Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye

Rising Sight

In attempting to shoot Bullseye with a 45 and typical 200 swc loads, I find it difficult to score using the classic method of taking the stance and lowering the sights down on to the target. Some how I seem to need to push the gun into the sight picture to deal with the moment of recoil. 10 meter air pistol is completely different but if I am going to use it to train to shoot the 1911, I want to use the same technique. Am I missing something obvious here?

The old fashioned way involved the high start and then lowering the gun to the bullseye. Some ranges don't allow that at all now.

With both guns, lift the gun from the bench, align the sights and get them aimed at the right spot on the target. Accept the wobble. Then press the trigger straight back without disturbing the sight alignment or moving it with your finger. Be sure to follow through -- as in hold the sight alignment just that way until after the gun goes off. Recover from the recoil after the follow through, not before.

• 3 weeks later...

That is exactly how a member of the Army Team explained it to me. Once you have your sight picture there will be a little wobble but don't wait to try and get the gun to be still as it won't, just start squeasing once you have your sight picture and follow thru just like the guy above me said.

On another note, I have given up shooting Bullseye due to physical reason's and I already sold my Pardini.

I started out as a Bullseye shooter. My scores hit a plateau where I was shooting solid Expert scores with the .22 and high Sharpshooter scores with the .45. I finally got burned out when I wasn't seeing any improvement and came over to the dark side of practical shooting.

• 4 weeks later...

Bullseye shooting IMHO gave me all the descipline that a good shooter needs to become more consistent. After shooting Bullseye for years I too started shooting other desciplines and everything I learned kept my scoring very even while I watched others flounder around, the spray and pray type ;) I suggested to them to find a leaque somewhere and start shooting Bullseye and they would see there scores become better some listened and others did not. The Basics is what I have seen lacking in alot of shooters and there is no better place to have them ground into you other than Bullseye!

Since this is the Bullseye forum I want to let you know that due to some nerve problems I have had to stop shooting just when I picked up the sweetest 1911 45! I waited years to get this gun and sadly I have put it up in the classified section, It was built by Larry Leutenegger who was an armorer for the AMU sometime in the 80's.

Robert

• 1 month later...

wow, funny how i stumbled onto this thread, just last week i dragged out my old bullseye toys and letthem seethe light of day again, was using a 4 inch steel plate at 50 yrds (cuz i was too lazy to use a paper target and wanted feedback) the pardini SP did really well, without a scope like brian's(tho now im really gonna 'dot' mine now) i only dropped 10 shots out of 200....the hammerli 280 was a whole nuther animal to get used to....

• 1 month later...

Lately I have been able to almost tell when I have shot a ten from the way the gun recoils and my follow through on the target.

I'm guessing its a consistent grip and muscle tension. This causes the consistent recoil.

Being able to shoot within my wobble be it a 7 or 10 ring on various days is a good thing.

I'm shooting an indoor bullseye league this winter. I'm curious to see what effect it has on my action pistol shooting when the season ramps up in the spring. One thing I've found is that immediately confirming my shot calls with the spotting scope in slow fire has really improved my shot calling across all guns.

• 3 weeks later...

I shoot Bullseye--it's the only game I shoot (I don't shoot anything else). I compete in my local .22 indoor league, as well as outdoor 2700s. I'm an oddball, though, shooting it with all revolvers:

4088141501_4f44b0a785.jpg

I suppose I'm pretty young at 26 years old and soon enough I'll try something else, but not until I've got that Master classification card for indoor and outdoor.