Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me please

spook

I shoot revolver class. A 625 Smith & Wesson in .45 ACP. The gun is great. Reloads are amazing.

Problem is this: Whenever I have shot about two or three clips and reload again, the new clip won't "fall in". It needs to be pushed in the last 0.2" or so. As you can imagine this is a major PITA on longcourses as it slows my reloads down enormously. I think this is due to the amount of yellow grainy residue of unburned powder.

My current load is the VV minimum of N320 with a 230 grain RN copperplated bullet. I use Federal LP 150 primers.

Now, I need a CLEAN load. What would help me get this load clean? Different powder? more crimp? magnum primers? I'd like to stick to VV powders though.

Anyone?

Thanks

Spook,

First, you need to eliminate the revolver as the source of the problem.  Does it show the same problem with factory ammo?  Perhaps the chambers are just a bit tight or rough.  Next, talk to your shooting buddies at the club.  At a practice session, try a variety of their loads, and see if any work better.

I've been running 25-2's and 625-2's for almost 20 years and haven't had a problem with any powder faster than WW-231.  (Haven't loaded much slower.)

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 7:31 am on Nov. 21, 2002)

Either bump your powder up to get a clean burn, try VV-310, or try Hogdon Clays.  I like 3.8-4.0gr of Straight clays with 230s for my 25-2 and 625.  Extremely clean and accurate, soft shooting too.  I like the VV-310, got turned onto it after reading Patrick's book on the 1911, helleuva read, makes me miss Second Chance even more seeing all the single stack supers!  Doug

Patrick, yeah it could be that the chambers are a bit rough. How can I check that? Have you experienced this before with 625's? And if you have, how does one solve that?

All my shooting buddies shoot .40's unfortunately, so I cannot try their loads. I'm the only revolver shooter in the club. And they all shoot N340, so I cannot try some faster powders either.

N310 seems like a good solution. Any nice loads you can recommend that make major?

Bill, I don't know if you're talking to me or to DougC, but I use 320 and throw the minimum from the VV data in (I just know it's 0,325 grams, dunno how much that is in grains )

Sorry for all the questions, but this is really an irriating little problem.

Thanks for all the help you guys

DougC is on the money - try 310 since it is faster and should not leave behind as much of the residue you currently find; Barring that, try straight Clays as it is VERY clean.  Cannot recomend Titegroup in .45 since I found it quite dirty in .45 while its one of the cleanest in .40 Cal (must be something about the higher pressures of the .40). Let us know what you find.

-the REAL Doug C.

Hi Spook, i remember you told me you bought  a second S&W 625. Don'know when you are gonna pick it up at the store but when you do.  First wait and see if your problem also occurs with this revolver. If not, your problems could be due to the condition of your current chambers.

Anyway, see you monday at the range

DVC

Adrie

Two ways to check chamber tightness/roughness, the shooters way and the gunsmith way.  Shooters way:  Use hot factory ammo, check extraction and look at the cases for bright lines created by the tool marks.  Gunsmith way:  Gently use a sharp, clean, (new) chamber reamer, followed by polishing either with a ceramic stone or a dremel extra fine head.

In .45, the VV-310 load is as follows;

200 gr L-SWC Oregon Trail

4.5 VV-310

any .45 case

1.245" oal

.468" taper crimp

The swc bullet won't be much fun reloading into a revolver, but the load is a tackdriver and soft to shoot.  For 230's, I'd drop down to 4.0 and work up with a chronograph.