Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

speed loader holders

M.E.Anglin

Safariland makes some

are those idpa legal???

Nope. The holder must encircle the speed loader and the Safariland holder does not. (The Blade-Tech doubles and singles do)

Furthermore, the rules state that no more than two speedloaders may be carried forward of the holster. With a a 'triple' holder you would be limited to having it 'behind the center-line' of your body either on your 'weak side' (OK if you do support hand reloads) or behind your holster.

Edited by Dragoon

you can probably make the 333 holder legal, cut one holder off and then you have one for infront of the holster and the pair for the weak side. The need to be a little taller to cover some of the loader, you can use some plastic/pvc tubing, just cut a little and stack it on the cup, a little pvc cement and it's good. Leave a little cutout for the locking lever and you should be good to go. I've seen the 333's for sale on ebay for less then 10 bucks sometimes.

michaels

I've been penalized for using the Safariland 333 at a club match.

I changed to the HKS ones I had laying around. For the Comp III speedloaders, which I'd recommend for the two main reload ones on your belt, you can slice the cover to allow the long handle to stick out where you can grab it just fine and pull the loader out without unsnapping or anything else.

The same guys who dinged me for the 333 let me shoot this way every month, since there's almost no carriers on the market anyway that are both realistically useable for competition and IDPA-legal.

I have another HKS holder with the flaps cut off all the way for when I have to use Comp IIs, such as when I use a Colt. Haven't had any complaints from equipment-watchers, there, either, and I made it through the Wisconsin State match using that setup last year. I suspect one gets a bit of mercy from using such antiquated equipment.

The IDPA rules for carrying revolver ammunition seem to have been written by someone who really doesn't give revolvers much thought. Why would a carrier that allows a "full moon clip" be carried wide-open in a metal holder be legal and one like the 333 not be? I suspect it's just that it doesn't get much attention.

I had a recollection that the rulebook had a prohibition on modifying ammunition carriers by cutting but I can't find it now.

Meanwhile, during cooler weather, I've simply piled a handful of Comp IIs into my Carhartt jacket pocket and reloaded from there just fine. Not digging under the cover garment seems to save the split-second you might waste orienting the speedloader from your pocket.

HKScarriers.jpg

Edited by Cherryriver

I would like to switch over to a wheelgun for idpa, what is the perfered loader holders?? I'm using the comp 2's for my S&W 19?? I see Blade tech makes a double but I would perfer 3 singles.. thanks

FWIW, I use a double BT in front of the holster and a single behind it. I don't have the same problem with double SL holders that I've had with double mag carriers, since they place the SLs a couple of inches apart. I've used them with Comp IIs and Jetloaders.