Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scaled target for dryfire/softair practice, various ranges

jnikoley

I recently posted some scaled targets i've been using for dry fire practice and soft air. They were pretty basic, and I have created much improved targets. The pdf's have both IPSC and IDPA scaled targets with many different variations of hard cover and threat/non-threat. They are properly scaled for use at 10 ft to simulate targets as they would appear at different distances. Each file is named by the simulated target range they are scaled to simulate at 10 ft. I invite other's to post their scaled targets as well. Enjoy....

Scaled_IPSC__IDPA_10M_at_10ft__10y_at_9_ft.pdf

15M_reduced_targets.pdf

20M_reduced_targets.pdf

30M_reduced_targets.pdf

50M_reduced.pdf

I recently posted some scaled targets i've been using for dry fire practice and soft air. They were pretty basic, and I have created much improved targets. The pdf's have both IPSC and IDPA scaled targets with many different variations of hard cover and threat/non-threat. They are properly scaled for use at 10 ft to simulate targets as they would appear at different distances. Each file is named by the simulated target range they are scaled to simulate at 10 ft. I invite other's to post their scaled targets as well. Enjoy....

Thanks Jason and welcome to the forum. Did you get your STI up and running? Those were some fast splits ;)

Edited by baerburtchell

Thanks Jason and welcome to the forum. Did you get your STI up and running? Those were some fast splits ;)

Yeah, I completely re-did the trigger job. It's good now.... I put 500 rds through it, no more full-auto.

Thanks. Hope to see you at area 4.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, complete noob here.

Hi nikoley, thanks for your scaled targets. Got a few questions which I hope you and the others may help to answers.

Can I use your scaled targets for live round practice? What is the drawback?

I'm terrible at following simple instructions, say for the file '50M Reduced' I just place these at 10ft away and it basically mimics the standard IPSC target sitting at 50M away, right?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I sounded noob.

:cheers:

Hi guys, complete noob here.

Hi nikoley, thanks for your scaled targets. Got a few questions which I hope you and the others may help to answers.

Can I use your scaled targets for live round practice? What is the drawback?

I'm terrible at following simple instructions, say for the file '50M Reduced' I just place these at 10ft away and it basically mimics the standard IPSC target sitting at 50M away, right?

Thanks in advance and sorry if I sounded noob.

:cheers:

Thats correct, If you set them at 10 feet, it would be accurate for 50 Meters and placing them at 9 feet mimics 50 Yards. There's no reason you couldn't use the targets for live fire, but they get used up rather quickly with "big" bullet holes. The bullet will also impact slightly lower at 9 feet than at 10 - 50 yards, and even more so if you shoot a scope. On a full sized target it wouldn't matter, but for the much smaller scaled targets, it becomes a factor. I correct for this by placing the targets further out and use the larger scaled targets. For my fixed sight sti, if I want to practice "Long range standards" with the scaled targets, I use the "15M reduced" targets and place them at 10 Meters to simulate Full sized targets at 50 Meters. I place them at 10 meters because that's where the bullet path for my gun first crosses the line of sight for a 50M "zero". This could be different for your gun, especially if you use a scope. If you do a search on the web, you can find a bunch of free ballistic calculators you can use to determine where your bullet first crosses your line of sight for a given gun/zero. The only other disadvantage to the scaled targets is that your eyes are not focusing like they would be on a full sized target at actual range. This applies weather you are using them for live fire, dry fire, or whatever. The best thing to do of course would be to use real targets at actual ranges for all practice, but that's just not practical. I'm sure none of the drawbacks I mentioned are a big enough deal to worry much about. I only mention them because you asked. BTW, a fellow newbie welcomes you. Take care.

Thats correct, If you set them at 10 feet, it would be accurate for 50 Meters and placing them at 9 feet mimics 50 Yards. There's no reason you couldn't use the targets for live fire, but they get used up rather quickly with "big" bullet holes. The bullet will also impact slightly lower at 9 feet than at 10 - 50 yards, and even more so if you shoot a scope. On a full sized target it wouldn't matter, but for the much smaller scaled targets, it becomes a factor. I correct for this by placing the targets further out and use the larger scaled targets. For my fixed sight sti, if I want to practice "Long range standards" with the scaled targets, I use the "15M reduced" targets and place them at 10 Meters to simulate Full sized targets at 50 Meters. I place them at 10 meters because that's where the bullet path for my gun first crosses the line of sight for a 50M "zero". This could be different for your gun, especially if you use a scope. If you do a search on the web, you can find a bunch of free ballistic calculators you can use to determine where your bullet first crosses your line of sight for a given gun/zero. The only other disadvantage to the scaled targets is that your eyes are not focusing like they would be on a full sized target at actual range. This applies weather you are using them for live fire, dry fire, or whatever. The best thing to do of course would be to use real targets at actual ranges for all practice, but that's just not practical. I'm sure none of the drawbacks I mentioned are a big enough deal to worry much about. I only mention them because you asked. BTW, a fellow newbie welcomes you. Take care.

Thanks jnikoley :cheers:

• 4 months later...

Met the guys from Bamairsoft.com at the Golden Bullet. Couple of good guys who are making some really cool airsoft training stuff. Popper, plate racks, metric, colt speed and a timer device that plugs into you regular timer. Pretty good shooters also.

Met the guys from Bamairsoft.com at the Golden Bullet. Couple of good guys who are making some really cool airsoft training stuff. Popper, plate racks, metric, colt speed and a timer device that plugs into you regular timer. Pretty good shooters also.

Another nice thing about the BAM targets - they're steel, not aluminum, and will stand up to the pellet strikes w/o denting like some of the aluminum jobs I've seen. I've got mine set up to not fall with the hit (the ring is good enough for me, and saves me having to reset the several single poppers I got). Braced, though, they have to absorb more of the energy of the pellet.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I completely re-did the trigger job. It's good now.... I put 500 rds through it, no more full-auto.

Thanks. Hope to see you at area 4.

That's great to hear... that trigger has been vexing you for a while now! Looks like my 3rd Saturday is freeing up for USPSA in Waco so it looks like I'll be shooting USPSA matches a lot more than in the past. Paul is working on me to shoot Area 4.

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...