Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

change over to Hodgdon Titegroup.

M ammo

Used TG for the load I shot at Area 2 last week.

G35 and a stock barrel.

Zero 180gr JHP

WSP primer

Mixed brass

4.35 to 4.4 grains TG

173 power factor

Temp approx 60*

Careful...this load might break your gun and destroy villages.

Won't use TG with lead. Don't use it period in 90+ degree weather.

Unique in the "perfect" propellant for lead bullets IMO.

Jim

6" FF, 4.4g TG and 170g Precision = 169PF for me. Long stand and shoot then the smoke is a problem... Over the past two seasons I think I've noticed the smoke bothering me maybe two or three times. I prefer the snappy feel this combo gives me in my gun, 36.9oz., feels more like my open gun. Runs back into my hand quickly but doesn't seem to flip too much. I know thats a poor explanation but I'm a poor linguist.

I have some American Select on hand, may give it a try.

I use Titegroup in 9mm, .40, and .45. It works great with jacketed bullets and full power loads-but I didn't like it with lead and/or reduced loads. Smokes badly with lead. As far as being dirty, it leaves a fine gray/black dust all over which you can easily wipe off with a dry cloth. It gets much dirtier (doesn't burn completely) with low pressure loads. I haven't noticed any worse temperature sensitivity than other powders. I was using it (9mm) at Area 1 this year when the temperature was well over 100 degrees and I chronoed at 135 PF instead of the usual 130-132...

Anyone ever try Accurate # 2? I loaded a few hundred rounds with it and it smoked less and the sights tracked really well.

I use Accurate #2 for minor loads in .40 in a G35 and STI. Low smoke, low muzzle flash and a SD of usually less than 5.

For major loads in .40 I use N320.

Keith

I love AA #2. Shot it for a while when I was using 45acp. Really fast burning, clean and you only use a little of it [ a pound loads a lot of cartridges]. Gun handled well with it because of its easy, fast recoil. Need to retry it for some of the other calibers I reload.

• 7 years later...

I will also vote WST. I tried titegroup and n320 in .40 and just didn't care for them. TG burned too hot and I use coated lead bullets, and 320 used more powder to make major, is significantly more expensive, and seemed to recoil harsher.

Now, my n320 is strictly for 9mm, which I think it is spectacular for.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2008 at 4:15 PM, ebg3 said:

+1 on the Unique.

I've dropped back to VV330 when shooting lead and have less barrel fouling than with VV320. VV340 has even less leading. The slower burning powders seem to work best wih lead.

I blew up two XDM .40 frames using Unique, 180 grain lead, and PMC brass. This combination certainly is one to be avoided. It caused case head separation and cracked the frame every time. The loads were right at the major PF of 168. In total there were at least 4 cases of mine that blew, and I triple checked the load level, took about 100 apart and they were all well within the load restrictions.

Edited by mont1120

• 4 weeks later...

I saw someone was using e3. I really want to try it but I can't find any. I've been trying to get some for a few years now actually, just can't seem to get any. I use solo currently, but I get annoyed with it flaking. Trying to find the best powder all around for pistol calibers.

• 2 weeks later...