Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the softest load for .40S&W in a limited IPSC pistol

Hagop

Clays and 220 lead is silly soft shooting, got my 220's from Jim Stinar at SNS.

200 jacketed and Clays is really nice too.

"SNS"?, please extrapolate.

Ron

• 3 months later...
The Softest and I mean the softest shooting major load for 40 ,if the softest is what your looking for and you will have to be the judge of tracking, accuaracy and all that stuff. like springing the gun for it and all that stuff.........get some 220's Moly or Lead Truncated Cones start with about 4.0 grns of WST and load at 1.190 or longer it makes major and IS THE SOFTEST. oh and about unpredictable--- with Clays be carefull....but never had any probs with WST.

Any numbers for WST an a moly 200 grain bullet?

Thanks

The Softest and I mean the softest shooting major load for 40 ,if the softest is what your looking for and you will have to be the judge of tracking, accuaracy and all that stuff. like springing the gun for it and all that stuff.........get some 220's Moly or Lead Truncated Cones start with about 4.0 grns of WST and load at 1.190 or longer it makes major and IS THE SOFTEST. oh and about unpredictable--- with Clays be carefull....but never had any probs with WST.

Thanks

I load 3.8 grains of WST with a 205 grain 40 caliber cast/moly bullet. OAL = 1.135.

Or 4.2 grains of WST with a 205 grain 40 caliber cast/moly bullet. OAL = 1.200.

Thanks

I load 3.8 grains of WST with a 205 grain 40 caliber cast/moly bullet. OAL = 1.135.

Or 4.2 grains of WST with a 205 grain 40 caliber cast/moly bullet. OAL = 1.200.

Tried 3.2 wst (oal=1.200) and up by .2 to 3.8 with a 205 grain (listed 200) International blk bullet for great accuracy out of an S_I 5" but fell short of major PF by 29 from avg vel.

Finished with another set @ 3.8 but shortened the oal to 1.150.

Noticed key-holing in the last set at the shorter oal.

Any ideas as to why, or maybe just keep it 1.200 and raise to 4.0 grains. Its over manual maximums, but is in line with an older volume.

Thanks

+1 on what Howard said about Jim and his bullets.( snscasting@hotmail.com )

I use N-320 and a 185 lead bullet and it is very soft shooting. Looking at my gun movement in videos is proof enough for me. There is almost no muzzle movement. I can take an empty case that I have shot and it will fit in a Dillon case gauge with ease. That show me there is no significant pressure.

Buddy

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting. I was browsing looking to see if somebody has a major .40 load for a Glock using Clays, which is what I use for loading minor .40. I'm using a 650 and wanted to keep one powder in my hopper for loading 1.125" length for a Glock 35. It seems I may just have to switch over to N320 when loading major for my Glock, unless somebody has a receipe for major .40 clays that won't make my Glock kaboom.

I am certainly no reloading guru.....but I'm shooting a 200gr cast lead bullet on top of 4gr of W231. Out of a Glock 35 is has a PF of just under 170 and is very soft. The only drawback is that is is a bit smokey.

Loading 4.3 grains clays to 1.125" in a Glock is fine. I've shot about 10k rounds of that load with no problems. Preferrrably size with an EGW "U" die or the Dillon sizing die and put a moderate crimp on it depending on bullet composition and you won't have any problems.

My load now is 4.4grains Regular ol Clays under a MG 180 JHP loaded to 1.150" and it fits in the Glock mag with room to spare and feeds beautifully. Makes like 171pf and feels like 160. I get accused all the time of having minor ammo.

The Clays load is a great secret for Major 40. Its extremely accurate with a low SD too.

• 1 month later...

5.3 gr SR 7625

200 gr LTC

Fed SP primer

1.200 OAL (for STI Edge)

Very soft shooting load, but wasn't that accurate in the stock STI barrel. I found out that barrel wasn't that accurate with most of my loads and swapped it out for a KKM Precision I had. Big difference, but I haven't retested the above load in it yet, as I've gone back to my bullet weight of choice in .40 which are the 155's.