Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye

Rising Sight

A friend of mine talked me into doing some indoor rimfire bullseye shooting through the winter. This is going to be my first shot at shooting bullseye.

How many bullseye shooters do we have here?

Probably not many that work at it. But there's at least one.

I shoot in an indoor league as well. It has really helped me in calling my shots.

Here's a picture of the equipment!

A Pardini! Good choice.

NRA Conventional Pistol aka Bullseye doesn't have the "fun factor" that the action shooting games have, but if more would try it, they certainly would learn much about the marksmanship side of time based scoring!

MJ :cheers:

I just started about a week and a half ago. My buddy let me use a 1911 with a Marvel topend on it. I dusted off my Buckmark to give that a try too.

I can see myself shooting in a bullseye league through the winter. If nothing else its a warm place to hang out with other shooters.

A guy at our club who used to shoot Bullseye years ago tried to start up some matches. He taught us the basics with .22 rimfire pistols.

I think it's fun for a change. It's cheap and the matches are short. Slow-fire at 50yds. is just plain hard, but that is the part that hooks me. I know I can improve with proper practice.

Trouble was people quiting. A couple of us broke 270-plus and everyone else was around 175-230 for the match.

I think it is a great sport that teaches how important a clean trigger pull and proper eye focus can be. The matches are really easy to set-up and score. They should be more popular.

My buddy that got me started does this is a Master class shooter. He shoots a high 280 on a bad day.

The group of guys that I will be shooting with are mostly retired.It would be nice to see some younger people starting to do this type of shooting.

My buddy that got me started does this is a Master class shooter. He shoots a high 280 on a bad day.

The group of guys that I will be shooting with are mostly retired.It would be nice to see some younger people starting to do this type of shooting.

Agreed, many of us grew up with Sgt York and the likes of slow deliberate shots, ala Carlos Hathcock. The younger crowd grew up with the Terminator and video games so they are more tuned to the very rapid fire styles of shooting as is found in IPSC/USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge and even NRA Action Pistol.

In the "other" games holster draw speed, physical agility and reloading skills play a very critical role in the outcome of shooters scoring. In conventional pistol it comes down to good equipment and vital application of the fundamentals of shooting with critical application of trigger control. To me in BE, the trigger is the eraser. One can do absolutely everything perfect, but if trigger control is bad, you just erased it all. On the contrary, with excellent trigger control, one may be able to get away with less than ideal sight picture, stance, or even a slightly less accurate gun. Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

I have shot 1496 out of 1500 in PPC and I have shot a 1920 out of 1920 in NRA AP, but in BE, the best I have mustered is 289 in NMC and 846 in the single gun aggregate. But I am very new to it, and learn something all the time. Pick up a gun and try some one handed shooting at 50 yds on a target with a 3" ten ring. That will teach you something about yourself, your equipment and your conscious and subconscious mind.

All shooting sports are good, and they all bring something to the table. One course meals are seldom good. We all need to expand our horizons in the shooting sports, as there is much to be learned from other disciplines which carries over.

Hold 'em and squeeze 'em.

MJ

MJ

Our club has an indoor winter bullseye league. I have thought about doing the rimfire side but don't know if my ruger 22/45 is the ideal gun for it. If i just put a red dot on it should I be Ok to get a feel for the one handed shooting to see if it appeals to me?

Our club has an indoor winter bullseye league. I have thought about doing the rimfire side but don't know if my ruger 22/45 is the ideal gun for it. If i just put a red dot on it should I be Ok to get a feel for the one handed shooting to see if it appeals to me?

Not ideal but the Rugers have always been popular as starter 22s and they're usually good enough to shoot master scores. The 22/45 has an advantage over the normal ruger because the grip angle is the same as the 45 where the normal ruger feels more european.

After a long lay off I'm planning on starting to shoot some bullseye or at least start doing some practice. It's been about 10 years since I shot a match. My pistols of choice are scoped High Standards. I started using a scope in 1969 and never converted to the red dot sights. IPSC is fun, but so is bullseye and any time that I can pull the trigger and make loud noises is fine with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I also used to shoot Bullseye with a Nygord Pardini SP but due to some physical and nerve problems I have had to stop shooting. I really miss shooting this sport as it taught me more about shooting than any other discipline out there. The people are for the most part a great group and it was always relaxing to shoot! The Pardini made it easier as well, God rest his soul but Don Nygord was a great man and knew what it took and would only sell the best pistols for the sport!

As a side note I have decided to sell my equipment in the classified section after much deliberation.

Robert

• 1 month later...

As I get slower in action shooting sports, I find Bullseye a challenge and plenty of fun.

We shoot, we score and complain about physical and mental faults. Great shooting game for Men or Women.

I look forward to the twice weekly matches in Colorado Springs.

My 1911 started its life as a bullseye gun with a front site that was about 1/2" high and bomars high mounted. The family friend I inherited it from used to shoot bullseye in the Navy back in the 1970's with it. Just so happens it has made a great practical shooting gun with the sights swapped out for FO and low mounted rear. I wouldn't mind giving bullseye a shot sometime with a .22 I have or even this .45 for giggles.

• 3 weeks later...

I too shoot in a winter bulleys league with a Pardini (Don Nygord Master) and love it. Very different than action shooting and can be humbling. The best I have mustered was a couple 287's. We have many shooters in our league that shoot with Ruger Mk I, II & III's, and they can be very competitive. In fact one of the top shooters (averages in the mid-high 290's, and regularly shoots 294-295 with a Ruger). The accuracy is definitely there, but much work must be done on the Ruger trigger to make it a good bulleye gun. A store in ME took over when Nygord passed away and I believe is the best (maybe only) source of new Pardini's. One thing I can say for sure about my Pardini, is that it just plain shoots. I have had one alibi in 6 seasons, and that was after tempting the gods by saying before the match 'you know I have never had an alibi'! What was I thinking.... Most Pardini shooters I know feed high end ammo (I feed RWS target in mine - an it loves it).

I run a local indoor League at our club.

We shoot Fall and Spring, twice a week.

Lots of fun.

A very diffrent group of shooters than the "action game" crowd.

You must become one with the wobble. :roflol:

I learned shooting via bullseye. I have really had my ups and downs with it. Everything from a 0 at 50 yards to a 99 and 8x's at 25 yard rapid fire. It comes to a matter of trigger control and controlling your mind. I am going to try to do some this year. I have a Walther GSP and have just bought a Pardini to play with.

One thing I have noticed though is a lot of people consider two handed shooting bullseye. True bullseye is all about one handed shooting.

Edited by Kingman

• 2 months later...

In attempting to shoot Bullseye with a 45 and typical 200 swc loads, I find it difficult to score using the classic method of taking the stance and lowering the sights down on to the target. Some how I seem to need to push the gun into the sight picture to deal with the moment of recoil. 10 meter air pistol is completely different but if I am going to use it to train to shoot the 1911, I want to use the same technique. Am I missing something obvious here?

I learned shooting via bullseye. I have really had my ups and downs with it. Everything from a 0 at 50 yards to a 99 and 8x's at 25 yard rapid fire. It comes to a matter of trigger control and controlling your mind. I am going to try to do some this year. I have a Walther GSP and have just bought a Pardini to play with.

One thing I have noticed though is a lot of people consider two handed shooting bullseye. True bullseye is all about one handed shooting.

Don't try to overcome or compensate for the recoil. The secret is to hold still through the shot. Keep all muscle tension the same until the hole is in the target.

This is the same for all pistol, revolver and rifle shooting if you want to hit the same place time after time.