met a hunter in Walmart tonight and that is what he does. It's going to be in the 30's tomorrow.

3. What's the best way to get into my stand without getting hot? I know to walk slow and unzip everything. Any other advice? I know if I get hot and start sweating I'm going to FREEZE sitting there waiting for my deer to come by.

I think that's it.

Last weekend I went out in the rain for a practice run. Tomorrow I'm hunting for real.

However, I have a few more questions.

1. If I kill one and it drops near my tree stand, is it better to drag it out and field dress it at a different location? Will deer guts around my hunting area detract deer movement from future (as in next week) hunting at that location?

2. Do I have to field dress it? Can I check it in and then take it directly to the meat processing place and not gut it? I met a hunter in Walmart tonight and that is what he does. It's going to be in the 30's tomorrow.

3. What's the best way to get into my stand without getting hot? I know to walk slow and unzip everything. Any other advice? I know if I get hot and start sweating I'm going to FREEZE sitting there waiting for my deer to come by.

I think that's it.

1. While in Kentucky last week, I saw deer standing in our "carcass dump", so evidently they aren't effected by it too much, but I would not want it near my stand anyway.

2. Depends on how far you are from your processor and what the temps are like. If it is going to be that cold and you can get the animal there within a few hours, by all means take it on to the processor. My guy charges me $15 to skin the deer and he is a professional meat cutter so he does a fantastic job without wasting any meat. He even picks the rib bones clean. As big as you are into researching stuff I hope you have done equal research on your choice of processors. My guy uses sirloin roast for the ground burger and boston butt for the sausage (he doesn't use scrap or butcher rejects). When I use him, I seem to get more meat back than with some of the other guys, and he is way cheaper too. For a mature deer is usually cost me around $55 + skinning or a yearling deer is usually around $30 + skinning. Who cuts your meat and what all they give you in return is VERY important. Removing all the sinew and membrane is critical! I always age my deer for a week before they get processed. The method I use is to put the quartered deer in an ice chest and cover it in ice. I pull the plug on the ice chest and every day or so (as needed) I'll add another bag of ice. As the ice melts it washes all the blood away which helps remove some of the gamey taste from the venison. Everyone always comments on how good my meat is.

3. When it's cold and I have a hump to go before reaching the stand I wont wear my outer layer. I utilize the Scent Lock suit in a 2 piece configuration. If I have my backpack I will put my pants and top in there. If not, I will just tie the arms from the top around my neck and the legs around my waste. When I get in the stand and get settled I'll slip them on.

Hope this helps!

1. While in Kentucky last week, I saw deer standing in our "carcass dump", so evidently they aren't effected by it too much, but I would not want it near my stand anyway.

2. Depends on how far you are from your processor and what the temps are like. If it is going to be that cold and you can get the animal there within a few hours, by all means take it on to the processor. My guy charges me $15 to skin the deer and he is a professional meat cutter so he does a fantastic job without wasting any meat. He even picks the rib bones clean. As big as you are into researching stuff I hope you have done equal research on your choice of processors. My guy uses sirloin roast for the ground burger and boston butt for the sausage (he doesn't use scrap or butcher rejects). When I use him, I seem to get more meat back than with some of the other guys, and he is way cheaper too. For a mature deer is usually cost me around $55 + skinning or a yearling deer is usually around $30 + skinning. Who cuts your meat and what all they give you in return is VERY important. Removing all the sinew and membrane is critical! I always age my deer for a week before they get processed. The method I use is to put the quartered deer in an ice chest and cover it in ice. I pull the plug on the ice chest and every day or so (as needed) I'll add another bag of ice. As the ice melts it washes all the blood away which helps remove some of the gamey taste from the venison. Everyone always comments on how good my meat is.

3. When it's cold and I have a hump to go before reaching the stand I wont wear my outer layer. I utilize the Scent Lock suit in a 2 piece configuration. If I have my backpack I will put my pants and top in there. If not, I will just tie the arms from the top around my neck and the legs around my waste. When I get in the stand and get settled I'll slip them on.

Hope this helps!

Oh MAN....You are kill'in me!

No I haven't done any research on how to process the deer once I get it! I was going to have it all ground up in hamburger form :surprise:

I thought I had everything covered:

Competent and safe with 12 g shot gun with 100 yd kill zone......check

Tree stand safety (harness, lifting gun)......check

Deorderize body, gear, scent wafers, drag cloth......check

Warm clothing that wicks moisture.....check

Camo......check

Understanding stalking.....check

Tracking deer (have my orange tape to mark trail).....check

Field dressing deer (have practiced with brother on buck he killed this week, have knife)....check

Identified how to transport deer (truck to use, tagging the deer, location of check in station)....check

Identified where to take deer to process......check

Knowing what I want out of the meat :surprise::surprise:

GRRRRRR. I'm going anyway and if I see what I want I'm shooting it.

I hunt in Southern Indiana. In a day or two the coyotes would have the gut pile cleaned up, so next weekend isn't a worry. I would check with your processor concerning gutting the deer. The ones in our area want them field dressed or you will pay dearly for them to do it. On staying cool walking in, I wear as little as I can get by with, most of the time long johns and pants. Don't wear a hat, you would be surprised how much heat is lost through the scalp, be sure to have visible blaze orange though walking in to comply with the law. I wait several minutes before climbing the tree to cool down before I put on my insulated bibs on. I do this on the ground because I'm as graceful as a hog up in the stand. I carry the coat, liner and hat with me into the tree and put them on as needed. I hope this helps, it works for me. Best of luck to you!!

Jane,

If I might make some suggestions...

-Ask to have the loins left whole. They are the filet mignon of the deer. Wrap them in some thick smoked bacon, season, and grill them to your desired readiness.

-Have one back strap cut in half. This will make 2 meals for 4 in the crock pot.

-Have the other backstrap butterflied and cubed.

-Have the hams cut into cubed steaks.

-Have the shoulders and all other trimmings including rib meat and neck roast turned into sausage and ground burger.

Susan has a culinary degree from Johnson & Wales, that's the equivalent to a lawyer with a law degree from Harvard. She wasn't real fond of venison before meeting me and I assured her mine would be different than what she had in the past (due to the aging process). I was right and she LOVES deer meat. My favorite dish she makes involves cubed deer steak, brown gravy mix, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, sliced onions, and a crock pot. We can share the recipe if you're interested. The venison will absolutely fall apart it is so tender. We also have some awesome chili and spaghetti recipes.