Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I got invited to shoot sporting clays for the first time

-JQ-

As I spread the shooting bug to my buddies - now they spread it back to me...

I've got my Benelli M1S90 from Benny with 9+1...maybe I can make them think it is just another O/U? :roflol:

I have a IC Briley choke in right now I read that might get me through OK?

Hey where's my Triangle hat??

Bring all of your chokes and a good choke wrench.

Depending on the distance and the presentation, you might best be served with anything from cylinder to light mod. The SC shooters will look over the course and then decide what chokes are best and change them accordingly.

If going for points and feeling lazy, I've shot entire courses with IC. If shooting for practice (i.e. making it a little bit harder) I've shot entire courses with IM.

If you have one, a pouch hanging from your belt to hold spare shells is handy. You will only be allowed to load the number of shells you need at the stage. For example, your first stage is a report pair headed away from your position. You may be shooting this pair 5 times. You are limited to loading two shells each time.

If shooting with some experienced shooters, don't be shy. Ask questions. 99.9% of the SC shooters out there are more than willing to help.

Bill

Yeah just ask questions just like you did when you started USPSA.

Guys for the most part are great and have a sense of humor.

When I shot my first match they kept telling me where to stand etc.

They thought I did pretty well shooting my 870 from the 80's next time I showed up with my tactical shot gun.

They all thought I was crazy but improved by + 3 clays so was very happy.

Oh yeah have fun...

Only got to shoot SC one time & did so with my 1100 set up for 3-gun with an IC tube.. Got a lot of funny looks but did OK with 35/50. Can't wait to go again.

Shoot the shotgun you are used to; you'll do OK.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, how did you do? My wife's step-father (now deceased) was a fine SC shooter. I would go with him and shoot regularly for about a year. He is the reason I can actually hit birds on the occasion that I go out and hunt. I think that can be just as addicting a sport as USPSA. I really like the mini pairs that they throw from behind you and the rising away pairs as they are the hardest for me. "GET ON THE GUN!" Haven't heard that phrase since Al died. Sure miss him.